Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Solved Kwame's Money Woes....Michigan Unclaimed Property website

If you go to the state of Michigan's website, there's a link to the Treasury departments "Unclaimed Property" site. You can type in your name and see if there's any money that belongs to you. And since I'm suffering from insomnia tonight, I was searching a lot of my family members' names and then got to wondering....I wonder if Kwame or family is on this. Yep. The ex-mayor has money that the great state is holding on to in his name. Unless the city could get their hands on it and apply it to his restitution?

But please folks, check it out....especially if you're one of the members who've since left this great state. You may not know that there's an old credit union account or check that a utility sent you and now the state is holding it in your name.

Did you look up Carmen Slowski?

Wondering about the other aliases that might've surfaced in the texting idiocy...

Two years ago I checked my name with the site and found nothing. Then I checked the names of my wife's deceased parents, and by golly, there they were.

Sent in a claim form [[I had all the death certificates, Marge's birth certificate, etc. etc.) and got a reply. They required a probate to be made, so I retained an attorney and got a probate court order for release of the funds.

Attorney cost me 3K. But the amount of the unclaimed funds was.......drum roll, please......$36,900 and change. Seems they had stock in Dayton Power and Light, and never mentioned it to the wife. They were both dead over twenty years. [[My wife was an only child).

We split the money between us and our two sons. By the way, it took over half a year to go through all the paper work, court order, etc.

A friend of mine, her husband had a claim with the state but it wasn't nearly so sizeable....around $400-500. I don't recall him having to do much more than send in the required notarized paperwork. Perhaps amounts over a certain dollar amount require more red tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Two years ago I checked my name with the site and found nothing. Then I checked the names of my wife's deceased parents, and by golly, there they were.

Sent in a claim form [[I had all the death certificates, Marge's birth certificate, etc. etc.) and got a reply. They required a probate to be made, so I retained an attorney and got a probate court order for release of the funds.

Attorney cost me 3K. But the amount of the unclaimed funds was.......drum roll, please......$36,900 and change. Seems they had stock in Dayton Power and Light, and never mentioned it to the wife. They were both dead over twenty years. [[My wife was an only child).

We split the money between us and our two sons. By the way, it took over half a year to go through all the paper work, court order, etc.
    Good news!
    After reading this thread I checked the site&my dad's name is on it though it doesn't say the amount of money that might be due him[[or me in this case).
    Maybe one of you can tell me,do they let you know in advance what the amount is or do you have to file first? I only ask because I'd hate to go through the expense of ordering papers[[death certificate)just to get a $20 check lol.

I don't believe they will post the amount because it could probably lead to deceitful attempts, etc for larger amounts. Kind of depends what entity owes the money, I suppose. If it's from an insurance company or a bank account, odds are it would be worth the $20. If it's a refund from a utility, it may not.

It's from one of the banks he banked with.
    Maybe I'll file. Thanks Ct!

Found a couple of entries for my mom so fingers crossed on that. I can't root through all the unclaimed properties for anyone else. Darn our generic names; they come by the hundreds.