Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are pets racist?

Ive heard black owners of dogs say their dog doesn't like whites and vice versa. I have a black female cat that is hostile toward white female aquaintances [[she hisses and swats) but is o.k. with the several black females that have been at my place.

It's usually the pet reacting to the owner's feelings.

Black cats do not like anybody..

Blarf Guest

An animal raised around a certain race of people would probably react differently towards other races of people. It probably would have to do more with strangers, but who knows.

Aren't dogs color-blind?

No, dogs are not racist.

Dogs that are more laid back and unafraid of changes and new experiences will not react in a negative way to differences in people's appearances. There are dogs who have a difficult time handling any kind of change and maybe that could account for a perceived fear of someone of a different skin color than the owners. Dogs may be color blind, but they do see shades of darkness and light.

Our first dog was terrified of men wearing hats, large people and noisy things like lawnmowers. He had a barking, snarling fit one day when I was cleaning and put something that had been on a high shelf down on the sofa. He knew it didn't belong there and was scared of it. It was only a painted box, but it was something different and therefore cause to sound the alarm. We adopted him from the Humane Society, so who knows what he experienced with his previous owners.

I agree that it's probably more a fear of strangers, tone of voice or size that would account for the reactions described in the previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Aren't dogs color-blind?
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

No, they're not color blind. They see color, but not with the intensity that humans do. Every thing is duller looking to them. They have fewer cone cells in their retinas. But they see black and white with MORE intensity than we do, and can see much better in low light.
    Last edited by jcole; May-10-09 at 12:00 PM.

Stosh Guest

So that explains them barking at what is seemingly nothing at night, then when I finally see the stray cat or possum wandering down the street at night I realize that's what they saw.

Animals are not racist. Racism is reserved for some humans.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Ive heard black owners of dogs say their dog doesn't like whites and vice versa. I have a black female cat that is hostile toward white female aquaintances [[she hisses and swats) but is o.k. with the several black females that have been at my place.
    LOL... Terryh.... maybe if you had more white female "acquaintances" around... things would be different. But we know that you love your Nubian Princesses, Abyssinian Queens, Siamese Sultresses and Oriental Goddesses....

ccbatson Guest

I think it is the body language of the owner as a reflection of their feelings about those of other races that is picked up by the dog. An interesting topic that would make an interesting study. However, it is way to politically incorrect to get off the ground.

Lorax Guest

If they're CCBatty's pets, they probably are.

my dog LOVES big breasted females...... Its very apparant and hilarious. He does not care if they are black, white or yellow breasts, long as they are LARGE. Flat chested chicks get no response

He even gets his lipstick out [[wink)

Its really funny when he likes someone, and I cant tell them why.......LOL

I guess I'm the only one here that will admit to having had a "racist" dog. Living in the area I do she seldom saw anyone who was not white. On the rare occasions she did encounter a black or hispanic person she was always visibly upset and sometimes aggressive. As Blarf mentioned I think it has more to do with being accustomed to people being one way and being uncomfortable with the difference.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    As Blarf mentioned I think it has more to do with being accustomed to people being one way and being uncomfortable with the difference.

Sounds like the affliction effecting the Repugnican party, hmm.. must be going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Moetown View Post
    Yeah, my big black tomcat Lenny doesn't like anyone but my wife and I. He can get ornery at times and will bite if I piss him off. Right now he is yowling in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    I think it is the body language of the owner as a reflection of their feelings about those of other races that is picked up by the dog. An interesting topic that would make an interesting study. However, it is way to politically incorrect to get off the ground.

Bats is 100% on this one.

My "other family" raised Dalmations, We are white and one of our best freinds was black. Them Dals were mean, yet not as mean if our friend Mike came over. They would allways jump the fence to try to get him. Funny back then as a 14yr old ,But kinda makes you think at 40.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moetown View Post

Our black cat loves everybody, and it's well known in cat circles, that black cats tend to be more affectionate, and also larger in stature than other domestics.

ccbatson Guest

The fence aggression is rooted at another powerful instinct having to do with territorial dominance and protection. I don't think race has much to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    The fence aggression is rooted at another powerful instinct having to do with territorial dominance and protection. I don't think race has much to do with it.
    True. My cat seems to dislike anybody who comes over who doesn't like cats. Cat lovers, on the other hand, he jumps onto their laps and purrs. He also has an obsession with my fiancé's breasts, but then I guess he takes after me!

My one dog hates pizza delivery people! He tries to bite ME if I try and open the door for the pie. I have to meet the delivery folks on the porch and be out there before the get here, or no pizza for me! They could care less about UPS deliveries, mail, etc...it's just pizza. Neither of my dogs cares what a person's race is...they love everyone [[except the pizza people) equally. They did not, however, like the child molester living across the street. They would bark and go nuts everytime the guy stepped foot out of his front door. He was creepy but had never come in contact with my dogs, they just knew.... He moved, thankfully, and I don't have to calm the dogs down on a regular basis anymore. My cat hates everyone equally...she hisses and spits. She only likes me and the one dog...

My vote is "no", animals are not racist...unless taught to be so.

Years ago I had a Siamese cat that despised bald men. He didn't care about color, just hair loss, lol. He would jump up on something...survey the bald pate underneath him, then hop down behind the person and gently pat the shiny spot...and sink his fangs in if I didn't grab him in time, lol. Good thing the only bald guy to come over was my uncle who adored cats.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    If you get a dog at the shelter and if that dog has been mistreated in the past there is a likelihood that they will react negatively to the type of person who mistreated them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Animals are not racist. Racism is reserved for some humans.
    I found it funny that these were back to back. Isn't racism when you take a specific event with a member of a group and extrapolate that as a trait of the entire group? I also heard that dogs never get beyond the intelligence level of a three year old. Maybe racists are racist because they never make it beyond the intelligence or logic of a three year old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast