Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit may edge out Chicago to star as Gotham City in next Batman film

Perhaps there's something symbolic in "The Dark Knight Rises" being filmed in Detroit.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-‘Batman’-film

Detroit would be perfect for it.

Go grab a MetroTimes. http://metrotimes.com/culture/dark-stars-1.1085684

The heck with the Gotham City moniker. Just title the movie "Batman goes to Detroit".

I take it they'll be going for a post-apocalyptic Gotham City this time...

Yes, I know framing is everything in the movie biz, and with the right framing even Detroit can be made to look alive, so I was only half-serious about that comment.

Okay, flame away.

Detroit is the perfect Gotham city. I have thought this for years.The ambient lighting downtown, interesting shadows, and spooky vibes at night are perfect. In fact, I found myself thinking during the Dark Knight how much better Detroit could have performed in some of the scenes.

So who wants to be a stunt double for the fight seen on the Book fire escape?

Detroit indeed would make for some great Gotham City film footage.... Evenything about Gotham City in the movies appears on a massive scale, and usually resembling early 20th century architecture.

Some great Detroit filming locations...

1) the inside of the Guardian Building... if any Detroit Building screams "Gotham City" it is the Guardian Building... inside and out.... the massive over the top Art Deco lobby and former main banking hall would be spectacular in a Batman movie.

2) the Fisher Lobby... again dazzling and on a grand scale.

3) the Fox Theatre interior.... both 6 story lobby and 10 story auditorium... need one ask why??

4) the double imperial grand staircase of the Main Public Library.... when you go into the front entrance and then take one of the 4 sets of modest stairs up to the 2nd floor you are unexpectedly confronted by one of the 4 grandest staircases in the world... the other 3 being the USA Library of Congress, the Paris Garnier Opera House, and the Imperial Staircase at the Wurzburg Residenz in Germany. Not even the Palace of Versailles has a staircase anywhere near as vast and over the top as the barrel vaulted and stained glass wonder at the Public Library.

5) the 4 story grand marble lobby of the David Whitney Building.... Daniel Burnham's lavish marble atrium is on a huge and opulent scale.

6) the former auditorium of the Michigan Theatre... every movie crew loves this space. Also as grand is the 4 story domed soaring great false arched window above the former Michigan Theatre entrance... no space in the country quite compares with the inside of this mirrored wonder.

7) Great Hall and Rivera Court of the DIA.... again massive and beautiful.

8) The stepped back top of the Penobscot Building.... when it's lit up at night it would make a great site for a battle scene near the top of Detroits most "set back" skyscraper!

Also... both the MCS and the Book Tower have a soaring massive, almost terrifying look.. that would be well suited to scenes in a Batman movie.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-07-11 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I take it they'll be going for a post-apocalyptic Gotham City this time...

Yes, I know framing is everything in the movie biz, and with the right framing even Detroit can be made to look alive, so I was only half-serious about that comment.

Okay, flame away.
    Uh, have you ever seen a Batman movie? They all go for the "post-apocalyptic Gotham City" feel...

Default Next Batman filming in the D?

http://www.beforethetrailer.com/2011...d-not-chicago/

What buildings would you like to see used in the new film?

/Michigan Central Depot not allowed [[too easy)

Definitely Book Tower and the Guardian building. They are iconic. And all the details on the top would make for a great..."hanging off the edge of a building moment."

All I can think of is the Michigan Central Depot being part of the movie

I think alot of this may have to do with the incentives being offered by Michigan and the logistics of filming a movie in Detroit. Michigan has been incredibly competitive in their offerings, and I just think about the complexities of filming when they did T3 in downtown Chicago. It required huge resources of staff and police to manage commuters and tourists during the filming. We had to go in through check-in procedures just to get into my office building. To shut down some of the busiest streets, alter scheduling of a mass transit trunkline I'm sure didn't come cheap either.

It's possible that it's just easier to film in downtown Detroit. Far less people, streets can be closed with minimal disruption, vacant floor space to use for shooting, and plenty of highrise building stock to use as a background.

Great list Gistok!

Add:
    -Edsel Ford Mansion [[ Bad guy's or Bruce Wayne's mansion)
    -Elwood Diner
    -Interiors of the Masonic Temple
    -Belle Isle Arboretum

Pretty rich visual environment...

It would be great to see this!

Crossing my fingers.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I think alot of this may have to do with the incentives being offered by Michigan and the logistics of filming a movie in Detroit. Michigan has been incredibly competitive in their offerings, and I just think about the complexities of filming when they did T3 in downtown Chicago. It required huge resources of staff and police to manage commuters and tourists during the filming. We had to go in through check-in procedures just to get into my office building. To shut down some of the busiest streets, alter scheduling of a mass transit trunkline I'm sure didn't come cheap either.

It's possible that it's just easier to film in downtown Detroit. Far less people, streets can be closed with minimal disruption, vacant floor space to use for shooting, and plenty of highrise building stock to use as a background.

I think you're right, and you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post

I think it's 80% the film incentives and 20% Detroit having an abundance of art deco architecture to play the role. I highly doubt that the complexities of filming in Chicago played much into the decision... As Chicago would have probably bent over backwards to accommodate them had they been the pick city.

Vox Guest

And as the Batman series are shot mostly as night scenes, any large city will do. Especially one that could roll up the sidewalks at night, for the most part, without any disruption.

Perhaps they'll demo the MCS like they did that building in the last Batman movie. Either that or use it as the "villains" hideout. That place is uber creepy. No CG necessary. Either that or maybe the Ford since they're going to tear it down anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Go grab a MetroTimes. http://metrotimes.com/culture/dark-stars-1.1085684

The heck with the Gotham City moniker. Just title the movie "Batman goes to Detroit".
    I'd call it "The Dark Knight Does Detroit."

Take that CHICAGO! with your fancy New York like Downtown skyline!