Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City of Troy Distracted Driver Law

Is there any self respecting shyster out there who wants to challenge this stupid law?

Enough of them will get busted...it is merely a cash-grab.

All they have to do is wait outside the nearest McDonalds.

One grab for that french fry at the bottom of the bag...

DetroitDad Guest

Link please?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Link please?
    Link to the ammended law: http://troymi.gov/DistractedDrivingF...ifications.pdf

Don't be carrying and helium ballons to a party in Troy....that to believe it or not is in this law.

You can eat fries however......its up to the cops descretion if you are distracted......hmmm in otherwords if he needs to fill his quota then your getting one.
    Last edited by Searay215; January-06-11 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Link to the ammended law: http://troymi.gov/DistractedDrivingF...ifications.pdf

Don't be carrying and helium ballons to a party in Troy....that to believe it or not is in this law.

You can eat fries however......its up to the cops descretion if you are distracted......hmmm in otherwords if he needs to fill his quota then your getting one.
    I'll just avoid Troy altogether. In other words, nothing will change.

I have no problem whatsoever if a person is busted for texting while driving, since that clearly poses a danger. However, what exactly constitutes distracted driving and who determines it is where the slippery slope lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Wait a minute, as any police officer will tell you, there are no quotas. Naturally, we all know that police officers would never catch any flack if they wrote zero tickets month after month. The municipality doesn't rely on one penny from tickets for their operating budget. They'd gladly not write any tickets at all if we would all just be model citizens. They just write a ticket here and there to keep us all safe when they have some spare time when they're not busy arresting bank robbers and purse snatchers.

[/sarcasm]

Studies have shown that the biggest distraction for ALL drivers are their passengers...the younger, the worse. Absolute bottom is a mother with her infant child.

But it is NOT green to travel alone.

So, this law is anti-human, inhumane, AND against nature, simultaneously.

Good work, Troy lawmakers. Go fuck yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Hey Gannon, no cheers on this one?

Good ideal for Troy, that city will whatever to keep people safe just like [[Deutchland) Livonia. The Troy Police will make lots of money by exploiting drivers who don't put two hands on the wheel. This program might spread to every last Michigan city, township and village.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Neda, I miss you so.

Studies have shown that the biggest distraction for ALL drivers are their passengers...the younger, the worse. Absolute bottom is a mother with her infant child.

But it is NOT green to travel alone.

So, this law is anti-human, inhumane, AND against nature, simultaneously.

Oh well, it's time for all people to be responsible.

One job for a driver - drive. The driver's seat is not for eating, drinking, hair and make-up, calling and texting friends and family, and disciplining children and pets. Do all that at home, otherwise pull over and park.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I have no problem whatsoever if a person is busted for texting while driving, since that clearly poses a danger. However, what exactly constitutes distracted driving and who determines it is where the slippery slope lies.
    I agree totally, that's why can't believe this hasn't been challanged.

Enough of them will get busted...it is merely a cash-grab.

All they have to do is wait outside the nearest McDonalds.

One grab for that french fry at the bottom of the bag...
    Don't grab for food while you're driving. Plain and simple. Drive. Both hands on the wheel. I am sick and tired of people swerving across all lanes for their exit, driving 20mph under the speed limit, running in front of you, almost into you, etc... all because they are distracted or otherwise being dismissive of the fact that they are propelling a 2 ton missile.

This law wasnt put into place to make money. It was put into place because so many people are encountering ACCIDENTS caused by people not DRIVING.

If the cities want to make some good money they should each designate one turn signal cop. A cop who just drives around and tickets anyone who does not use their turn signal. Turn signal use seems to be at an all time low. The best are the ones who stop in the middle of the road to make a left turn, no signal. People can type a manifesto on a phone while driving but can't move one lever up or down to signal a turn.

Cannot remember where I saw this but apparently one of the early recipients of a ticket was a woman using her cell phone[[my recollection) and unfortunately veered into the next lane......in front of a Troy police car.

I've read the document.

It explicitly states you are permitted to eat while driving, but will be pulled over and possibly ticketed if you do not maintain control of your vehicle.

Prohibited:
    - Text While driving
    - Talk on the cell phone while driving
    - Put makeup on while driving
    - Allow pets to sit on your lap while driving
    - Read While driving
    - Use the computer while driving.

These activities stated in the law sound dangerous to me. I also think you shouldn't eat, as well. Who here agrees with me that the above list of activities is unsafe, and these actions should be regulated?

Agreed most of these things should not be permitted while driving.
    I'm not sure why everyone has the big thing out against the phone [[talking) though. Wearing a bluetooth is definately less intrusive, but even without it, it is 100x easier to talk on the phone than to eat a Whopper without spilling special sauce on your work shirt!