Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Chalmers on East Jefferson

Scaffolding is now covering the front of the Chalmers Building on East Jefferson. Anyone have information?

I saw that yesterday I'm not sure...I hope they're going to do something other than tear it down.

Address???

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    Address???
    Google this address: 14432 E. Jefferson Ave. Detroit, MI

The Chalmers Building's new name is Chalmers Square it is being refurbished. It's going to be low-income apartments [[MSHDA). I'm guessing they're going to refurbish the whole block between Chalmers and Marlborough. There are some businesses in the block but most are closed.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; January-10-11 at 08:53 PM.

Default Gem of a Building

The Building on the southeast corner is one of my favorites, it has several stone face motifs on the top facade. I remember walking up to the Dime store or Sanders when I was a kid and counting the different faces, the brick work is awesome also. I believe way back when there used to be a Cunninghams Drug store there.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    The Building on the southeast corner is one of my favorites, it has several stone face motifs on the top facade. I remember walking up to the Dime store or Sanders when I was a kid and counting the different faces, the brick work is awesome also. I believe way back when there used to be a Cunninghams Drug store there.
    You're right there was a Cunningham's Drug Store. There was also two Kresge's, Neisner's, Winkleman's, Alberts, Secretary of State, Edison, Cinderella & Lakewood theaters, a Great Scott Supermarket, a Goodyear and a lot more that I have probably forgotten. There was a jewelry store where all the kids got their high school class rings. I don't remember the name of it. You didn't have to go downtown to shop because everything was there. When you did go downtown it was special [[especially when you went with just your friends).
    Last edited by EastsideQT; January-10-11 at 08:58 PM.

fix the VANITY BALLROOM NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    fix the vanity ballroom now!

Amen...Amen...Amen....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    fix the VANITY BALLROOM NOW!
    Thats what I say!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    The Chalmers Building's new name is Chalmers Square it is being refurbished. It's going to be low-income apartments [[MSHDA). I'm guessing they're going to refurbish the whole block between Chalmers and Marlborough. There are some businesses in the block but most are closed.
    Three years ago I had saw an article in the Grosse Pointe newspaper which had said what was planned for that area. The area was suppose to be a residential/retail district with an grassy island in the middle such as the island in the middle of Jefferson in Grosse Pointe. The remaining homes north of Jefferson were to be razed and redevelopment was due for the area of Jefferson between Newport and Alter. Something had happened to cause a delay in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    You're right there was a Cunningham's Drug Store. There was also two Kresge's, Neisner's, Winkleman's, Alberts, Secretary of State, Edison, Cinderella & Lakewood theaters, a Great Scott Supermarket, a Goodyear and a lot more that I have probably forgotten. There was a jewelry store where all the kids got their high school class rings. I don't remember the name of it. You didn't have to go downtown to shop because everything was there. When you did go downtown it was special [[especially when you went with just your friends).
    EASTSIDE QT
    You painted a great image in everyones minds eye

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    EASTSIDE QT
    You painted a great image in everyones minds eye
    Thanks...

Here's a little something from Model D in 2009 regarding this development....glad to see its coming to fruition!:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...ckson0005.aspx
    6-24-2009

Chalmers Square

Shelborne Development is the developer that will renovate and rehabilitate three buildings on Detroit's east side to create a mixture of low-income and market-rate units, for a total of 49 loft-style apartments along with 18,000 sq. ft. of retail space on E. Jefferson. The buildings are located at 14401 and 14436 E. Jefferson and 1025 Newport St.
    Total investment for the project is estimated at $9.3 million for an expected MBT credit of $1.4 million.

I was excited to hear of this renovation! I think the Jefferson-chalmers area is one of the coolest areas in town. The structures along jefferson are some of the best in the city and it seems like some activity has slowly come back. Between the solid houses, retail potential on jefferson, proximity to the water, grosse point next door, and a straight shot to downtown [[think future light rail corridor) I have a hunch that this area will make a strong comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    I was excited to hear of this renovation! I think the Jefferson-chalmers area is one of the coolest areas in town. The structures along jefferson are some of the best in the city and it seems like some activity has slowly come back. Between the solid houses, retail potential on jefferson, proximity to the water, grosse point next door, and a straight shot to downtown [[think future light rail corridor) I have a hunch that this area will make a strong comeback.
    I had noticed work is being done to the space above the Chalmers Market or may we say "Hoodlum hangout". I hope that the market close down and another mom and pop real market open in it's place. I think that it will be a good idea to let the Grosse Pointe Police patrol that area once it become renovated and open for business. Detroit is not serious in hiring more police officers and shoppers as well as residents will have the need to feel safe. It will keep the element that is being removed from the area from returning

Circa 1966 or so, on the SW corner of Lakewood and Jefferson was Mushro's Children's Corner which sold kids clothes. It was on the ground floor of an apartment building. Crossing Lakewood, going east toward Chalmers was Kresge's, Sanders, and Gino's Pizza. Across Jefferson was Bill's Schwinn Bike Shop. If you left Bills and walked west on Jefferson, past the Vanity, you would soon come to a record store called Mellow Music with a round sign like a record hanging out over the sidewalk. Keep going west to the Great Scott and the Jefferson Bowling Lanes were upstairs from the super market. You could hear the pins drop while you shopped. You could walk take in a movie at the Cinderella and then walk back across Jefferson to a casual restaurant called, I think, Cardinale's. There's is probably a lot of other stuff I missed, but I was a kid then and rode a bike, I bowled, I ate pizza and hot fudge sundaes, and saw Goldfinger and Viva Las Vegas at the Cinderella and bought my first record at Mellow Music. My parents met at the Vanity.

Chalmers Square is getting a nice face lift. Image here:

http://hereisdetroit.blogspot.com/

Are those going to be condos? I hope they renovate the movie thatre. In the original drawing there is an grassy island in the middle of Jefferson that extends to Jefferson and Alter.. Is the tire warehouse that sit on the corner of Ashland nad Jefferson vacant? I had noticed new window were installed earlier this year. I notice lights are on in the former Rent-a-Center building on Jefferson and Alter.