Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default crossing fingers for Macys at Northland

So...I visit this store from time to time as it's the closest Macys to my house and it intrigues me a lot due to the fact that it's the oldest and largest original Hudson's besides the downtown store. I was just there this weekend and now not only is the fourth floor completely shut down but a small section of the basement is closed off with a.new wall built. Also another portion of the basement/furniture dept is completely empty with no inventory anywhere in site.

I bring this up now because Macy's typically announces its list of store closings around now and I am hoping that this store isn't on the list. I just am unsure how much longer this store could possibly be around. Everytime I am in there, the store is void of customers and is eerily quiet.

In contrast, the Eastland Macys which is a close sister of Northland in terms of age, size and customer demographics seems to be doing better. I was there yesterday and did not see any closed off areas [[except for the restaurant). The store seemed a little busier and the overall physical condition of the store seemed a little better maintained.

Eastland itself seems to be still be a succesful shopping center as there was very little vacancy and all of their anchors are in business. Northland has two empty anchors.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if it closed. It doesn't really fit with the mall and it's demographics. When I lived in the area, I only used them to pay my bill, but any real shopping I went to Somerset or Novi. Even just to pay the bill, it was HARD to find anyone to help.

In the basement, however, I was told that only the Macy's in Chicago [[don't remember which one) would have a clearance center. Without a clearance center there really is no reason to seek out Macy's Northland. I'd be sad to see it close, however. I rather liked the building.

Macy's is completely off my radar. The three stores on my side of town: Fairlane; Southland; Westland are stocked with cheap clothes and bargain basement looking stock. Not worth a visit.

I'd agree Macy's is is off my radar too. I shop at Dillards, which has a couple of stores in Toledo. Why Toledo? I can go there, find pants long enough and get out. If I stay in Detroit and its environs I am forced to visit everything from Saks to Forman Mills and usually come up disappointed after looking for an entire weekend.

In a couple years The Macy [[ Formally Mashall Fields, and Hudson's) Department Store Building that anchors Northland Mall will be closing on couple years. This is due to low customer participation and changing race demographic from mostly white to mostly black. After all, most of Southfield is 62% black. I will surelly miss The historic Northland Hudson's, Marshall Field's/ Macy's Department Store. It helped keep Northland Mall for dying. I don't want it to see it gone.

Wasn't Northland the Macy's regional office for the Detroit area? Does Macy's even still maintain a regional office in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Wasn't Northland the Macy's regional office for the Detroit area? Does Macy's even still maintain a regional office in Detroit?
    I think it used to be but I don't think it still is. I only remember because I used to work for Macy's years ago-- my manager had to go to meetings at Northland and consequently had her truck stolen.

Sidenote: Part of the problem with Macy's lately [[I shop there way less than previously) is that one of the directors sees them as competing with Kohl's. I think that mentality is a major reason for the decrease in quality/selection.

Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    I think it used to be but I don't think it still is. I only remember because I used to work for Macy's years ago-- my manager had to go to meetings at Northland and consequently had her truck stolen.

Sidenote: Part of the problem with Macy's lately [[I shop there way less than previously) is that one of the directors sees them as competing with Kohl's. I think that mentality is a major reason for the decrease in quality/selection.
    A year or two ago [[I think) Macy's began to tailor their business model to the specific regions where they operate. They did this because they took so much heat for the cookie cutter model they tried to operate after Federated converted all of the chains they acquired nationwide into Macy's. [[The shit hit the fan when they converted the Marshall Fields locations in Chicago to Macy's.)

Even within a region they stock stores on a micro-level according to the demographics of the shoppers at the specific locations [[e.g. Somerset doesn't carry the "urban wear" brands that Eastland and Northland sell).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I'd agree Macy's is is off my radar too. I shop at Dillards, which has a couple of stores in Toledo. Why Toledo? I can go there, find pants long enough and get out. If I stay in Detroit and its environs I am forced to visit everything from Saks to Forman Mills and usually come up disappointed after looking for an entire weekend.
    I do the same thing. I have heard bad things about the quality of the non-clothing store brands at Macy's lately. For clothing, Dillards is hard to beat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Macy's is completely off my radar. The three stores on my side of town: Fairlane; Southland; Westland are stocked with cheap clothes and bargain basement looking stock. Not worth a visit.
    Yes! I'll always miss Hudson's. Usually if I need a comparable department store, I go to Lord & Taylor -- first the one in Fairlane, and after it closed, the L&T in Twelve Oaks.

When Hudson's moved their offices out of downtown, a few years after the store closed, they moved to Northland. Now, I'm pretty sure they no longer have much regional staff to justify an office here.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    When Hudson's moved their offices out of downtown, a few years after the store closed, they moved to Northland. Now, I'm pretty sure they no longer have much regional staff to justify an office here.
    Yeah, within the past 5 years I know for sure that I saw Northland still listed as their regional office. But now I don't see one in Michigan at all.

The only Macy's I like is on State street in Chicago.

I don't know why but it is was initially branded in my mind that Macy's was over-priced with very little selection over all... now I hear it is more in line with Kohls, but they still do not seem to have much in size 14-18 Woman range and the shoes seem to all stop at 9. So it's been useless for me to go. The make up counter has become sparse as the years have gone buy. I go to the Macy's at Fairlane which seems to be in good shape.

The few times I've gone to the NL store there seems to be little sales staff. Their 'shrink' level has got to be incredible though cameras are hidden I am certain. I saw two guys walk right out with some items in bags thrown over their shoulders but the alarm went off, but no one stopped them, they just strode on casually. The store in general is ghost town for certain. I'd rather claw thru piles and rack for sales at Burlington, Marshall, TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack in Rochester.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-04-11 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Thoughts?
    Yes. Basically, the ruin in the top right corner of your screen. Compulsive sprawl, abandonment, all that.

Not being from the area originally, I can only speak for the last couple of years, during which time Northland did not seem to be a prized location but, well, the mall with Aldi down the street instead of a Whole Foods. I was pretty surprised to read how highly it had apparently been regarded at one time. Northland. Not Aldi. I've had people make a face when I mention the great deals. Aldi, it seems, does not stack up.

If Macy's really is analyzing store sales and stocking on that basis, they're not selling a lot of fur coats over there, and then what's the point of operating a Macy's there? It does seem like the sort of place that would have a Marshall's, not a Macy's.

That mall complex over in Dearborn, Fairlane something, seems nice. For the moment, at least. Until, in time, we get a webisode about its own abandonment and decay. By that time, it will be all about UoM Belleville, and the gleaming new mall out there, Piazza del Willow Run.

Those, alas, are my thoughts. Good night, and safe travels.

The only thing missing at Macy's Northland is the tumbleweed...:-[[

IMHO they'll end up closing it, and all of Northland will go down with it as well. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    IMHO they'll end up closing it, and all of Northland will go down with it as well. Sad.
    Did the Target close?

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Did the Target close?
    It was open when I was there last thursday.
    It looked like alot of open stores inside.
    But I didn't get to go into Macy's
    [[I was to busy with the mall's operations manger.
    Documenting The fallout shelters in the mall. )

Default Macy's Northland

Macy's reorganized into Regions and Districts. The Detroit and Michigan districts are part of the North Region, headquartered in Chicago. The Northland store still houses the offices for the Detroit and Michigan districts.

I believe they own the stores at Eastland and Northland, [[but not the malls, which were developed by Hudson's and sold off in later years) so if that is true there is no lease expense. That may be the reason why, at least, Northland is still open. Hudson's/Daytons/Fields owned many of the stores in their respective chains and when they merged under Target Corp. ownership was retained and passed on to May Co. and then the unfortunate take over by Macy's.

Possibly related...today's Boston Globe reports that Macy's is closing it's Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts store. Chestnut Hill is a very upscale area adjacent to Boston. So, maybe Macy's is shrinking!
    http://www.boston.com/business/artic...ut_hill_store/

Haven't shopped there since the name change. Sorry, it's an anti-corporate, Hudson's thing.

I love when people are "anti-corporate" and boycott businesses. Not only is this great for the local economy as it promotes corporations closing stores in our area but it also promotes more unemployment. Oh yeah and it helps to minimize the goods and services offered in an area which makes for worse selection and higher prices. Great!!!!

Macy's announced [[3) closings yesterday, one in Georgia, Texas, and the aforementioned store in Chesnut Hill, Mass. The Chesnut Hill store was something of a limited selection upscale store, not far from a large branch of Bloomingdale's. The downtown Boston Macy's is close by, and continues to prosper.

So far for 2011 Northland is safe, and for that matter none of the remaining "downtown"
    Macy's were on the hit list as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast