Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Channel 7 to take on a new Detroit

By B.J. HAMMERSTEIN
    Free Press staff writer

"We're committed to making a difference to the community," Ed Fernandez told the Free Press when he became vice president and general manager of WXYZ-TV [[Channel 7) about seven months ago.

Now, metro Detroiters will get to see what he was talking about.

Fernandez told Names & Faces last week that his station is launching Detroit 2020, a decadelong initiative designed to dramatically change the course of metro Detroit.

"There are so many great entities in town that are trying to move the region forward," he said. "There are also very few organizations like WXYZ that have the capabilities to really bring people together to inspire, act and execute."

He said that through the station's reporting, various online platforms and community outreach, Detroit 2020 will "touch people each and every day" and "impact people to get involved."

Beginning Tuesday night, WXYZ viewers will see the first in a series of in-depth stories that are being done at a level people are used to seeing on newsmagazine shows like "60 Minutes."

"Historically, broadcast news only reports stories that are just the tip of the iceberg and we get criticized correctly for that," Fernandez said.

This week's special Detroit 2020 stories include:

• Tuesday: A feature called "A Tale of Two Cities" that explores changes that can move the region forward as well as the consequences of neglect.
    • Wednesday: A profile of a Detroit neighborhood that has been revitalized.
    • Thursday: A report on efforts that are paying off in one U.S. industrial city and the lessons that Detroit can learn from its success.
    • Friday: A segment on the challenges suburban communities are facing as they struggle with job loss and income reduction.

Fernandez said that Detroit is the largest market in which the station's owner, Scripps Howard, operates and that the company has a lot invested in this area and believes a program like this is in everyone's best interest.

For more: detroit2020.com.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

"We're committed to making a difference to the community," Ed Fernandez told the Free Press when he became vice president and general manager of WXYZ-TV [[Channel 7) about seven months ago.

Now, metro Detroiters will get to see what he was talking about.

Fernandez told Names & Faces last week that his station is launching Detroit 2020, a decadelong initiative designed to dramatically change the course of metro Detroit.
    Rah Rah stories are nice and all... I'm sure a "Slows is revitalizing Corktown" story is on tap, because that hasn't been done before... but hey, how about they start this Detrot2020 campaign by announcing they'll be moving the station from Southfield to Detroit? Oh wait, that would mean ACTUALLY doing something.....

This might be great. However, if the ratings start to slide then you'll see all the blood and guts all the time approach Fox has mastered so well. Action News means fires, disasters and mayhem.
    See what happens during sweeps month. I'll bet the hookers, drugs and murder stories wipe out the happy news.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...hey, how about they start this Detrot2020 campaign by announcing they'll be moving the station from Southfield to Detroit? Oh wait, that would mean ACTUALLY doing something.....
    ya stole my thunder!

You guys are spot on.....LOL

Chuck La Chez Guest

Just what the doctor ordered: another backseat driver on the road to restoration.

My interpretations:

"...Explores changes that can move the region forward as well as the consequences of neglect" means "explores changes that I support and the consequences of not heeding my opinions."

"A profile of a Detroit neighborhood that has been revitalized" means "an explanation of how this successful neighborhood adopted my opinions."

"A report on efforts that are paying off in one U.S. industrial city and the lessons that Detroit can learn from its success" means "an explanation of how this successful city adopted my opinions."

"A segment on the challenges suburban communities are facing as they struggle with job loss and income reduction" means "An explanation of how communities that haven't adopted my opinions are failing."

I'm certain that the timely launch of this has everything to do with Snyder.

Actually, this press release just seems to be a string of upbeat, "inspirational" cliches that's put together poorly.

I see the hoary 1970s word "impact" is still getting play. Hilarious that the phrase, "Impact people to get involved" is at all taken seriously. In the old days, that would mean kicking somebody in the ass and yelling, "Get back to work!"

FoxyScholar10 Guest

How much are the Freep ad rates these days? Looks like it was cheaper to generate a press release for an article versus BUYING AN AD! Sigh....

**glances at the degree certificate of my B.A. in Journalism from Wayne State and fondly remembers when journalists actually had original thoughts**

Channel 7's documentary on Detroit is compared with Channel 4's documentary on the 'Cost of Segregation'

Hey foxy, I hear you. My old Wayne State Journalism instructors are rolling in their graves.
    Newscasters and most reporters today have more in common with hucksters at the carny than Walter Cronkite or Mike Royko.

That's the same thing New Detroit said after the riot of '67....I left Detroit in '72...came back in '98...still looks the same to me...

Talk is cheap. How many reporters are willing to move into the city?
    No way Jose.

Ok so this is driving me crazy

I keep following links and looking this up but i can't find WHEN they broadcast this segment. Can someone help me out here? Sorry if I missed it but I'm getting frustrated trying to find this simple bit of info.

I posted about this a few days ago... could the Mods merge the threads? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    Ok so this is driving me crazy

I keep following links and looking this up but i can't find WHEN they broadcast this segment. Can someone help me out here? Sorry if I missed it but I'm getting frustrated trying to find this simple bit of info.
    It's not showing up on my Comcast TV listings guide for tonight.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    No way Jose.
    Especially Channel 7's crew. Many of them live out Rochester way and other points north.

One of their big dogs in particular seems very anti-Detroit other than the sporting events.

The 7 pm newscast was really the new upbeat pat yourself on the back happy news last night. The broadcast seemed surreal. It was almost like they were cheerleaders.
    Very bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    No way Jose.
    Are they going to be covering City Hall and interviewing the mayor and Council members, making them explain why they vote the way they do and do what they do?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Especially Channel 7's crew. Many of them live out Rochester way and other points north.

One of their big dogs in particular seems very anti-Detroit other than the sporting events.
    who, Faust?

lilpup Guest

Nope, not talking about Faust.

....Shane?

For NAIAS visitors it would be refreshing for them to see "positive" stories about Detroit versus negative ones.

Stand up and tell 'em you're from Detroit!

Flash in the pan now. Let's see if WXYZ still has this campaign next year and the years leading up to 2020. Let's have this talk next year and if they're still pimping and promoting the initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Rah Rah stories are nice and all... I'm sure a "Slows is revitalizing Corktown" story is on tap, because that hasn't been done before... but hey, how about they start this Detrot2020 campaign by announcing they'll be moving the station from Southfield to Detroit? Oh wait, that would mean ACTUALLY doing something.....
    Yea, a matter of fact I drove by Slows yesterday and saw a Channel 7 truck parked infront of there and they had a bright light shining inside as it was if they where doing an interview.

Nothing personal agenst Slows, but im really getting tired of seeing them in the news.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast