Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Sugar Bowl

Default Sugar Bowl

My kid is part of Vicksburg High School marching band - Vicksburg, Michigan - and they are presently in New Orleans to participate in the Sugar Bowl halftime show. There will be 800+ kids from maybe a dozen schools from around the nation on the field playing CCR music, or dancing and flagging to it. Vicksburg is the only Michigan-based high school band and I am screaming-loud proud of these kids! They worked so hard to get there. Also, there was a marching band competition earlier this week at Jefferson HS in New Orleans, and we took first place, WOOT!

If you [[bother to) watch the Sugar Bowl game, VHS band is seated on the field behind the Arkansas Razorbacks. Their uniform is red with a black-and-white piano key sash. I haven't yet spotted my kid when the cameras have panned over the band group, but he's told me he's got a front-row seat. He's the brown-haired, brown-eyed one with the alto sax. LOL Nothing like an every-kid description.

So since I have no football loyalties, I'm saying GO RAZORBACKS, and congratulations to Vicksburg High School's Big Red Machine, and hurray for my aspie 15-yr-old who isn't at all nervous about performing at a bowl game in a stadium the size of the Superdome... when previously, his biggest crowd at a football game would've been the 5,000 or so at homecoming this past fall. He's much more intrigued by the uber-cool cameras set up around him.

Had to share.

"and hurray for my aspie 15-yr-old who isn't at all nervous about performing at a bowl game in a stadium the size of the Superdome"

Good going, kid! Boy, that brings back memories of nearly sixty years ago when I was in the Mackenzie HS band. We did the Hudson's thanksgiving day parade every year, usually freezing and looking forward to the hot chocolate that awaited us on the bus for the ride home. Never did a big game like your kid, CornBot, but just the home football games at Hammerberg Field, Wyoming and W. Chicago, was thrill enough to be remembered for a lifetime.

More important, my band exposure gave me a magnificent love for music, although this rock stuff from this Elvis fellow on down never caught my fancy.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-04-11 at 09:11 PM.

The Sugar Bowl was the biggest deal ever for our band, heck, our school. At the parades VHS marched in this year - Paw Paw Wine & Harvest parade and Kalamazoo Christmas parade - they got enthusiastic applause. They glad-hand the crowd and do a rousing version of Lil Liza Jane that includes a great dance routine. I'd love for them to march in the Thanksgiving parade in Detroit.

Band-geek parents across the nation whose kids put forth major effort and time [[and for us, throw in a 22-hour bus ride to New Orleans) can only hope their kids did well. But alas, there was absolutely zero media coverage of the bands during the game and halftime. No surprise there, but I did hope against hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Good going, kid! Boy, that brings back memories of nearly sixty years ago when I was in the Mackenzie HS band. We did the Hudson's thanksgiving day parade every year, usually freezing and looking forward to the hot chocolate that awaited us on the bus for the ride home. Never did a big game like your kid, CornBot, but just the home football games at Hammerberg Field, Wyoming and W. Chicago, was thrill enough to be remembered for a lifetime.
    Ray, my wife also marched with the Mackenzie band in the Thanksgiving Parade, c1963-65. She was flutist, at least until someone stole her silver flute.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    My kid is part of Vicksburg High School marching band - Vicksburg, Michigan - and they are presently in New Orleans to participate in the Sugar Bowl halftime show. There will be 800+ kids from maybe a dozen schools from around the nation on the field playing CCR music, or dancing and flagging to it. Vicksburg is the only Michigan-based high school band and I am screaming-loud proud of these kids! They worked so hard to get there. Also, there was a marching band competition earlier this week at Jefferson HS in New Orleans, and we took first place, WOOT!

If you [[bother to) watch the Sugar Bowl game, VHS band is seated on the field behind the Arkansas Razorbacks. Their uniform is red with a black-and-white piano key sash. I haven't yet spotted my kid when the cameras have panned over the band group, but he's told me he's got a front-row seat. He's the brown-haired, brown-eyed one with the alto sax. LOL Nothing like an every-kid description.

So since I have no football loyalties, I'm saying GO RAZORBACKS, and congratulations to Vicksburg High School's Big Red Machine, and hurray for my aspie 15-yr-old who isn't at all nervous about performing at a bowl game in a stadium the size of the Superdome... when previously, his biggest crowd at a football game would've been the 5,000 or so at homecoming this past fall. He's much more intrigued by the uber-cool cameras set up around him.

Had to share.
    Congratulations. I feel and share your pride. Go VHS! Marching bands are among the most fun parts of music, sports and football. I always look for and watch them. They are inspiring. Go VHS!