Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Wayne/Westland Firefighter's Wallet Stolen While Responding To Explosion

What a horrible story.

Westland — Police have released security video of two men they say were using the debit card of a Dearborn firefighter whose wallet was stolen from his car in Wayne while he was responding to last week's furniture store explosion.

The firefighter's car was broken into and the wallet taken following the blast that leveled the Wm. C. Franks Furniture store about 9 a.m. Dec. 29. The debit card was used at two locations and two men were seen withdrawing more than $1,000, police said.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110104/...#ixzz1A8EV9XoP

These theives are the lowest of the low...but my question is, how were they able to withdraw money on his debit card? Did he have the pin number written on the card or something?

When my bank changed its policy and only allowed $100 per day to be withdrawn in cash, I was really upset. But now I'm thankful knowing that if it gets stolen they can't get much!

It just makes me sick to think of how bad things are now that theives would target a firefighter trying to save someone's life. If they catch them, I think the police should just lock in up in the Wayne/Westland firehouse for a while. Save the taxpayers a little money.

Ok...my rant is over :-)

I'm one to fly off the handle about these things myself, but to play Devil's Advocate here: Who's to say they knew it was a firefighter's car?

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    I'm one to fly off the handle about these things myself, but to play Devil's Advocate here: Who's to say they knew it was a firefighter's car?
    I'm with you Fryar. For sure it sucks that it happened, but unless he was driving a city FD vehicle with badges on it, I doubt they knew who they were stealing from.

And even if they did know he was a FF, it wouldn't surprise me that they stole. Just another small-time crime.

Default Firefighter

Hey,
    These guys prey on fire stations when crews are out on runs.
    Ask any DFD firefighter who had their fire house looted while they were out on runs. Firefighters autos are usually parked at the firehouse not out on the street.
    These guys knew, stop minimizing these dirtbags....Cities will not provide security for firehouses.

muskie1 Guest

According to the news he was a member of the tri-county search and rescue team and his car was clearly marked as such to gain him access to the scene. I do not know how accurate this is.

...but to play Devil's Advocate here: Who's to say they knew it was a firefighter's car?
    Since when do people who steal have morals and make decisions on who they're going to steal from? Would it have been better if they stole a purse out of the car of a woman who ran into a dry cleaner to pick up her clothes?

Wouldn't it make sense for first responders of all kinds to have a plan/procedure in place to deter this type of opportunistic crime?

When a police officer arrives at a residence, do they lock their vehicle? Do they leave the vehicle running? Is a wallet locked in a glove box?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Since when do people who steal have morals and make decisions on who they're going to steal from?
    Jean Valjean. Although I was just playing Devil's Advocate, I think you're overstating that case. Not that I entirely disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    According to the news he was a member of the tri-county search and rescue team and his car was clearly marked as such to gain him access to the scene. I do not know how accurate this is.
    See, I thought it said he was a Dearborn firefighter helping out in Wayne, so I jumped to the conclusion he drove to the scene in his personal Taurus or whatever and parked on the street. That does change things. I hereby resign as this devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by jba View Post
    Hey,
    These guys prey on fire stations when crews are out on runs.
    Ask any DFD firefighter who had their fire house looted while they were out on runs. Firefighters autos are usually parked at the firehouse not out on the street.
    These guys knew, stop minimizing these dirtbags....Cities will not provide security for firehouses.
    Certainly, that's not Jean Valjean. Whatever happened to honor among thieves?
    I would favor harsher penalties for that kind of thing [[living, as I do, in a vacuum where people actually go to jail)

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Since when do people who steal have morals and make decisions on who they're going to steal from? Would it have been better if they stole a purse out of the car of a woman who ran into a dry cleaner to pick up her clothes?
    Yes. I say skip the firefighter and proceed directly to the woman who ran into a dry cleaner. The [[admittedly already low) chance that the stolen debit card will contribute to something truly valuable, like the saving of a life, through some unlikely circumstance, is significantly lower with her. I understand the point you're making, theft is theft, but the answer is yes, of course, with emergency personnel. It is different if they steal my GPS from my car than if they steal the GPS from an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Wouldn't it make sense for first responders of all kinds to have a plan/procedure in place to deter this type of opportunistic crime?

When a police officer arrives at a residence, do they lock their vehicle? Do they leave the vehicle running? Is a wallet locked in a glove box?
    Can't do it, I should think. We don't want these people distracted by such petty concerns. Scratch it up as the cost of doing business, borne by all of us taxpayers.
    Last edited by fryar; January-05-11 at 12:50 PM.