Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default OC now 'poaching' from Hamtramck

http://www.freep.com/article/2011010...t-of-Hamtramck

Stated tongue in cheek but given the regional outrage over Rock moving to Detroit, BCBS moving more employees to Detroit and Bing stating that he would like the Pistons in Detroit I would expect that these same regional leaders would implore Kowalski to stay in Hamtown.

I don't really think there's regional outrage over the Rock and BCBS going to downtown Detroit.

I live in Warren and I'm glad to see Detroit getting a boost. Hopefully the entire region can prosper together. The suburbs are doing fine, yes times have been rough, but the suburbs are fine. It's Detroit that's struggling, so seeing BCBS and Rock go downtown is a good thing in my suburban opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I don't really think there's regional outrage over the Rock and BCBS going to downtown Detroit.
    I would characterize it more as a media instigated outrage. Or maybe a mayor of Livonia and Oakland County Executive's outrage.

DetroitPole Guest

I seriously hope this does not happen.

I know Hamtramck is in dire straights financially, but Madison Heights, really? Could there be a shittier place ever, anywhere?

Why are the people of this region still stuck in the 1970's?

And yes, whenever a company or person moves from Detroit [[or a Detroit enclave, now) it is simply regionalism and free trade at work. Whenver a company or person moves from the greatest county in the galaxy, Oakland, it is poaching. Boo hiss.

Michigan is the only state to lose population in the country.
    Detroit has been, well, Detroit as we know it, for decades.
    Yet where have we seen a glimmer growth and prosperity in the past ten years?
    The Cass Corridor, of all places. True urban environs are the future. Not Madison-fucking-Heights. Hamtramck is one of those places.

At least it is on the City of Hamtramck's radar and hopefully they can correct this. Although their plate is currently full without a helping of rotten kielbasa.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I would characterize it more as a media instigated outrage. Or maybe a mayor of Livonia and Oakland County Executive's outrage.
    I agree. I was trying to start some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'd amend that to include Warren mayor. At least with all of the posturing he's done to try and buck the trend, taking GM out of Detroit and strong language about taking over Detroit Water...

It would be sad for Hamtramck to lose Kowalski Sausage. In their defence, I think that after the 1967 riots, all the poles that could afford to move, moved to Sterlling Heights, so it might make more sense for the company to be closer to its customers ... or something.

But still, I sure would hate to see that famous, iconic, neon Kowaslski sign taken down.

A friend was saying that Kowalski's owner has been crabbing every year for another tax deal, and usually gets them. If he moves, then it's just further proof that tax incentives really don't work. Anyway, I'm with Gannon: Other than being located in Hamtramck and the goodwill generated from that iconic sign, what sets them apart? Just another label at the Kroger.

I haven't been in the area for a while but aren't there several old, unoccupied factories that could be refurbished for Kowalski to expand into? Revitalize rather than abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Other than being located in Hamtramck and the goodwill generated from that iconic sign, what sets them apart? Just another label at the Kroger.
    Srodek's fresh kielbasa is better but, IMHO, nobody beats Kowalski's smoked kielbasa and krakowska.

So y'all can follow...'nerd read my comments on Facebook. Here they are...

Funny, I drove by there yesterday...thinking of the great nights at the 1923 Cafe, when we did an Open Mic there...with the Kowalski sign always in the background, at least from my perspective off the soundboard.

Curious why they think any move would do them true and lasting good?! It appears to be a game of giving away tax incentives in favor of the employees paying it back through their income taxation. [[I didn't know Hamtramck had income tax similar to Detroit's...1/2% for residents, 1% for non-residents)

I'm not sure anyone wins in any way regardless where this factory goes. But a fine institution seems to be forgetting the momentum from 80 years of history, they may never recover the loss of the pride of continuing in this space in this town.

If they go north of 8 mile, I'll have no solid and compelling reason to consider them above any other encased meat product. They will no longer be special.

they all threaten to move. Then they get their tax break. Thn they stay. Harley-D is an example.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    It would be sad for Hamtramck to lose Kowalski Sausage. In their defence, I think that after the 1967 riots, all the poles that could afford to move, moved to Sterlling Heights, so it might make more sense for the company to be closer to its customers ... or something.

But still, I sure would hate to see that famous, iconic, neon Kowaslski sign taken down.
    Blind, Juner, Sonnny Boy, Little Ricky, you bin reading Tom Tommorrow, 'or something'?

