Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Haunted House Stories

Share your ghost stories; these threads are fun. Here's mine, I believe the ghost is the former home owner who died there in 2001, he's not a malevolent ghost, just a devious one. His name is Arrell B. A few nights ago while watching TV alone I heard the hallway floor creak like someone was standing there, I looked back and of course saw nothing. When I got up later and went to the hall way the thermostat there was cranked up all the way to 85 degrees. Last summer he knocked a wine bottle from the top of the fridge which chipped the dog's nice porcelain food dish; I was pissed!

I lived in a haunted home near Herman Gardens. Built just b4 the depression, the house sat vacant the early years of its life. A couple bought it and proceeded to have 10 children. Several kids died, the wife was abused, dad was a drunk obsessed over the house and its upkeep. He put his name on everything, even on lightbulbs.

The home had several spirits. The Mom [[Mary) once in awhile but mostly dad [[james) and at least two of the kids. James loved to wake you from your sleep or unscrew all the lightbulbs in the house while i was at work. The kids used to play at night and break things. MAny many stories over the 5 years I lived there. I learned to talk to them, specifically James as he was the one who could get mad, especially if you changed something about his house. For the most part I enjoyed my friends there..... one incident jamed punched me in the face for ripping out the red carpet in the dining room. Worst nosebleed ever........ I miss them

"one incident jamed punched me in the face"

Wow! Arrell, or Mary don't seem to be agressive, they don't even spook my dog like the pets of the cable ghost programs are spooked. The neighbors tell me that Arrell committed suicide after being told that hospitalized Mary would never wake from her coma. She in fact did after he died, and she herself passed away a week later.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; January-07-11 at 09:05 AM.

Im glad your seem to be kind and Id like to hear more.

Mine were no real threat and not afraid to let it be known they were there. They started the very first night. I miss them. James just wanted me to know If i was going to change stuff i had to ask first. I know he had a temper and drank in the basement. He ran that house pretty tight. Im sure all the FUN happened when he was gone.Again, he was compulsive about the house. I found his names on over 100 fixtures and objects in the house. All the public rooms had the original paint detail on the ornate plaster, including a "Ship Relief" in plaster. He Broke a cross and stacked it once as my "welcome to the neighborhood" gesture and to let me know he was there. The punch was the night I tore out the carpet, done without my consent, but with my hand. Mostly he would just wake you at night by calling your name from the doorway, then wander off after you sat up. He was a shadow that would then turn and leave.

The only encounter I had with the wife was in the garage. I think he sent her there when he was mad. There were notes all over the walls out there and i heard her screaming into my ear.

The kids played ball at night and laughed and ran thru the house. They had a toy piano they liked to play but would stop when asked or told. I could tell they were locked in closets as every one had a deadbolt and a full ring of kickmarks around the inside. My sister lived there for several months and got used to hearing the kids at night. One night they were REALLY loud and she asked them to stop, they didnt this time. They got louder. My sis got up and looked out the window to see someone about to break in her car. Due to the warning she was able to chase them off just by yelling. SO they helped her. Everyone that spent more than a day or two had some interaction with them.

Where I am guilty was that i didnt talk about anything to people because I had a lot of houseguests. It was much more fun to have people question me in the morning and in a few cases in a panic during the night. At several parties people left right away feeling creeped out, some warning me on their way out.

I tried to buy it in 2008, It was listed at $55,000 somehow while I was offering $40,000, someone got it for $15,000 and relisted it for $80,000. Now Its a section 8 rental. Id Love to know if the family is still there.... tee hee

Attachment 8256
    here is a pic

LodgeDodger Guest

Great fireplace.

Nice place!! My grand parents also used to live in that area on Rutherford, but their house was nothing like that.

My girlfriend was over last night doing laundry in the basement and told me she heard a man humming down there. The activity really seems to be picking up in my place.

talk to them....... DONT do tarot cards.

Have fun.

When we first moved onto Farnsworth into a fixer upper I would come home and hear distinct footsteps upstairs on the thin wood floor. I assumed it was my ex-gf walking around but several times no one was actually home. We burned a lot of sage and after that never heard from him/her again. I was sorry I burned the sage.
    Im in a home now that has had a ghost that other tenants have seen, Ive been seeing things out of the corner of my eyes and hearing odd sounds in the night. Im not going to be burning any sage, I like her [[ghost is a young girl here).

Similar threads pop up like this over the years, I always enjoy them.

Unless there is danger or trauma to the living, I always suggest to kick back, talk to them ,make some new friends and enjoy them.

DetroitDad Guest

My blog post about Leland Hotel Ghost Hunting

As was told to us by the staff, and other residents, the building g is supposedly haunted by the ghosts of many a Detroiter. The Fourth floor, now closed off, was where Jimmy Hoffa once stayed. The fourth floor is supposedly haunted.

Like many Downtown Detroit high rises, there is no 13th floor on the Leland's elevators. The numbers jump from twelve to fourteen.

The roof for the Leland House is supposedly haunted by jumpers, from the Great Depression.

Other unfortunate occurrences have happened in this building.

But, hey, I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

I never got the no 13th floor thing..... to me unless they built one and left it vacant 14 is just the new 13.....

