Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Shorpy / Woodstock Apartments

My apologies if there is already a Shorpy thread or if this should be posted elsewhere.

The Woodstock Apartments ca. 1920:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9632?size=_original

You can see the apartments today by looking at 412 Peterboro Street, Detroit, in Google Maps street view.

DetroitBoy Guest

i cant find this building. When i look on google maps it is an empty lot. what is the link to it on Google maps? here is the google map link i got when i entered this address:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,266.77,,0,5

It's probably empty because the building has been demolished...along with the house and the taller apartment building next door!

No wait, they're still there...if you go to google and do a street view on Peterboro between Second and Cass on the southside...they are the only aparments left.

The google hit is messed up. It puts you on Cass. You have to really rotate the compass northward to Peterboro then walk the camera a block down and you get it...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...77.75,,0,-9.16

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    i cant find this building. When i look on google maps it is an empty lot. what is the link to it on Google maps? here is the google map link i got when i entered this address:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,266.77,,0,5

DetroitBoy Guest

thanks for the link. the building looks like it has been gentrified. is there an architectural significance to this building? I am not familiar with this part of Detroit. Thanks.

outstanding

thanks for the link. the building looks like it has been gentrified. is there an architectural significance to this building? I am not familiar with this part of Detroit. Thanks.
    It's still a regular apartment building, it was never changed into lofts or something like that.

What is that on the porch of the Woodstock? A bunch of thugs or nice Cass Tech students, or Wayne State biologists, or Cultural Corridor hippies?

Gentrified? More like stripped down. Notice the architectural detailing has been removed. The condition is concerning. Though it looks like history proved far worse for the rest of the neighborhood as it lacks buildings entirely. I'd say that the fact this is still standing is quite the achievement!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Gentrified? More like stripped down. Notice the architectural detailing has been removed. The condition is concerning. Though it looks like history proved far worse for the rest of the neighborhood as it lacks buildings entirely. I'd say that the fact this is still standing is quite the achievement!
    I'd say it's more of an achivement to the owner, a guy named Bill who lives in Troy. Obviously, he stays on top of things down there. He also owned the building next door, not sure if that's still there or not.

My apologies for the map troubles. Google Maps is great but not perfect. When I entered 412 Peterboro it usually came up with the apartments, but not always.

I love that we can see the same structure almost 100 years apart.

I could [[and do) spend a lot of time comparing Google Maps street view with old photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    What is that on the porch of the Woodstock? A bunch of thugs or nice Cass Tech students, or Wayne State biologists, or Cultural Corridor hippies?
    A bunch of thugs, drinking beer and giving dirty looks.

Stromberg2

It's worth making your fingers do the walking onto the 2nd avenue corner and notice that they didnt bother giving a hi-def image of it. Also, there is the Grocer Farm Market on the NW side which seems to promise a shot at produce but instead is only a dumb ole liquor store.

anyone notice the crime scene tape going across the fence?

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    A bunch of thugs, drinking beer and giving dirty looks.

Stromberg2
    LOL...Funny as hell, but I actually believe that your are right on the money!

My exboyfriend lived right down the street at 2nd and Peterboro. He was an interesting guy. Violent too.I still keep up with him via OTIS, and judging by the nature of his crimes, I will be able to watch him progress for a long while. But he was still interesting [[when we werent fist fighting).... I guess his family had lived in that area for over a hundred years and he knew the corridor like the back of his hand, no easy feat for a short white guy with a Napoleon complex and a short temper

I've walked past that place quite a few times, DB66, right on the money!!

Stromberg2

Oh joy... well at least it can't be said to be boring to hang out there...
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    anyone notice the crime scene tape going across the fence?