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post

That is simply not true. In 1970, Hamtramck reached its peak of Polish residents at 90%.
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/22478/

The Polish did not leave Hamtramck because of the riots. In fact, in 2000, the largest single ethnic group in Hamtramck was still the Poles, though far from a majority.

Poles are only kicked out of the US nowadays. It is painfully hard to immigrate from Poland. Take into account that Poland is now in the EU, and there are no more Poles coming to live in Hamtramck, or many other places in the US for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    I'd amend that to include Warren mayor.
    Warren Mayor Jim Fouts will do or say anything to get in the newspapers; he's a media wh*re. He's also about to bankrupt Warren. He came into office right as the economic stuff hit the fan and he's only increased spending.

Hopefully Warren will vote him out before it turns into another government failure.

But back on topic, I do see why some might have some outrage because state tax dollars were used to entice Rock to move from one part of Michigan to another.

I got dibs on the big neon kielbasa.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So y'all can follow...'nerd read my comments on Facebook. Here they are...

Funny, I drove by there yesterday...thinking of the great nights at the 1923 Cafe, when we did an Open Mic there...with the Kowalski sign always in the background, at least from my perspective off the soundboard.

Curious why they think any move would do them true and lasting good?! It appears to be a game of giving away tax incentives in favor of the employees paying it back through their income taxation. [[I didn't know Hamtramck had income tax similar to Detroit's...1/2% for residents, 1% for non-residents)

I'm not sure anyone wins in any way regardless where this factory goes. But a fine institution seems to be forgetting the momentum from 80 years of history, they may never recover the loss of the pride of continuing in this space in this town.

If they go north of 8 mile, I'll have no solid and compelling reason to consider them above any other encased meat product. They will no longer be special.
    Dearborn Brand, still in Dearborn!

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Dearborn Brand, still in Dearborn!

Great stuff here. Better than Kowalski's lately anyway. Something about their kielbasa is changed. But their stadium sausages and skinned hot dogs are still good, IMHO.

Their garlic bologna, head cheese and ring bologna are great. Their kielbasa I don't care for. However I feel feel it would be a loss for the city and the older areas. If you read the Free Press article why not Detroit. They use to be on Chene. Plenty of land in that area and I believe the city would be more than willing to keep 125 emplyees in wayne county.

The more I think about it, the more angry I get over the DIRECT shifting of the tax burden from corporations to the workers, in cities where there is a personal income tax. It happens in others, too, through state and federal income taxes INdirectly coming back to the municipalities who use this idiocy as a 'draw' for businesses.

It should be made illegal to adjust tax rates for ANY corporation or individual as ANY form of incentive.

It merely opens up this form of abuse and worse. This form is anti-human and pro-corporation.

Don't get me started with any stupid commentary of 'what is good for corporations is good for workers and others and the economy', because that cannot be true. They only see and value individuals in a limited number of ways. Cheap Labor, Indiscriminate and Ignorant Consumer, or Stockholder.

Guess which one rules over the others, from the IRS assumptions downwards?!

Hi DetroitPole, I was just going on what I was told by the poles who had moved to Sterling Heights. A major part of their institutions and churches and festivals had moved out that way. My information was all just word of mouth.

DetroitPole wrote:
    >>That is simply not true. In 1970, Hamtramck reached its peak of Polish residents at 90%.
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/22478/

Yes, but 1970 is not long after 1967. The riots did not occur in the summer and all the poles had left by the fall. I think they were still moving in 1970.

DetroitPole wrote:
    >>The Polish did not leave Hamtramck because of the riots. In fact, in 2000, the largest single ethnic group in Hamtramck was still the Poles, though far from a majority.

That does not disprove my point that the ones who remain, couldn't afford to leave. And that is a generalization. I"m sure some stayed because they were married to the area in some way, but in the main, the 1967 riots started an exodus to Sterling Heights of all who could leave..

But, like I said, there is no science to my method, it is just observation and talking to people.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-08-11 at 01:20 PM.

Why isn't Audrey Kowalski still President of the company?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Gannon, you got it backwards 1% for residents, 1/2 % for non-residents working there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I seriously hope this does not happen.

I know Hamtramck is in dire straights financially, but Madison Heights, really? Could there be a shittier place ever, anywhere?

Did I detect the tiniest bit of affection for Madison Heights in the way you punched that keyboard DetroitPole?

Thanks, Jackie.

Punish 'em for living close to work.

They are STILL paying for their employer's choice to stay in town.

That is taxation policy abused by one with more weight to toss about...been that way since time-out-of-mind.

But it needs to change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast