Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Explosion and Building Down Downtown-WTF?!

I just heard the tail end of a report on NPR about some explosion downtown and a building coming down...does anyone have any information on this yet?!

OK, got this on WDIV's excellent website:http://www.clickondetroit.com/slides...16/detail.html

Seems it was in WAYNE...in my grogginess I heard Wayne STATE. This explains the quote on the 'city hall' being nearby...must get that coffeemaker working for me today.

DC48080 Guest

It was a furniture store downtown........ downtown Wayne, that is.

http://detnews.com/article/20101229/...urniture-store

Just talked to my MIL, all her furniture is from that store. It is a fixture in the community, great quality and caring people.

Cobwebs galore here.

Wow, daddeeo...you are the most perceptive one in the bunch!

Thanks for that dose of your brilliance.

Care to add anything constructive to the conversation, or would you just love to judge others?!

It's tragic, but it could've been a whole lot worse. That store is just about in downtown Wayne. More businesses could've been taken out.

People should be more careful with their Blowout Sales.

The explosion took out most of the windows in stores on the same block. Cars going by had windows blown out. The explosion could be heard up to 10 miles away. Its amazing the store owner survived, but 2 employees are missing.
    Consumers power was notified of a gas leak around 7:00am and were 2 blocks down when the explosion occurred at 9:00.
    This has become a national story.
    How strange, come to work one day and have you world turned upside down.

Why were people still hanging around the store after reporting the leak?

the leak was two blocks away..it was reported at 6am..the store opened at 9..just when it exploded..

DC48080 Guest

Prayers for the two missing employees, the owner [[who is at U of M burn center) and their families. A terrible tragedy indeed.

Gnome, really?

Ravine Guest

Using the suddenly extremely tiresome cliche question, "really?," really?

One of the missing employees is confirmed dead. This is so sad!

Edited to add the link from the Freep:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...urniture-store

Edited again to note that per Fox 2 News, the other victim has been found. No confirmation yet if they are alive or dead.
    Last edited by English; December-29-10 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Why the callous statements Gnome?

I expect better from you...

I live in Wayne maybe less than 2 mi from the blast, I sure heard and felt it. But I thought nothing of it since I live near the railroad track and not far from the airport.
    I have known the owner of the vac shop next to Franks for over 20 years. I feel for those who lost their loved ones in the explosion, and my prayers go out to them as well as the owner of Franks.
    After going down to the area did I realize the big picture of the tragedy. Sad day in Wayne/Westland.

A house around a half mile from me blew up from a gas leak around 15 years ago. In the middle of the night I had just closed my bedroom door after using the bathroom and it sounded like someone had nailed my door with a 100 MPH fastball.

The next morning I heard about the house explosion on the news. Fortunately the home owners were on vacation. The only thing worse than coming home from vacation to find that your house is gone is not going on vacation and having your house gone. Had to be the best vacation ever.

Reading this today I can see how it was misinterpretated. I should have said,
    "Other retailers should not advertise their End-of-Year Blow Out sales, as they would be considered in bad taste."

However, I fear that Ad Campaigns are planned weeks and months ahead and we will now be hearing and seeing a variety of products and services offered at Blow-Out prices.

For example, I believe the MEtro Times came out yesterday with their BlowOut event. Bad timing.

Last edited by Whitehouse; December-30-10 at 08:50 AM.

rjk: You live in Fraser? Same thing happened there some time back. I remember driving by the house afterward and it was totally flattened...nothing but a pile of rubble. Seems to me it was a problem with the water heater in that house, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Vox Guest

Reading this today I can see how it was misinterpretated. I should have said,
    "Other retailers should not advertise their End-of-Year Blow Out sales, as they would be considered in bad taste."

However, I fear that Ad Campaigns are planned weeks and months ahead and we will now be hearing and seeing a variety of products and services offered at Blow-Out prices.

For example, I believe the MEtro Times came out yesterday with their BlowOut event. Bad timing.
    What you said initially was in bad taste to begin with. Covering it up with more stupidity just is piling on.
    Last edited by Vox; December-30-10 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    rjk: You live in Fraser?
    No, that must have been another one. It seems like these type of explosions happen every few years.

It was a natural gas pipe leak that led to an explosion. The owner of the furniture store is a critical condition at U of M Hospital. Two employees died in the rubble. My prayers to them in their families.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast