Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Michigan Lotto

detroitjim Guest

Default Michigan Lotto

Isn't it about time that a mandatory payout be instituted for Lotto?

Let's put the number at 100 million.

On the drawing where the jackpot exceeds that amount and there aren't any 6 number matches ,the money is automatically disbursed to those who have 5 numbers.
    Also the dollar pool for the 5 matches would drop down to those that have 4 matches.

[[In the case of the last 280M super lotto ,NO! 6 number matches and less than ten[[I believe 6) 5 number matches. That'd be six 46.6M winners )Just trying to illustrate a point . Of course ,It'd be only for our STATE Lotto.

During these economic times it makes infinitely more sense to have several millionaires rather than just one.

Big jackpots result in much higher participation [[More $$$ for the states involved).

Mega Millions is played in 42 states and Powerball is played in 44 states. It would take a long time to reach a 100 million dollar jackpot for a lottery played only in Michigan.

Megamillions is not controlled by Michigan alone. I am pretty sure that the Lotto has something like you mentioned, though I have no idea how it works.

Michigan has Classic Lotto 47. Jackpot starts at $1,000,000. If no-one wins a jackpot, it increases by at least $100,000 until it is won.

http://www.michigan.gov/lottery/0,16...111---,00.html

Largest payout I found was $23,597,120 on March 3, 2008.

The game detroitjim is looking for already exists.
    Last edited by 48202; January-03-11 at 01:15 AM.

Odds of winning Classic Lotto 47 jackpot - 1 in 10,737,573
    Odds of winning Mega Millions jackpot - 1 in 175,711,536
    Odds of winning Powerball jackpot - 1 in 195,249,054

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    Odds of winning Classic Lotto 47 jackpot - 1 in 10,737,573
    Odds of winning Mega Millions jackpot - 1 in 175,711,536
    Odds of winning Powerball jackpot - 1 in 195,249,054
    Interesting. I suppose there are people who actually believe in odds.

detroitjim Guest

Of course ,It'd be only for our STATE Lotto.
    Megamillions is not controlled by Michigan alone
    Duh.......

Largest Classic 47 lotto jackpot of $45,800,000 was hit in 1995 by three winners.
    http://www.lotteryuniverse.com/

The game detroitjim is looking for already exists.
    Absolutely NOT!
    There is NO mandatory payout here.
    So maybe the 100M example was a bit much for OUR lotto.
    Make it 20M or better yet have automatically payout after the 11th drawing.

I'll bet that the lotto sales will increase on those draws ,where the jackpot will be distributed ,no matter if any ticket matches 6 numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Interesting. I suppose there are people who actually believe in odds.
    Yup. The numbers speak for themselves, from the astronomical odds on lotteries to the 2 to 1 odds on a coin flip.

By the way, don't come to Nevada to buy a lottery ticket. The state constitution prohibits lotteries, believe it or not.

I know I'm foolish for even suggesting this, but what say they simply drop the lottery, and we all just go back to paying taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    By the way, don't come to Nevada to buy a lottery ticket. The state constitution prohibits lotteries, believe it or not.
    Amazing.