Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What are the possibilities for One Detroit Center?

Just read today that Merrill Lynch will be moving from One Detroit Center [[formerly Comerica Tower) in downtown to the Bank of America Complex in Troy. I'm thinking that with Merrill's departure, One Detroit Center will be mostly empty seeing as Comerica Bank has since moved most of its operations to Dallas.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nt-troy-office

One Detroit Center is prime, Class A office space. Is there any firm on the horizon that might be interested in this building? Seems like Gilbert is looking for something cheaper for Quicken... When will downtown Detroit recapture the major financial, advertising, and law firms from Troy and Southfield? I was so sure that that fad was over, but it seems there are a few more chapters.

Yeah it would be great to get this buildings occupancy back up. J. Walter Thompson and Comerica Bank leaving this tower had to significantly drop occupancy, those two firms leased a lot of space. I'd be interested to know the current occupancy of all the iconic downtown office buildings. I think light rail and the current relentless revitalization of the city core will slowly lure more companies back.

NorthEndere Guest

It's more than half empty, now [[or slightly under half full). Given that it's Class A space with adjacent, covered parking numbering in the thousands, I don't ever worry about it, much. Now, if Dickinson Wright or Clark Hill leaves, I might start to get worried.

Great - the lunch lines on Fridays should be much more manageable.
    Friday, IIRC, is Mac-N-Cheese day.

Places such as Troy gives a more safe enviroment for those who work lives and play in the city. I am pro Detroit but what amenities that Troy offers that Detroit doesn't? What taxes break did Merrill Lynch was offered by Troy that Detroit wasn't willing to give. It is safer in Troy to walk around during lunch break than it is walking downtown detroit during break. The police that had started patrolling Woodward's business dstrict and merchant row were pulled off later last year.Bing and Company should do more to keep the smaller businesses in downtown detroit.

The U.S patent office could find more than enough space in the tower

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Places such as Troy gives a more safe enviroment for those who work lives and play in the city. I am pro Detroit but what amenities that Troy offers that Detroit doesn't? What taxes break did Merrill Lynch was offered by Troy that Detroit wasn't willing to give. It is safer in Troy to walk around during lunch break than it is walking downtown detroit during break. The police that had started patrolling Woodward's business dstrict and merchant row were pulled off later last year.Bing and Company should do more to keep the smaller businesses in downtown detroit.
    I think you're reading WAY too much into this. This is normal fluxtuation, it looks like to me, not a trend. The trend is going the other way, if anything. Heck, Blue Cross Blue Shield just announced its schedule for moving the rest of its Southfield offices downtown starting in May.

It is safer in Troy to walk around during lunch break than it is walking downtown detroit during break.
    What a thoughtless comment.

You expect me to believe that at noon in downtown Detroit, it is less safe to walk than noon in Troy?

If I had to speculate, I'd say that you have a better chance of getting hit by a car barreling down Big Beaver at 50mph trying to walk around Troy than anything happening to you downtown during lunch.

And where the hell would you WALK to in Troy?

[[I think they just recently installed sidewalks )

Bank of America bought Merrill Lynch. Now please acknowledge the stupidity of your response.

I suppose this officially ends whatever leftover speculation there was about BoA moving downtown.

bartock Guest

1. From the article Merryl Lynch is moving out of 25,000 square feet of space in a 1 million sq. foot building. I realize margins are thin, but 2.5% would not make or break.

2. Great idea about the patent office moving to the Tower. It would seem to be a good fit.

3. With all respect to the knocks on Troy, the B of A complex is right next to [[a side street crossing from) Somerset Mall. That is commerce city-in-a-city stuff that many here despise, but others elsewhere may love...especially in winter.

4. Nobody said anything about Bloomfield Hills losing Dickenson Wright? I am sure they generated more income than what's coming in. [[Smiley face icon).

Shouldn't Bing me making a stink about OC 'poaching' business from Detroit? Is this line of thought and bitching only reserved for Patterson, Fouts and the mayor of Livonia?

You're more likely to get run over by a car trying to walk across the street in stupid Troy than getting mugged or killed at lunchtime in the CBD of Detroit.....what a stupid, stupid comment.

IRS is moving into One Detroit Center... drove by at night a few weeks ago and could see what appeared to be scaffolding on the lower floors... no ceilings, walls, nothing, but it looked like work was going on.

I see you getting blasted for this comment but especially with regards to One Detroit Center I think you're way off base. For starters if one is worried about having their car stolen, One Detroit Center has their own secured garage. I've had to do business there and have had to park in there; it feels more than secure.

And I really don't recall much foot traffic on the streets of Troy. Inside Somerset Mall maybe, but where is it in Troy that is that pedestrian friendly? I've literally walked from One Detroit Center and have had a multitude of places downtown to walk to in order to grab lunch or dinner. if it's a perception of safety we're talking about here- there are plenty more people walking on the streets in Detroit than there are on the sidewalks of Troy.

I bank at Merrill Lynch thier offices are tiny. Over the last year the company is becomming much more integrated into its parent bank. I can now go to First of America ATMs to deposit the few checks that don't come to me electronically anymore. I speak to my broker over the phone. Bricks and mortar financial institutions are becomming dinosaurs.

This is not the first ML office to close, nor do I suspect it to be the last.

If I want personal service for transactions I go to my Credit Union. However even there they have sharply cut-back hours.

Chuck La Chez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Is there any firm on the horizon that might be interested in this building?
    Yeah, Oakland Co.

Proslack Guest

I have to agree with you on this on smogboy. I fell much less safe "walking" in Troy than in DTD. I also wanna add that as a resident Detroiter, I had my car broken into while at Somerset, not in DTD. Cars traveling down 8 lane roads @ 50mph in the city of asphalt with it's five side walks does not make for a safe lunch walk environment.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I see you getting blasted for this comment but especially with regards to One Detroit Center I think you're way off base. For starters if one is worried about having their car stolen, One Detroit Center has their own secured garage. I've had to do business there and have had to park in there; it feels more than secure.

And I really don't recall much foot traffic on the streets of Troy. Inside Somerset Mall maybe, but where is it in Troy that is that pedestrian friendly? I've literally walked from One Detroit Center and have had a multitude of places downtown to walk to in order to grab lunch or dinner. if it's a perception of safety we're talking about here- there are plenty more people walking on the streets in Detroit than there are on the sidewalks of Troy.