Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default A one eyed heroin addict and her sons

I knew that would get your attention, but its true. Theres a woman I know [[yes she has only one eye) who lives in a vacant house with her two sons [[over 18 trs old) and another fellow. Someone came to their door this morning and said they were going to tear the house down tomorrow, yes, on Sunday the 2nd of January, and they had to be gone.

I say they were not properly informed, they need to be evicted, 90 days bla bla bla.

Anyone have any info on this type of situation? I told them to stay put and when they come with the bulldozer to stand their ground and refuse to leave. Squatters have rights I believe.

I don't necessarily care what you all think about the situation but I do care what you know.

Im tryin to help this family out here and there. They need a kerosene heater if anyone has an extra [[yes they might burn down the house), let me know. Any other ideas other than AA/NA I would love to hear them.

I know you said no na/aa. BUT... I am more familiar with Oakland Co, and she can contact PACE [[google for number) and they can get her into treatment. It is free and on demand. There is more funding available for women - but her sons could probably get help too. I don't know if Wayne Co has a program like PACE.

Also, I agree - unless someone is there with a bulldozer I would NOT move. If a bulldozer does come- there are plenty of empty houses on the Eastside they can move into.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I knew that would get your attention, but its true. Theres a woman I know [[yes she has only one eye) who lives in a vacant house with her two sons [[over 18 trs old) and another fellow. Someone came to their door this morning and said they were going to tear the house down tomorrow, yes, on Sunday the 2nd of January, and they had to be gone.

I say they were not properly informed, they need to be evicted, 90 days bla bla bla.

Anyone have any info on this type of situation? I told them to stay put and when they come with the bulldozer to stand their ground and refuse to leave. Squatters have rights I believe.

I don't necessarily care what you all think about the situation but I do care what you know.

Im tryin to help this family out here and there. They need a kerosene heater if anyone has an extra [[yes they might burn down the house), let me know. Any other ideas other than AA/NA I would love to hear them.
    Kerosene is a bad idea.They do have rights.They are entitled to due process and must be evicted legally..........however I see little recourse because even though they are entitled to due process in the end what will they get? They can sue and be awarded some likely niggardly [[look it up) amount of money but it won't be enough to mean much.The best thing is to contact the police.If the police are informed as they should be they will know that due process must be followed.Of course they may [[cops) mat decide not to get involved in which case at least there is a police report and a record of the illegal eviction.

As for the addiction; aint nothing anyone can do she must decide and take action nothing else will work.

She no doubt will have to move, its not her place, its an abandoned house thats on the demo list. I just find it odd that they can kick her out on one days notice. I told her to sit tight and not move, they can call the cops but what could they do? Cops dont want shit to do with this mess.
    To be honest I told her to sit tight just because I want to fuck with the man, she already has another place to go, they like this one because the dope house is right across the street and another one on the next block.

nig·gard·ly   
    [nig-erd-lee] Show IPA
    –adjective
    reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
    meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.

Interesting, Im glad you said to look it up.

Thanks Citylover.

checkraisej Guest

What the hell is wrong with you? These people illegally entered a house that was to be demolished, and when the demolision time comes, you want them to "stick it to the man"? I'm sure they are really upstanding drug addicts and all, but there are plenty of other abandoned houses they can move to. Then you have the nerve to ask for donations of a kerosene heater so they can burn the house down? You're unbelievable. That's the type of intelligence that leads someone to lose an eye while scrapping. You want advice? Tell them to get the fuck out of the house and move to a different abandoned one before a bulldozer comes and knocks it down while they're inside. We really don't want a stunning loss of such community leaders as all your friends seems to be.

citylover Guest

Default legally

She no doubt will have to move, its not her place, its an abandoned house thats on the demo list. I just find it odd that they can kick her out on one days notice. I told her to sit tight and not move, they can call the cops but what could they do? Cops dont want shit to do with this mess.
    To be honest I told her to sit tight just because I want to fuck with the man, she already has another place to go, they like this one because the dope house is right across the street and another one on the next block.

nig·gard·ly   
    [nig-erd-lee] Show IPA
    –adjective
    reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
    meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.

Interesting, Im glad you said to look it up.

Thanks Citylover.
    I don't think they can kick her out in one day[[I am not a lawyer) but I think I am on solid ground here.............practically speaking the cops should be contacted to create a record so that should you and your neighbor decide to take legal action you have some documentation..........now perhaps they have gone thru the necessary steps and your neighbor ignored notices to appear in court in which case the sheriff"s dept would show up to enforce the eviction........either way contacting the police regardless of their interest or lack of is probably the best approach

citylover Guest

Default Intresting

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you? These people illegally entered a house that was to be demolished, and when the demolision time comes, you want them to "stick it to the man"? I'm sure they are really upstanding drug addicts and all, but there are plenty of other abandoned houses they can move to. Then you have the nerve to ask for donations of a kerosene heater so they can burn the house down? You're unbelievable. That's the type of intelligence that leads someone to lose an eye while scrapping. You want advice? Tell them to get the fuck out of the house and move to a different abandoned one before a bulldozer comes and knocks it down while they're inside. We really don't want a stunning loss of such community leaders as all your friends seems to be.
    response in this day and age when banks are on a not infrequent basis changing locks and removing everything from legally occupied homes............be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Everyone is entitled to due process.

checkraisej Guest

Moving to another of the many abandoned houses in the city would be the easiest thing to do and it would be the right thing to do. I shouldn't have to say this, but it's not their house. It would be like if someone was illegally scrapping and got injured, say lost an eye, and tried to sue the building owner. This person was stealing and trespassing yet feels they should try to sue the person they were stealing from.

I think this whole discussion is going to be moot anyway. It's not like one eyed heroin addicts that live in abandoned houses in Detroit are real big on "sticking it to the man", or making political statements.

Haha! Nice! Using the poor, dope heads for your pawn in a 'stick it to the man' game! Let them move on and why don't you fight a different cause like, I don't know, maybe the real reason these people got to where they are now. like their lack of education, lack of community resources, lack of EVERYTHING!

I have seen some stupid shit on this forum but this may top it. Jeeez.

To be honest, your right check. I dont have any real reason to "stick it to the man" I just found it bad that these ppl will be thrown out of this house on a days notice. I was just tryin to find a temp solution for them so they have another place to live. I got a little carried away wit "the man" part.

At least they are being notified. The house is abandoned and it's not their legal residence. Are they paying heat and water? Taxes? I'm sure they aren't so bye bye!

Hell no, their squatting. Its obvious their living there so yeah it is their legal residence. I think they should be given at least a notice of more than 24 hrs.

If it were your friends you might feel different and no Im not about to take them in.

I dont buy into this capitalist game. To be honest Im taking on this argument playing devils advocate. Im not sure where its gonna go.

I say they should hold their ground, but I doubt they will.

You can not legally reside in a vacant property, especially if you aren't paying taxes. The property is legally owned either by the city or the county.

Ive heard different, If they have a letter addressed to them at that address their legally living there but Im no lawyer. Ive had cops come to buildings Ive lived in and they wanted to see something that proved I lived there, I showed them a letter and they said Cool.

And yeah, they could use some heat. I dont want to feed the problem but I rather keep them warm instead of stiff.

Its obvious their living there so yeah it is their legal residence.

Not!

They're trespassing. Go ahead and call the cops. They'll have a nice warm place to sleep and a few meals at the Wayne County Jail.

Yeah, like the cops here are gonna do anything, as if County has room for squatters, Pffffttt where are YOU from, Lapeer or something?

citylover Guest

Default misinformed forumers

here.....I will say it again they have right to due process.Whether they get it now or later is the 1st question.The 2nd question is do they [[addict)choose to pursue their due process.

