Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Did you collect coins as a kid?

What was the most valuable coin you found in circulation when you were a kid collecting coins? Did you ever visit a coin shop like Peninsula Coins on Grand River near Hubbell or Jerry's Coin Case on Plymouth between Greenfield & Southfield or John Abbott Coins on Warren near Greenfield? What was your favorite coin shop and why?

My Dad worked for the DSR [[now DDOT) when he came home after World War II. Every night when he came home he let me look at all the pennies so I could pick out all the old ones. I filled up several of those card board tri-fold penny holders. When my father passed last year when I was cleaning out his apartment I found a bunch of Kennedy half dollars, Eisenhower silver dollars, Susan B. Anthony quarters, a huge stack of two dollar bills, and a couple of 1929 $10.00 bills with a red seal on them. I still have my pennies and I also have all the new state quarters...right now everything is in my safe deposit box...eventually I'll try to find out how much everything is worth. Does anyone know a good place to take them so I can find out....Thanks
    Last edited by EastsideQT; January-03-11 at 08:51 PM.

Somewhere in Detroit 1942
    Attachment 8230

Eastside, those Eisenhower dollars are worth about $10 each alone. There is a neat website [[http://forums.collectors.com), the folks on there will help with any questions you have.
    I remember also filling those blue penny books. Wish I would have picked up a 1909 S VDB back then... Good Luck!

When I was a kid in the early 60's a old man gave me a 1906 quarter when I shoveled his snow which really thrilled me to say the least. I was putting together a type set years ago but got stalled due to the cost of Barber coins. To this day I check me change and once in a while find a nice little suprise.

My coolest coin find, while not worth much, was back when cigarettes cost 33 cents a pack and if you bought from a machine, there were 2 taped to the side of the pack. My mom had me get some from machine for her, and there was a 1907 Indian Head penny on it.

I still have the collection I started back in 5th grade...about 1959.. I never kept it up. I'd love to know what it's total collector value is.
    Does anyone know anyone who would be interested in a large plastic tote full of old stamp albums and loose stamps? Lots of First Day of Issue stamps, too. I was given this collection when a dear friend passed away. It was started by her grandfather, and some stamps are pre-1900. My friend was quite ill, and one of her caregivers arrived one day to find her pulling stamps out of the old albums and sticking them in plastic bags with hundreds if not thousands of other loose stamps. I'd like to sell this whole bunch...I am not interested in stamps at all. I now live in rural Minnesota and there's no shops around here that deal in stamps or coins.

I used to collect a lot as a kid, I used to like Hudson's Coin Dept. [[yes, they used to have a coin dept!) I then started going to ACE on Michigan Ave., they're still there, same ownership, GREAT FOLKS!!! but got out of coin business years ago. I've got a few coins scattered around here & there, gotta find 'em & see what I still have. The rarest that I have is a 1896 "O" Dime.

I was a bit of a nerd growing up so my coin collection, stamp collection and fossil collection took up a large corner of my bedroom. Now that I'm older it takes up a bit more space . These days my coin collecting is mostly limited to those I find while metal detecting, but since the price precious metals started climbing I've been picking up quite a few of the new U.S Silver Eagles as well.

I actually have an old penny scale simmilar to this one being sold on craigslist that I have in my office that people feed coins into every day...
    http://youngstown.craigslist.org/atq/2118907827.html

We got it in an auction maybe 25 years ago and never had the key for it. I remember about 15 years ago the coin mechanism broke and the scale was just stuck.

We thought it was broken, and decided to bust the lock on the back to try to fix it. Turns out if was over filled with coins!

I remember taking out about 3-4 buckets of coins, with some dating back to the 1940's

It took forever to go through all those old coins

3 months ago I bought a roll of silver quarters for $30... off of a 7-Eleven clerk who was boasting that he just got them in an unopened roll from the bank...

With silver prices so high... I sold them the next day to a Coin Dealer [[to my surprise) for $140.

I have my old tri-fold penny and nickel collections...but almost never went into a coin store, realizing early on that since they made profit it was the worst way to 'find' coins...and they'd always keep the best stuff for themselves!

I filled mine with coins found in circulation, and got my start on my favorite zinc-clad pennies from a grade-school friend whose grandparents [[the Fadools) ran a store near the McGraw/Lonyo area...and opened their old gumball machine to find a bunch.

I used to wear them in my penny loafers...since they'd always draw SOMEBODY out to chide me that is was silly to put 'dimes' in penny loafers. I guess I liked schooling people, and it instilled a life-long understanding of the scarcity of materials during wartime.

[[along with a lifetime of HATING war...go figure!)

Now that I think of it, I DID finally go to the coin shop over on Michigan Avenue near Schafer to buy those rare pennies that I never caught in circulation...LOL. I couldn't stand the gaps in that 1909-1970 book.

Cheers, great trip down memory lane.

Started collecting coins on my paper route. Back then it was 65 cents for the week. Two quarter a dime and a nickel left in the milk chute or give you a buck and keep the change.

Grand parents gave me some old coins. Still have the blue folders half filled probably end up with the grand kids on my demise. No interest in selling them now.

Yes I remember the Hudsons coin shop on the mezzanine level. What the hell is the mezzanine, my first big word, LOL.

I still have a jar of wheatback pennies accumulated since, like, age 8. And some old coins from the 1970s, including a couple Kennedy half-dollars.

I think my proudest moment was being a newsboy and spying something glittering in the tar, and managing to pull out a battered buffalo nickel. Good times.