Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default OMG! WIll you LOOK at this sunrise?!

Can anyone get some pictures?

I'm trying, but my honey just called on her way into the office to insure I didn't miss it...and I didn't want any of YOU to, either!

Cheers

It's clouded over here in Western Oakland County... But the sunsets on New Years Day and yesterday evening were phenomenal!

I'm trying to edit the shots I took, but by the time I got my camera...found some damn batteries with juice...and ran around trying to find a decent angle from the house without having to go outside and shock myself more awake than I desire...it wasn't quite as good.

I'll still post what I got...but the it was NOTHING like the reflections off the tufted clouds I saw before my frantic runaround. AND now I'm more awake than I desire...damnit!@!

Best I could do...

The bottom one shows the best hint of the wonders I caught with my first glimpse after that phone call...

Last night the sunset was AMAZING!!!!! It was a deep strawberry red, so gorgeous! I could not get to my camera so I missed capturing it, but so glad I got to see it.

Totally agree. When i looked out it was a beautiful purple above the glow.

george_babbage Guest

Those are the most breathtaking sunrise pictures I've ever seen.
    Last edited by george_babbage; January-04-11 at 01:47 AM.

My sarcasm detector may need calibrating, George. I sense a bit from you, though!

Every sunrise and sunset takes my breath away for the moment I'm yet again aware of the passage of time.

OMG, will you LOOK at all the shade of gray today! LOL.

OK, so yeah, some days are better than others...but I'm still surprised by 'em all.

Thank you pollution.

Nah, this one is ALL Mother Nature, it seems.

Yanno, God's Wife.

I'll back you up on the nice sunrise, Gannon.
    Driving in on I-96 yesterday a.m. the sky was pitch black, except for a long ribbon of white just above the horizon. Then the ribbon turned yellow-orange before the sun made its appearance. It was very cool, and lasted about 10 minutes. I never saw anything like it.

This thread is just begging for a Double Rainbow reference.

This thread is just begging for a Double Rainbow reference.
    Gimme one so I can get all giggy...do I need to gobble some mushrooms first?

Gimme some of THOSE, too.

I won't CARE if y'all are laughing at me. I'd much rather enjoy God's Canvas and the incredible colors we can get from it.

Come ON, give up those 'shrooms!

Double wainbow! ??

I managed to see it in the Netherlands. It looked like two devil's horns rising over the horizon. Sadly my telephone camera is not suitable to show the awesome spectacle. I heard the next time we can see an event like this will be in 2029. The next total solar exclipse that can be viewed in the Netherlands will be on Oktober 7 2135.... and only in the extreme north of the country..... I will be 166 years old by then@!!1

This is how I saw it, it's not my photo. Credit to Quistnix!

A little more south in the Netherlands the illusion was almost complete. Beelzebub rising!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    It's clouded over here in Western Oakland County... But the sunsets on New Years Day and yesterday evening were phenomenal!

Wasn't as cloudy as I had thought. Also I forgot the sunrise is a few minutes behind here compared to Detroit. I took this pic about about 5 minutes after my initial post. [[Same morning as Gannon's shots but about 40 miles West of Detroit.) It looked much better in real life.

Whitehouse, that first pic you posted is awesome !
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-04-11 at 03:20 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Amazing! John, I didn't know you had a honey!? You're never on Facebook anymore.

This explains Whitehouse' photo:
    Crescent Sunrise: Solar Eclipse January 4, 2011
    Share: by Jordan Yerman | January 3, 2011 at 01:51 pm

645 views | 0 Recommendations | add comment
    Solar Eclipse Vidible in Europe, North Africa, Middle East, Central Asia

An early-morning solar eclipse will be visible in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia on January 4, 2011. This is the first of four expected solar eclipses for 2011. The early partial eclipse [["rescent sunrise") will happen as the moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, blotting out the sun's light as it crosses the sky. The eclipse will be visible at sunrise in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East; and at sunset in Central Asia [[Russia Kazakhstan, Mongolia, northwest China).

2011 will have no full eclipses or annular eclipses, which is rare: we won't see a partial-eclipse-only year again until 2029. Viewers of the January 4 partial eclipse will see more of the sun covered the further north they are.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Crescent Sunrise: Solar Eclipse January 4, 2011 | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/cr...#ixzz1ADnYGUcf

Holy shit!!11! Check out this picture, and be sure to click the large version. It's the ISS eclipsing the sun. [[Well, it at least tried to eclipse the sun... )

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Amazing! John, I didn't know you had a honey!? You're never on Facebook anymore.
    I'm getting things done... committed to someone and something other than myself.

Ahem.