Two examples: I move in with meddle I don't sign any agreement of any kind and after out staying my welcome meddle says get the heck out..............he/she must evict me i.e. must go to court and get a notice to quit in which case I have at least 30 days or more [[depending on time of month). 2nd example would not apply here necessarily but shows how the law must be followed.Meddle rents a room to me on a month to month agreement. I leave of my own accord.Meddle wants to rent to another tenant.He/she must still go to court and go thru the same notice to quit eviction procedure etc,etc.

The reason most police depts do not get involved is they consider it a civil issue.However as I said it is important to create a record for future use if needed.

The right thing to do is follow the law.If you all are willing to circumvent the law here you are tacitly saying you are giving up your own right to due process in other matters.We live in an orderly society where vigilante backwood justice is not tolerated which is why all are entitled to due process.

I assume the house is not being demo'd because Moma 1 Eye and the Eyelettes are staying there. In fact, I'll bet ya that the owner would be surprised anyone could live there; otherwise he'd be charging rent.

And what about the neighbors, those poor taxpayers who get the look at Chez Poop? They don't matter? The ones who are afraid to leave the house, they don't matter?

and after out staying my welcome meddle says get the heck out..............he/she must evict me i.e. must go to court and get a notice to quit in which case I have at least 30 days or more [[depending on time of month).
    Wanna bet? Eviction by the firm of Smith & Wesson, Colt and Rueger. And your 'time of the month' won't matter.

When you call the cops, it'll be "Who? Never saw that so-and-so before, never even heard of 'em. They say they lived here? Nope, they's a-lyin' to ya' Occifer. What? They got mail addressed here? Well, the number's on the front of the house, so I guess they lied to somebody else too."

As I see it living in a house that is not yours and on the demo list,Don't sound good. Not to be a grinch But I don't see where living in an abandoned house gives you the same rights as if it were your own house that you have paid for.Good luck to One Eye,s kids.

Vox Guest

Yeah, like the cops here are gonna do anything, as if County has room for squatters, Pffffttt where are YOU from, Lapeer or something?
    I'm actually surprised that this board lets you promote this activity. Drug addicts, drug use, homeless drunks, scrapping. All upstanding activities, no? You would think that promoting a more reasonable lifestyle would be more desirable.

citylover Guest

Default medlles cash

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Wanna bet? Eviction by the firm of Smith & Wesson, Colt and Rueger. And your 'time of the month' won't matter.

When you call the cops, it'll be "Who? Never saw that so-and-so before, never even heard of 'em. They say they lived here? Nope, they's a-lyin' to ya' Occifer. What? They got mail addressed here? Well, the number's on the front of the house, so I guess they lied to somebody else too."
    would find it's way into my pocket based on meddles prmitive hillbilly idea of justice.From the sound of it no mater how meager the amount of money I received either by a judgment or by you simply knowing you were in the wrong it would upset you greatly.Sorry to read you have no respect for the law. On this I know beyond any doubt that you are in the wrong simply put we have laws precisely to avoid bad ideas like using guns etc.....

Moma One Eye and the Eyelettes. I cannot wait to bring that stage name up to them when I stop by tomorrow.

Okay, they took over an abandoned house that was being used by no one, its a decent enough house on a block which is almost completely free of all houses.
    They already have another house lined up, actually several. Their not hurting for an abandoned to live in. I just thought it ill that someone can come bulldoze their squat with only 12 hours notice.

I know I know, tough love.

Honestly, you all are right. I know these ppl and I want to help them, I dont want to see them kicked out. But you all are right. I guess I just kept posting because I like to argue, I guess I was just hoping it would turn out different, like them being able to stay.

I might not be the sharpest spoon in the toolbox but Im here, I live here and I care about these ppl.

Meddle, I want to apologize for my remark and the being from Lapeer bit, it was not intended for you. You didnt deserve my angst. I am sorry. I got carried away.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast