Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Photos of DSR street car lines...

I may have posted this some months ago that I was especially interested in a photo of DSR street cars in NE Detroit. Was there a Harper line that ended at Morang where today there is a post office? I recall vaguely as kid in the '50s that there was a so-called "comfort station," a public restroom at Harper and Morang. Was there a street car turn-around at that location?
    Is there a map that shows all the street car lines in Detroit?

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread....rang+streetcar

Try this discussion. No streetcar to Harper and Morang. The shelter was a bus shelter.

I believe Mr. Craig's web site, http://www.detroittransithistory.info, has such a map somewhere on the site. I have a copy of Mr. Schramm's book, which contains a very complete map, but it's a copyrighted work so I don't want to reproduce it here; however, I'd be happy to answer any question concerning the street car lines.

If you are ever out in southern St. Clair County on Short Cut Road, that follows the route of an old interurban line from Detroit to Port Huron. The main line went around the bay and through Algonac, so at some point a quicker route was built which went due west from Marine City and bypassed the Algonac peninsula. The company referred to the new line as the Short Cut, and when the interurbans went out, the name stuck to the road which was later added. Ironically, the Short Cut is no longer a through route at all; sections are missing. You can still see old interurban bridges over a couple of drains.

My father's last job as a bus driver in Detroit before he retired in 1975 was operating the street car that went up and downtown Washington Blvd. He passed away last year at the age of 92.

Nice photo. Twenty Five Cents. Is that one of those wooden scissors type folding gates behind him?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Nice photo. Twenty Five Cents. Is that one of those wooden scissors type folding gates behind him?
    Yes it sure is!!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    My father's last job as a bus driver in Detroit before he retired in 1975 was operating the street car that went up and downtown Washington Blvd. He passed away last year at the age of 92.

Now this is why the forum was founded! Shots like this make me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    i'm assuming that's your daddy qt...great picture. he sure looks like a happy guy there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    i'm assuming that's your daddy qt...great picture. he sure looks like a happy guy there.
    Yep that's my Daddy...He spent the last two or three years as a bus driver operating that trolley..yes indeed he was very happy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Now this is why the forum was founded! Shots like this make me very happy.
    And I'm very happy it made you happy...

DetroitDad Guest

Default Cross Posts