Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Renting: Favorite Buildings/Areas?

I've been in Ypsi for a couple of years, and may be moving back D-ward. Looking at apartments/lofts on Craigslist, and want to know which buildings or areas might have the best walking-communities for bars or restaurants, if any.

Thanks!

DetroitDad Guest

Check out Moving: Where Should I Live, in the DetroitYES Hall of Fame.

Amy P!

I'm still a big fan of the FD Lofts in Eastern Market. Lots going on there. They aren't inexpensive, but you get a TON for what you pay...and great management. Amazing neighbors. Community.

Plus, Eastern Market is very safe, there isn't a crackhead crazy enough to do anything there, the street sweepers act as security. We had exactly ONE oddball who liked to break Sala Thai's windows once per week, and ONLY stole the cheapest liquor on their shelves. They ended up catching him, indeed the two occurances I stumbled upon...the officers knew pretty well who it was, and said it was only a matter of time before they nabbed him. They did...and gave me their personal cell phone numbers to help them do it.

The building next door that houses Sala Thai is one of the Rocky lofts, and may have a unit available, too.

There are other lofts in the south part of EM...and I've known people who've lived there you can talk with to learn specifics.

It is pretty central to EVERYTHING, and is a wild trip on weekends...just outside downtown to avoid the bulk of stadium traffic.

Other than that...perhaps Lafayette Park. Townhouses...I just love 'em. I'm not a fan of high-rise living, but you might check the towers out, too.

Cheers, great to see you around again. How's the writing?!

Thank you both!

Gannon, exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I love living downtown Ypsi for many of the same reasons you've listed for loving Eastern Market. I wonder what the best way is to find out available lofts in Eastern Market -- Craigslist has been my only avenue of investigation so far.

The writing is... well, still simmering in its primordial stew of maturation, but leaks out here and there. The "big one" feels closer this year...

may want to try cadillac square apartment - not luxury living, but clean, safe and reasonably priced and a block from ren cen and walking distance to most everything....

I live in the Kales Building [[Albert Kahn)...very safe, garaged parking, plenty of amenities...best location, period. Oh..dogs allowed too.

www.kales76.com

But, you'll probably have to get on a waiting list as the building is always booked solid.

More thanks. Planner, I think I saw a place or two listed on Craigslist in the Kales Building -- off to investigate.

I used to live in the Cadillac Square Apartments. I'll second the above comments on that place.

I would check out the WSU-Midtown area, perhaps the most stable neighborhood in Detroit over the past few decades. It's even gotten better in recent years, and there are promising developments in the works, as you can read about regularly on this forum.

Hi Amy!

Downtown and midtown are always good places to start looking, and the Eastern Mkt area sounds interesting too and probably worth checking out.

I'm not sure if you have a budget in mind so that could also be a big consideration. Downtown and midtown seem to keep rising in price generally. Of course there are some good deals to be found but you have to act fast. For instance I've heard a lot about Cadillac square being a good place but its becoming very popular and it might take some luck to find a vacancy.

A few favorite areas worth checking out:

Hubbard farms area/SW: very cool area and also close to the bagley mexicantown area and very close to corktown/downtown. I cant think of many major complexes but craigslist should help you find some.

Lafayette park and east riverfront: Not a ton of nightlife but there are some cool buildings facing the river and a quick hop to downtown.

New center has some cool stuff going on and its so close to everything going on in midtown too [[you can likely find a lot more for the money here)

I hope your search goes well! I myself just spent several years in ypsi right around downtown and enjoyed that nightlife in college [[IE making terrible judgement calls at tap room and nearly passing out at abes afterwards...i'm almost getting choked up thinking about it lol) I really liked living there but am looking at detroit now too.

good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I live in the Kales Building [[Albert Kahn)...very safe, garaged parking, plenty of amenities...best location, period. Oh..dogs allowed too.

www.kales76.com

But, you'll probably have to get on a waiting list as the building is always booked solid.
    Hey Planner...do you know if the people at Kales have certain breed restrictions or size limits for the dogs? I have a lovely beautiful rottweiler, and she will only lick people to death.