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    I never got the no 13th floor thing..... to me unless they built one and left it vacant 14 is just the new 13.....
    Or they called the 2nd or 3rd floor something like 'mezzanine' which made the actual 13th floor get called the 12th. That's how it was at the downtown NBD building; and I think at the First National Building, too. [[Or so it was in the 1970s and 80s, when I worked at different times in both buildings.)

My grandparents old home in Lathrup Village is still haunted 20 years after their deaths. My grandmother died a rather nasty death by drowning in the bathtub after having a heart attack, by the next day an apparition of her was appearing in the house. My grandfather was heartbroken literally and figuratively over her death and passed away a month later. After his death my uncle started seeing mists float through the house and would then take the form of my grandfather complete with the valour track suits he always wore. Doors all over the house would open and close on their own, in the bathroom where my grandmother died the shower curtains would go sliding back and forth along the rail. Their bed would suddenly have the two depressions on it as if people were laying on it but no one was there.
    Soon after that all happened we moved my grandmothers baby grand to my house and it would start clanging like someone was pounding on the keys even though no one was in the room. I would walk into the room where there old exercise bike was and suddenly the thing started to try and run and I was overwhelmed with the smell of my grandmothers perfume. This happened a few times but thankfully died down after a while.
    Now my cousins own my grandparents house and they say it is still just as haunted as ever. My grandmothers business cards still just randomly appear out of nowhere and my cousins cant figure out where they are coming from. They decided to redo the basement and make it more finished and sure enough the spirits in the house immediately went to try and rearrange things back the way things used to be. Back when my grandparents lived there they had a tv in their den but it did not have a remote so you had to manually change the chanels, so now when someone watchs tv in there the remote mysteriously moves so that you cant just sit in one place and watch tv.
    The ghosts of my grandparents are not angry or anything like that, they just like to let people know they are still around and keeping an eye on the place.

That must be nice to see the grandparents again.

My house is Haunted, Well so I think, But not as bad as it was when I had my teenage daughters here. I kinda liked it. I could leave the cap off the 2L bottle of pop and blame that on the Ghost. But after the girls "moved" out, I say that cause as any emptynester knows the kids take there time getting crap out. My Wife has seen a "Black Fog" floating around the house at times.
    I have not seen it at all. She's not a drinker, or druggy, But she said she seen it.Scary thing is that it will gravitate around me.It has not happend yet this year as I can tell, But It is not the greatest feeling to know that something like that floats over you.
    Over the summer I was working at a school that had just closed, Getting it cleaned out. I was taking down some maps and posters which were just high enough to make me get out the "little" ladder.I'd had used a student chair in the past, Cept I don't work for DPS and they were sent to other schools. But standing on the first rung of a 2 step ladder I was "OK". Till BAMM. I felt as if I had been pushed off that ladder and the ladder hit the floor and broke.Many strange things happened that last year the school was opened.I won't go on now,But Having never seen a Ghost I can say I have been visited by the Spirits from beyond..

Creepy Clyde is always looking for haunted house stories for his local radio show. Contact him at creepyclyde.com

I have a lost spirit story that happened from just before Xmas 1981 and late March 1982. I just transferred from MSU to UM-Flint. I was living at home with the parents and commuting. Shortly after Xmas around 11 each night I would be joined by a spirit. He came every night for around 3 months, I knew he was their but it wasnt a scary thing at all, iIn fact I kind of enjoyed it. I didnt have a clue why he came, who he was or anything at all. Around late March he stopped coming, he vanished as easily as he came. In Mid April I went back to MSU to visit my old dorm friends. Thats when I heard about a good friend who had disapeered around xmas. They found his body in Lake St. Clare where he apparently drowned, this was in mid March. I dont know much about this kind of thing, but I assume he needed to be found before he could depart.

Hmmmm, very interesting.

"Creepy Clyde is always looking for haunted house stories for his local radio show. Contact him at creepyclyde.com "

Love that name, makes him sound more like a dirty old man though. I'll have to check his show out.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Creepy Clyde is always looking for haunted house stories for his local radio show. Contact him at creepyclyde.com
    Creepy used to play at a short-lived Romanian Restaurant in Dearborn where I ate the best garlic chicken dish I ever had-all while he's serenading us with the old Farmer Jack's jingle. Does this kind of behavior serve to confuse those spirits anachronistically trapped in a fourth dimensional state?

We have a ghost in our house. She is a sweet little girl who wouldn't harm a fly. She is a young black child in a peach colored frock. She sometimes leaves messages which we cannot decipher.

We also get a penny a day from heaven from a dearly loved friend. Was at the store today and happened to think, I didn't find a penny today, looked down and there it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    We burned a lot of sage and after that never heard from him/her again. I was sorry I burned the sage.
    Im not going to be burning any sage, I like her [[ghost is a young girl here).
    Yes, indeed. Sage is good for the memory. So when you burned it, the ghosts got a direct freebase of it into their ectoplasmic aveoloma-bub, and remembered where they were supposed to be instead of loitering around the fourth dimension, groaning in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    talk to them....... DONT do tarot cards.

Have fun.
    Yeah. Seriously. Leave the cardtricks to guys like ENO and Karl Zener.

...I have enough problems with anxiety.. I'm glad I don't have to deal with ghosts..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast