Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit police response

After reading the thread related to Ben Schmitt, I wanted to put this out there.

Questions:

Has anybody had a decent experience with calling the Detroit police? If so [[or not), describe.

Has anybody had a decent experience filing a report with the police? If so [[or not), describe.

Has anybody had anything solved or recovered to their satisfaction? If so [[or not), describe.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; January-04-11 at 10:26 AM.

Yes, Yes, No.

Yes and no.
    Yes and no.
    Yes and no.

But more yeses than noes.

I have never had occasion to call the police, so I can't answer the first.

Filing a report was OK, I guess. Desk sergeant had his hands full and kept me waiting a bit. It was for a stolen car. I wanted to know what cars were high-risk in my precinct. [[I had just lost a 1987 Dodge Spirit, and you know I wouldn't have bought that car had I known how easy it was to punch.) He declined to offer information on that at all. I thought that was kind of shitty, but other than that it was OK.

The car was recovered. It had been stripped and stranded at Sycamore and Harrison. My real complaint here is about Boulevard Trumbull, not the police, but I would say that perhaps B/T is not the best contractor for the DPD.

So,

N/A
    Yes [[sorta)
    Yes

Last September 15th, when I got hit by a car at Oakland and Clay, DPD showed up 12 minutes later. This was at 4PM. They were extremely professional.

Chuck La Chez Guest

About ten years ago, I began serving downtown customers. However, in the short time I was there, I was routinely ticketed without cause [[parking). Upon receipt of the third ticket, I stopped serving the area.

As I recall, they took me for a grand total of $100, which I passed on to customers, but the real cost was my peace of mind.

Only contact I had with the police in Eastern Market was stellar.

They saved my neighbor from freezing to death from his own stupidity, then promptly handed out their personal cell phone number so I wouldn't have to ever waste my time with 911.

Never had to call him, but it was VERY reassuring to have in my phone.

When they answered the call from my neighbor after Sala Thai was broken into, during their repeated pestering from the guy who liked cheap liquor...they were always prompt, courteous, and thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    After reading the thread related to Ben Schmitt, I wanted to put this out there.

Questions:

Has anybody had a decent experience with calling the Detroit police? If so [[or not), describe.

Has anybody had a decent experience filing a report with the police? If so [[or not), describe.

Has anybody had anything solved or recovered to their satisfaction? If so [[or not), describe.
    Having lived in and owned businesses in Detroit, my answer is NO with a qualification. I knew officers at various precincts, including the first, third and fourth and the Fox mini-station [[does it still exist?), that would respond quickly to any problem I had, IF they were on duty. It was usually a crap shoot to catch someone I knew on duty. I was grateful for whatever assistance they could lend BUT, it always brought up the question [[to me) of how does someone buried in a neighborhood with no connections get any response at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck La Chez View Post
    About ten years ago, I began serving downtown customers. However, in the short time I was there, I was routinely ticketed without cause [[parking). Upon receipt of the third ticket, I stopped serving the area.

As I recall, they took me for a grand total of $100, which I passed on to customers, but the real cost was my peace of mind.
    Parking enforcement is one of the biggest jokes in Detroit. If parking enforcement officers were put on street cop duty, there'd likely be little crime [[other than their own criminal acts). The criminals would be busted before they had a chance to do anything. Cops and parking enforcement went at it on a regular basis, with cops occasionally pulling their weapons on the 'meter maids'.

My daughter was at a project where they clean, repair, paint and restore inner city playgrounds when her car was stolen. When she called the police they told her to come in and file a report....to which she replied....which part of they stole my car did you miss. It took over 2 hours for a car to come so she could file a report. Car was found a day later, youths had stolen it to have a joy ride and destroy it.

Worst story I heard was my friend who had a guy trying to steal his car with him in it. He luckily had a box-cutter handy and managed to jab the thief and get the fuck out of the car. Had a friend drive him to the po-po station and tried filing a report. They yelled at him and accused him of being in the neighborhood to buy drugs. Disgusted, he gave up on the report and just had his friend drive him around the hood until he found his car. Started it up and drove off. Lost plenty of equipment that was in the car too.

Chuck La Chez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Parking enforcement is one of the biggest jokes in Detroit. If parking enforcement officers were put on street cop duty, there'd likely be little crime [[other than their own criminal acts). The criminals would be busted before they had a chance to do anything. Cops and parking enforcement went at it on a regular basis, with cops occasionally pulling their weapons on the 'meter maids'.
    I'm not going to get into details but the circumstances of the second and third include street patrols.

I'll add that most [[street) cops I knew in Detroit were trying their damndest to do a good job. They seemed, in many cases, to be victims of the bureaucracy.

Chuck La Chez Guest

I'll add that most [[street) cops I knew in Detroit were trying their damndest to do a good job. They seemed, in many cases, to be victims of the bureaucracy.
    If this is in response to me, my philosophy prevents me from empathizing with employees. If you work for an organization, you're supporting the organization's behavior. End of story, for me.

DetroitPole Guest

Never had to call them yet, thank God.

Flagged them down when a stranger was having a medical emergency one time, they stopped, helped out. Very thankful for that.

Interestingly, it appears many of the folks on this threat have had good experiences, with some exceptions.

I think most of them try pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck La Chez View Post
    If this is in response to me, my philosophy prevents me from empathizing with employees. If you work for an organization, you're supporting the organization's behavior. End of story, for me.
    I may understand your philosophy. It's just not that cut and dried for me.

my wife was in a non-injury car accident. Went to the police station to report it. The officer wasn't even listening to my wife and writing down incorrect information. When I corrected him, he told me that I was screwing up his paper work, reprimanded me and told me since i wasn't in the car to go sit in the waiting area.

Guy was a total ass to me and my wife.

Most of my interactions have been negative. Unprofessional, Uncaring and Unintelligent.

citylover Guest

Worst story I heard was my friend who had a guy trying to steal his car with him in it. He luckily had a box-cutter handy and managed to jab the thief and get the fuck out of the car. Had a friend drive him to the po-po station and tried filing a report. They yelled at him and accused him of being in the neighborhood to buy drugs. Disgusted, he gave up on the report and just had his friend drive him around the hood until he found his car. Started it up and drove off. Lost plenty of equipment that was in the car too.
    So was he there to buy drugs?

I can laugh about this now, but it wasn't so funny at the time. A couple of young men were in my business. They pulled the toilet and plumbing out of the bathroom. Literally. The toilet was out of the bathroom and water was gushing everywhere. They walked across the street, laughing, with the toilet guts. I wanted to shoot them and came pretty close as they were standing around taunting my staff and I. I called the police. The cops showed up much later. The guys were still hanging out on the street and drinking with the guts in their possession. The cops, a female and a male, stood there and berated me and my staff, because, as they said, 'we were taking them away from more important matters, like shootings and homicides'. ??? The officers also said there was nothing they could do because they were Canadians. They didn't even approach the idiots. ???? In hindsight, I think it would make a good scene in a film. Or a skit on SNL.

Had an old Chrysler Le Baron stolen a few years back. My buddy and I drove around looking for the car for about two hours with no success. I then went to the station to file a report, and to my surprise, the car had already been recovered about 30 minutes after the little thieves took it.

My only complaint was that a bunch of my Cd's and tool box were missing. The police nabbed the punks red handed [[they were a couple of 14 year olds), and the Cd's were by groups that I'm sure they never heard of [[Cure, Ministry, The Clash), which leads me to conclude the tow truck driver helped himself to my property. When I complained to the cashier at the impound lot, he claimed they'd been having problems with kids from the neighborhood climbing the fence and stealing from cars. Somehow, I doubt that story.

Chuck La Chez Guest

It's just not that cut and dried for me.
    Cutting and drying take a lot of reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    So was he there to buy drugs?
    Haha. He lived in Hamtramck, neighbor of mine. I'm often driving up there too, and I'm not looking for drugs either. So, um, no. Smartypants.

My experience with the Detroit police was after a home invasion/armed robbery that occured one night in my driveway when three armed teenagers with guns jumped me after I locked my car in my garage.

After they left my house with my wallet, TV, VCR, etc. I called 911 and right away the police were at my house taking a report.

I cannot complain about the Detroit police response following the incident. Instead I must say they were responsive and searched the area with flashlights looking for any presence of the criminals or any ditched personal items of mine that were stolen.

I can laugh about this now, but it wasn't so funny at the time. A couple of young men were in my business. They pulled the toilet and plumbing out of the bathroom. Literally. The toilet was out of the bathroom and water was gushing everywhere. They walked across the street, laughing, with the toilet guts. I wanted to shoot them and came pretty close as they were standing around taunting my staff and I. I called the police. The cops showed up much later. The guys were still hanging out on the street and drinking with the guts in their possession. The cops, a female and a male, stood there and berated me and my staff, because, as they said, 'we were taking them away from more important matters, like shootings and homicides'. ??? The officers also said there was nothing they could do because they were Canadians. They didn't even approach the idiots. ???? In hindsight, I think it would make a good scene in a film. Or a skit on SNL.
    That would drive me insane.

Questions:

I've had to call DPD 4 times in the past 2 years. The most recent was this past summer when someone was breaking into my neighbor's house. Other calls have involved a domestic dispute, a fight in the street with a firearm brandished, and a shooting.

The fastest of the domestic dispute, which had 4 officers on site within 8 mins. The other calls have had response times ranging from 25 - 35 mins.

This means that, with exception of the domestic dispute call, there really wasn't much for them to do by the time they got there. The crime had been committed and everyone had left the scene before DPD arrived.

I've had to go to the 6th precinct 3 times in the past 7 years to file a report. Each time, it involved a wait of at least 20 mins. before an officer was available to take my report.

With the exception of the domestic dispute, nothing happened other than a report being generated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast