Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Holiday Inn Express Dtown Closed?

I see the signs for the Holiday Inn Express are all covered up. Are they changing brands or did they close up?

Its no longer listed on the HI website.

I was walking past a couple of weeks ago and I swear they were doing upgrades to the awning out front. Maybe they were taking down to H.Inn express sign. I don't know.

Just got off the phone with them, they say they are undergoing renovations, but she was being really weird on the phone with me. I drove by and there were guests a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Planner3357; January-04-11 at 11:16 AM.

Closed for renovations just before the auto show? Hmmm...

Still listed as a property on the Holiday Inn website but all room inventory has been zeroed out.

It is most likely closing, hopefully someone will pick up this property.

It looked open when I passed by last week.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    Still listed as a property on the Holiday Inn website but all room inventory has been zeroed out.

It is most likely closing, hopefully someone will pick up this property.
    Can you post a link?? I am curious to how you could find it but I could not. Thanks.

For what it's worth, some friends of mine stayed there on New Year's Eve. I didn't hear anyone mention that the hotel looked as if it would be closing shortly.

Isn't this one of Ferchill's developments? Whatever is going on, someone will pick that place up if the Holiday Inn goes under, and they'll just change the brand name. The building is totally new. On second thought, I wouldn't mind seeing it developed into apartments. A bunch of studios would be nice.

Disappointing! Sorry to hear it...

Well, we don't even know for certain what's going on...so I wouldn't start crying over it yet. I'll check it out after work today if no ones done so yet.

That hotel lost the franchise because couldn't meet the corporate standards. May have already secured a new brand or may just be a no-brand but perhaps open.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    That hotel lost the franchise because couldn't meet the corporate standards. May have already secured a new brand or may just be a no-brand but perhaps open.
    Weird. A "totally new" building, and they couldn't meet corporate standards?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Isn't this one of Ferchill's developments? Whatever is going on, someone will pick that place up if the Holiday Inn goes under, and they'll just change the brand name. The building is totally new. On second thought, I wouldn't mind seeing it developed into apartments. A bunch of studios would be nice.
    Yes, although I did like the thought of there being a more affordable hotel like that in downtown.

Just called them. They answer the phone "Downtown Detroit Inn and Suites."

Probably Intercontinental took away the hotel's franchise for some reason. I know, they have been raising the standards and forcing owners to renovate or leave.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Probably Intercontinental took away the hotel's franchise for some reason. I know, they have been raising the standards and forcing owners to renovate or leave.
    Sometimes they just raise franchise fees and individual owners say "piss off, we're going independent."

Unless you are a very attractive boutique hotel, going independant is the road to closure - and the owners know it. No brand, no regional or national marketing, no central reservation system - no future.

in this link, "jennieH" didnt like the joint , see the pics. I think the camera in her room musta done it, or the view, or something ...
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/meR7y...cbMgJ1CKguD9eg

This building is at least 45 years old. It was opened as a Howard Johnson hotel back in the 60s I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Isn't this one of Ferchill's developments?
    No, you are thinking of the Hilton Garden Inn of Detroit that Ferchill developed. However, he lost that hotel in foreclosure in October 2010 to Wells Fargo Bank and another lender. Currently the two lenders are suing Ferchill for $5.5 million in a deficiency judgement for the loan.

There was a report out in late 2010 that 50.9% of the Detroit metro hotels are 90 days in default on their mortgage loans. Not good.

The Holiday Inn is across Michigan Ave. from the Book Cadillac on Washington Blvd... this is not a new building, not even close, so a renovation wouldn't be far fetched, as Holiday Inn has renovated many of their properties over the past 10 years. The building was originally built in the 60s.

This thread reeks of ambiguity.... either you mention where the hotel is at, or people will get it confused with other hotels downtown... not everyone keeps up with the Hotel name of the month...

Sort of like if I were to be talking about the Currency Exchange Building.... half of you would go... Huh??

1020 Washington Blvd
    Detroit, MI 48226
    Neighborhood: Downtown Detroit

want a map? ..... lol

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    in this link, "jennieH" didnt like the joint , see the pics. I think the camera in her room musta done it, or the view, or something ...
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/meR7y...cbMgJ1CKguD9eg
    LOL, the camera in her room. Looks more like a motion detector to shut off the lights, if you ask me.

Stayed here in Sept. Rooms were fine but the common areas - hallways, pool area, breakfast room - were really showing some wear. Reminds me of the Omni in that respect. Holiday Inn does have high standards and this one appeared borderline to meet them. It could make it as a Best Western or Ramada maybe. [[Although when I think downtown Ramada I think Leland - yikes!).
    It's very tough to compete with the Greektown Hotel with its prime location and free parking if you're after the leisure market. There doesn't seem to be a big market for the low cost business traveller downtown i.e. the salesman watching his expenses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast