Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When will the Wings get a Winter Classic?

Watching the slushy battle of PIT/WAS yesterday for the 2nd time in 3 years, I'm wondering why Bettman hasn't proposed playing in the D yet. CoPa seems to be the perfect place to have a game and I'm sure Illitch wouldn't mind bringing more attention to his beloved team and bringing the action closer to Foxtown. Who do I make the letter out to?

The Wings played in Chicago at Wrigley Field just a couple of years ago. Neither Montreal nor Toronto has hosted the event nor has New York City. It will be at least several years before the game comes to Detroit.

Wouldn't be a bad idea, dont think you would be able to fill the place or have the number of fans they had yesterday, might have to give away some of those $5 faux pizza's. Horrible things those are...spend more money on improving the product instead of cramming millions of dollars of adversting down our throats like it's the best thing that ever invented by man. Those of you who have kids are all to familiar with the fund raising pizza kits as well....build your own cardboard pizza with ketchup, paper thin exta spicy pepperoni, and unflavored cheese...I would gladly take a Chef Boy R Dee boxed pizza kit any day...

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Wouldn't be a bad idea, dont think you would be able to fill the place or have the number of fans they had yesterday, might have to give away some of those $5 faux pizza's. Horrible things those are...spend more money on improving the product instead of cramming millions of dollars of adversting down our throats like it's the best thing that ever invented by man. Those of you who have kids are all to familiar with the fund raising pizza kits as well....build your own cardboard pizza with ketchup, paper thin exta spicy pepperoni, and unflavored cheese...I would gladly take a Chef Boy R Dee boxed pizza kit any day...
    In other news White Castle doesn't serve Kobe Beef burgers and KFC doesn't Chicken Marsala. Why is this guy so butt hurt over something is not on topic and that should have absolutely no impact on his life whatsoever?

Back on the actual subject, the Wings played the Winter Classic in 2009. In 2009 it was in Chicago with the Wings/Hawks, 2010 it was in Boston with the Flyers/Bruins and this year it was in Washington DC so I don't know where the Pit/Was game for the 2nd time in 3 years came from.

2008 had the Pens/Sabers so I guess you might be upset with the Pens getting a 2nd game in 4 years but they have the poster child of the NHL playing for them so they are going to get pushed, get over it

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    In other news White Castle doesn't serve Kobe Beef burgers and KFC doesn't Chicken Marsala. Why is this guy so butt hurt over something is not on topic and that should have absolutely no impact on his life whatsoever?

Back on the actual subject, the Wings played the Winter Classic in 2009. In 2009 it was in Chicago with the Wings/Hawks, 2010 it was in Boston with the Flyers/Bruins and this year it was in Washington DC so I don't know where the Pit/Was game for the 2nd time in 3 years came from.

2008 had the Pens/Sabers so I guess you might be upset with the Pens getting a 2nd game in 4 years but they have the poster child of the NHL playing for them so they are going to get pushed, get over it

Butt hurt? ...uh yup...eating that pizza burns going in and coming out...I guess you knew that already....have another slice...

The best place in North America to have an outdoor NHL game was Tiger Stadium. No place could offer the fans a closer viewing experience. Now I know the people that attend these games are there for all the hoopla and are not concerned about how close they are to the action, but still, it would have been great.

bartock Guest

There were an admittedly undercounted 85,000 people at the Big House a couple of weeks ago for a hockey game. I'd bet they would sell out Comerica Park, despite the inevitable sight-line issues.

The ultimate game would be the Wings and the Habs at the Big House

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The ultimate game would be the Wings and the Habs at the Big House
    Yup I'm all for that, The Big O in Montreal is not the greatest venue for that and apart from Saputo or Molson Stadium, the options are limited. The weather in Detroit would also be colder and better suited to this event than the Pitts? We have had a spell of warm weather here though this week like Detroit, unusually mild.

How about Ford Field [[after it's conversion to a retractable roof stadium, a man can dream!)

thatguy123 Guest

Butt hurt? ...uh yup...eating that pizza burns going in and coming out...I guess you knew that already....have another slice...
    U mad bro? You must be. I bet you got fired from a LC and now are all upset with them. That has to be it, there is no other reason someone would hold such anger against something that does not affect their life in any way

Gary Bettman knows that Detroit Fans will eat whatever the NHL feeds them, and not even in spite of him, just because the Wings organization and fans are top notch. While the rest of the league flounders, and unjustifiably located teams such as Atlanta and Phoenix, [[which can't give tickets away and are propped up financially by our own ticket sales), the Saviour Red Wings will visit these places and Wings fans will show up. Hell, if they're really lucky, we'll even get to eliminate these teams in the first round of the playoffs, irrationally justifying a reason to keep hockey in Phoenix, while prospective buyers [[with cash) are mysteriously shut out.

Detroit will get another stab at the Winter Classic, but they'll be playing it in Montreal or Toronto. It's another NHL joke that we get to play these classic rivals, at home, only once every two years. Did anyone notice all the Montreal fans at Joe Louis last month when the Habs were here? There was a different feel at JLA that night, one that rarely happens for a regular season game. We'll have to wait two more years for that, but I doubt it will be a New Years Day game.

And Downriviera, my DYes hockey buddy, you are right about Tiger Stadium. Too bad, man.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post

Detroit will get another stab at the Winter Classic, but they'll be playing it in Montreal or Toronto. .
    Toronto and Montreal will never get a Winter Classic with NBC involved. If you involve a Canadian team guess which channel the fans from Canada will be watching? Certainly not NBC.

My guess for the next one--Rangers v Isles--Yankee Stadium

You have to consider the number of Sunbelt teams in the league too. What...6 of em at least?

They may have missed their best chance on 12-10-10. They hosted the Canadiens at Joe Louis on the Friday night before the Big Chill at the Big House. The rink was all set up and paid for by Arby's. If they moved that game to Ann Arbor, they may have set a new NHL record too. If there is ever another event like the Big Chill, I bet that there will be a tie-in with the Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    U mad bro? You must be. I bet you got fired from a LC and now are all upset with them. That has to be it, there is no other reason someone would hold such anger against something that does not affect their life in any way
    You bet I'm mad I own one!

When Canadian teams host outdoor games, it's called the Heritage Classic. There was one in 2003 and the next one is in Calgary in February. I doubt a Canadian city would host the Winter Classic any time soon, for reasons mentioned above like broadcasting rights, as well as the fact that the WC is the most-watched regular season game and rivals Stanley Cup finals games. It doesn't make sense to showcase teams that 1.) don't necessarily have large American followings [[besides perhaps hardcore fans) and 2.) don't have marquee players like Ovechkin, Kane, Crybaby, etc...

We've only won 4 Cups in the last 10 years so we may have to win another one before it's considered . Besides , Gary Buttman is all above promoting the NHL in a football/baseball/basketball/NASCAR country , and what better way to do that than to promote it with the NHL's poster child '' Cindy Crysby '' No need to promote the game in Detroit . I think a Toronto vs Detroit matchup in either city would be a good thing . There will be another outdoor game this season in Canada [[Heritage game ) Calgary ? hell I forgot now , I remember the game Montreal vs Edmonton way back when , no worry about rain this time of year out there , hell I was cold just watching that game lol

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The best place in North America to have an outdoor NHL game was Tiger Stadium. No place could offer the fans a closer viewing experience. Now I know the people that attend these games are there for all the hoopla and are not concerned about how close they are to the action, but still, it would have been great.
    Too bad they tore that down

Quote Originally Posted by 9606 Prest View Post
    The Wings played in Chicago at Wrigley Field just a couple of years ago.
    They both wore beautiful throwback jerseys for that game, the Wings in the Cougars original Olde English "D"

& the first game of this type was the LA Kings vs NY Rangers in Vegas[[Caesar's Palace Parking Lot) in '91;
    http://www.mayorsmanor.com/2010/12/k...oor-games.html

This is easy. Red Wings vs. New York Rangers at Michigan Stadium. They would have to agree to play at night to avoid a conflict with a Michigan day bowl game, but they might move this game to prime time permanently anyway. Biggest hockey market in US vs.Most popular hockey team in US. Such a no brainer that I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

http://newolympia.blogspot.com
    Last edited by schulzte; January-02-11 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Toronto and Montreal will never get a Winter Classic with NBC involved. If you involve a Canadian team guess which channel the fans from Canada will be watching? Certainly not NBC.
    Your probably right about that, although CBC was supposed to broadcast the game at 1PM as well as NBC.

On a brighter note however, take it a step further and throw out all the southern teams that could never build an outdoor rink, and the odds of Detroit getting a game go up dramatically. Think how great it would be to see Montreal or Toronto playing at the CoPa.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Illitch tore it down, or was complicit in it being torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by schulzte View Post
    This is easy. Red Wings vs. New York Rangers at Michigan Stadium. They would have to agree to play at night to avoid a conflict with a Michigan day bowl game, but they might move this game to prime time permanently anyway. Biggest hockey market in US vs.Most popular hockey team in US. Such a no brainer that I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

http://newolympia.blogspot.com
    They should've had the Wings play at The Big House while it was set up for the Big Chill. I was watching the game and wondering why it hadn't happened. Terrible venue for a hockey game, I'll take Yost or Munn anyday, but an absolutely great place for an event - and the Big Chill was much more of an event than a hockey game. Fun regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

My guess for the next one--Rangers v Isles--Yankee Stadium
    They already had one in Edmonton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast