Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Crime in Southwest Detroit

I'm thinking about moving to southwest Detroit, and I would like to know what people's experiences have been regarding crime: home break-ins, assault, car theft, other kinds of crime etc.

How bad is southwest compared to other areas?

Please share, and if you include a story of crime from where you live please provide the basic neighborhood, because this will be helpful. Can anyone identify some crime hotspots in southwest, or relatively safe zones? Thanks in advance!

Try this website and select Detroit in the pulldown menu.

http://www.crimemapping.com/

Thanks. I'm aware of that map, but I'm looking for greater insight.

When I lived in SW Detroit, I had the tailgate stolen from my pickup truck, and my brother who currently lives there had his car window smashed and his sunglasses stolen. Other than some property crime, I would say it is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, and if I moved back to the Detroit area it would be one of my top picks.

Crime in SW Detroit has been down in the past 15 years. Thanks to community policing and the G.R.A.C.E. Program and the Jeremiah Project from various SW Detroit Catholic Churches.

A co-worker lives near Livernois and Michigan. She says everyone on her block has been broken into, some more than once. So far, she has not had a problem but she has a perfectly enormous dog. She also does not exhibit any affluence, while she says the others who have had problems have signs of affluence. New cars, boxes out on trash day, things like that.

Gazhekwe, I'm saddened to hear that. I like that area. I wish the cops could get the crime a little more in control over there. I wonder if Michigan and Livernois area is worse than the residential area south of vernor in mexicantown crimewise. [[?)

DetroitPole Guest

I have a friend who grew up and still lives just south of Vernor and west of Junction. She gets frustrated with the petty crime but describes it as a viable neighborhood. Nothing violent to speak of.

i lived on Casper off mcgraw up until a few years ago - great neighborhood - minor things like garage break ins, etc. Neighbors used to keep an eye out for each other. I would suggest St. Lawrence, Lonyo, Lumly, Elmer between Mcgraw and Kirkwood as possible places to look.

Quote Originally Posted by beanietek View Post
    i lived on Casper off mcgraw up until a few years ago - great neighborhood - minor things like garage break ins, etc. Neighbors used to keep an eye out for each other. I would suggest St. Lawrence, Lonyo, Lumly, Elmer between Mcgraw and Kirkwood as possible places to look.

I also agree with this suggestion. I had a good friend in the Addison/Lonyo area and the family had lived there since they arrived in the US from Romania in the 80s. I always felt safe as a 18-22 yr old woman, walking to a store or hanging around with them in the neighborhood. They always locked their cars and exhibited no signs of affluence but they did not have major problems. Interesting note tho...lots of stolen cars end up dumped along the west end of Dayton and Smart St. I always assumed they were stolen from Dearborn, stripped and dumped