Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Detroit Economy?

I was surprised by the growing scope of the project. I've noticed that it's getting harder and harder to park around there, but I didn't know there were so many new businesses. More power to them.

Seriously, wonderful news. CCS's MFA will only assist in the area's development.

Retroit Guest

Very good news. The article gives the impression that there is a shortage of office space in Detroit. How can this be? Or is it necessary for all these companies to be in close proximity to one another? Or is it because out-of-state firms don't want to spend the time & money updating existing space?

I'm not trying to be a naysayer or antagonistic. I just am puzzled why firms who want to set up shop in Detroit have to be put on a "waiting list" due to lack of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Very good news. The article gives the impression that there is a shortage of office space in Detroit. How can this be? Or is it necessary for all these companies to be in close proximity to one another? Or is it because out-of-state firms don't want to spend the time & money updating existing space?

I'm not trying to be a naysayer or antagonistic. I just am puzzled why firms who want to set up shop in Detroit have to be put on a "waiting list" due to lack of space.
    Why would you get that impression? The first line of the articles states:

In a city where roughly one-quarter of available office space is empty, TechTown stands out as an economic anomaly.

MIRepublic Guest

Yeah, not sure where he got that idea. The article clearly says that it's TechOne that's that's running out of space, or at least being much more quickly built-out than they expected.

I think the interesting question is what benefit do these firms get from being in close proximity to each other? Why is tech town out of space, when the surrounding business offices are only 1/4 full. I guess the article hints at what these extra things are. Obviously its not just having an internet connection.

MIRepublic Guest

It's a business and research incubator. Really, nothing much else needs to be said unless one doesn't know what an incubator is. It's not like it's a secret, or if they haven't advertised every moment they've gottent to mention that they are a research and business incubator.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-10-09 at 02:53 AM.