Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New life for aging Boblo boat

Sigh...I wish they were keeping it on the Detroit River, and not taking her to New York.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...fe-new-mission

Some of my most profound memories is taking the Columbia to Boblo Island. That boat was so intimidating, but intensely fascinating.

I remember the sound of the engines at it was departing from the Detroit docks on its way to the island for a day of fun. My younger brother got to steer the ship one time on the way to Boblo. I remember the amazing beauty of the wooden decks, the ornate stair cases.

The St. Claire was parked a few years ago at Tricentennial State park. It was so amazing to just touch that boat, the pure joy of childhood flooding back.

With boats like the Diamond Princess running up and down the Detroit River, why isn't this viable to get these boats on the water and doing dinner cruises, poker tournaments and private parties? The Columbia has a dance floor, and it has an entire region, with generations of people who know those boats and have deep memories on them. Who wouldn't want to go on those boats on a warm summer night?

Hopefully the St. Claire can be restored and brought back onto the waters for more people to enjoy.

I think that the fact that these two treasures have been allowed to fall into such a state shows a great deal about what the region has done to keep them: nothing. It is sad that the Columbia seems destined to the Hudson river, but at least she'll be restored by somebody who seems to give a damn, and that brings hope that at some point in the future she may return home. The same can't be said for most of what we have neglected, then tossed aside.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I think that the fact that these two treasures have been allowed to fall into such a state shows a great deal about what the region has done to keep them: nothing. It is sad that the Columbia seems destined to the Hudson river, but at least she\'ll be restored by somebody who seems to give a damn, and that brings hope that at some point in the future she may return home. The same can\'t be said for most of what we have neglected, then tossed aside.
    They trot out this story every now and again to show something is being done, but the reality is probably something different. 10 million dollars on that boat? I think that they could build a new boat for that price. The St. Clair is still being rehabbed by volunteers, last I heard. I don\'t feel that is gonna work either, but I could be wrong.

I'm invoking Skipper's Rule #1.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I think that the fact that these two treasures have been allowed to fall into such a state shows a great deal about what the region has done to keep them: nothing. It is sad that the Columbia seems destined to the Hudson river, but at least she'll be restored by somebody who seems to give a damn, and that brings hope that at some point in the future she may return home. The same can't be said for most of what we have neglected, then tossed aside.
    I'm not as optimistic that she'd ever return home... remember the Lansdowne?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6425

This reminds me of Tiger Stadium discussions. Who would want to donate to fix up this boat if it's going to New York?
    Makes no sense.

The SS North America cruised the Great Lakes for years and was also purchased for use on the east coast. It was to be used as a waitress training vessel by the Seafarers International Union. This was in about 1967. The North America was towed by a tug. A storm came up while being towed and it sank in the Atlantic. http://www.mhsd.org/passenger/northamerican.htm

My dad grew up in Amherstburg and these boats passed by his dock every trip... I got to ride once or twice on them when I was a little guy. It saddens me to see the Columbia leaving but what about the Ste Claire? Who is "Maximus Corp" and are they planning to restore the boat? Someone mentioned that volunteers may be involved... is that true? Maybe it's time for those of us who can get involved in saving the Ste Claire to step up to the plate. I'd like to be a part of it in even a small way.

I spoke too soon... http://www.bobloboat.com/

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    This reminds me of Tiger Stadium discussions. Who would want to donate to fix up this boat if it's going to New York?
    Makes no sense.
    Your absolutly correct. Im usually into donating money to save these types of things, but why would I make a donation now to help restore the boat, if its not going to remain in Detroit. Let the people in New York pay to restore it

Atleast the Boblo boat can be moved to New York, where it can be restored. Eventhough it sucks that its not going to be in Detroit anymore, its better than sitting on a dock somewhere in Detroit rotting away.

As much as I loved Tiger Stadium, you just can't fight the stupidity of the City of Detroit. If we could have moved it, we would have.

Why does everything in this city that was once great that has historical significance, allowed to go to shit? Doesn't anyone in this city care about our history?
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; December-29-10 at 02:00 AM.

littlebuddy Guest

People don't even care that much about old people, much less old buildings,etc. Sad as that is, that just seems to be the way it is. But put out some mindless tv show or bring out some stupid vidio game and people have no limit on time or money, but to invest it in old people or some history, forget it.