Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Great picture of Grand circus!

A lot of things happening here. Looking up Woodward- and Washington Boulevard, David Whitney building with all letters lit, traffic in abundance, a glimpse of the Statler on the right and in the left distance Hudson's is luring customers. No sign yet of the people mover.

This is Christmas 1959.

From the WSU collection.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-27-10 at 06:49 PM.

That's a Cool Pic.

Just incredible. One of the best old photos I've seen. All the offices ablaze in lights....even on Christmas when most of them should be off. Just imagine the same scene on a workday. At least I can imagine seeing the Broderick, Whitney, and possibly the Book lit like this in 5 years.

citylover Guest

Here is something from the det news archives Detroit is a good looking town

http://gallery.pictopia.com/detnews/.../9270277/?o=11

Thanks for the pics folks.... Citylover... notice that the News pic mentions 1905 as the date for the Penobscot Building. More than likely they got their information mixed up... they are probably referring to the first part of the 3 building Penobscot complex. The tower wasn't added until 1928.

DetroitDad Guest

I love how they have Grand Circus Park set up for some December event. Notice the light tree on the side of Hudson's is visible from the side, down Woodward Avenue. Concerning the amount of activity, It appears like this picture was taken during an event. You of course have the setup in Grand Circus Park, but it also appears that there may be people standing looking out in the lighted windows of the Broderick Tower and David Whitney Building. It is very hard to tell.

I also didn't realize East Grand Circus Park had auto or rail ramps like it does in the bottom corner of that picture, interesting.

Hey, does anyone know what the neon sign reads, or is for, at the end of Washington Boulevard?

DetroitDad... that is interesting... I was wondering if that was just a cut-in into the park for the former steetcar line that was later converted for bus use??

But then again... the underground parking garages were installed in 1955... and everything above ground was removed to dig the vast craters for putting the parking structures in before filling it all back up with dirt, fountains, statues and landscaping... so now I am puzzled... unless it was just a cut-in for buses....

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    DetroitDad... that is interesting... I was wondering if that was just a cut-in into the park for the former steetcar line that was later converted for bus use??

But then again... the underground parking garages were installed in 1955... and everything above ground was removed to dig the vast craters for putting the parking structures in before filling it all back up with dirt, fountains, statues and landscaping... so now I am puzzled... unless it was just a cut-in for buses....
    I vaguely remember pulling up to The Detroit Opera House in a big yellow school bus. I know it was a middle school field trip to watch the famous Luciano Pavarotti perform. So that would have been 1996 or 1997. I remember East Grand Circus Park as a huge hole in the ground, with a wooden construction fence around it. The driver had a Heck of a time getting us there, because of the construction.

I vividly remember lots of construction around the Opera House, and a big hole in the ground on that exact spot in question. So, I am going to say I believe that whatever it was, was removed in the mid 1990's???
    Last edited by DetroitDad; December-28-10 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Gram Crackers

Awesome picture. I had to go over to the Compuware Building last night around 7:00 for Thai...needless to say there was little traffic to speak of on Wash or Woodward. It pains me to see these desolate streets. But like Wolverine said, I have hope for the future, the near future.

Interesting paradox....
    Seeing how much cars there are on the street. Looks like there was way more traffic. And nowadays there's an abundance of car parkings, due to buildings being scrapped, and no cars to fill them... Give me back the old days!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Hey, does anyone know what the neon sign reads, or is for, at the end of Washington Boulevard?
    I believe that is the Detroit Free Press building just a couple blocks past the Book Cadillac, so the neon sign is probably theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I believe that is the Detroit Free Press building just a couple blocks past the Book Cadillac, so the neon sign is probably theirs.
    Looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Yeah, that looks like the Free Press building. It appears that the building sits on the east side of Washington Boulevard, but it's an illusion -- that's about where the street bends to the left [[where it was formerly called Wayne).

Great photo Whitehouse. It brought a rush of memories. As a child I'd join my father downtown when he worked in various buildings - Penobscot, Michigan Mutual, etc. We would go out and walk around to cleaners, tobacco shops, hat shops, lounges, etc. My best memories of GCP were walking and sitting there and staring at the canyon of brightly lighted buildings surrounding me. I thought Detroit was the biggest city in the world. Some of my first inspirations of love for Detroit.

Anyone know if the Grand Circus park underground parking is ever open? I've been there during the week at different times, and the roll up doors are closed.
    I though it was a public parking area.

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Anyone know if the Grand Circus park underground parking is ever open? I've been there during the week at different times, and the roll up doors are closed.
    I though it was a public parking area.
    The lower level of GCP garage west is for Kales residents only, the first level is for businesses,[[there's not very many cars parked there though) You need a key card to access the garage, which is why the door is always closed, for our safety..thankfully.

It is nice that on cold mornings my car is always no colder than 50 degrees!

The GCP garage east is open for Lions games I think, and when our garage door is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    The lower level of GCP garage west is for Kales residents only, the first level is for businesses,[[there's not very many cars parked there though) You need a key card to access the garage, which is why the door is always closed, for our safety..thankfully.

It is nice that on cold mornings my car is always no colder than 50 degrees!

The GCP garage east is open for Lions games I think, and when our garage door is broken.
    The GCP is listed as a Fallout Shelter.
    Have you seen any of those signs down there still?

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    The GCP is listed as a Fallout Shelter.
    Have you seen any of those signs down there still?
    No, no I haven't. That's awesome!

Is that a cross out of lights in the windows of the Whitney or just a coincidence? Maybe there was a church function in the park?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Is that a cross out of lights in the windows of the Whitney or just a coincidence? Maybe there was a church function in the park?

I was a sign of the apocalypse Detroit had to suffer the next 50 years.

The christmas tree at the Hudson's.

I think this picture is pretty great.
    It was obviously before the Eaton Tower/Broderick Tower was constructed in 1927/28.

From The Virtual Motor City [[Reuther Library)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...tart=;resnum=9

Quote Originally Posted by Jared9903 View Post
    I think this picture is pretty great.
    It was obviously before the Eaton Tower/Broderick Tower was constructed in 1927/28.

From The Virtual Motor City [[Reuther Library)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...tart=;resnum=9
    Look closely... that IS the Broderick Tower being constructed next to the Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Look closely... that IS the Broderick Tower being constructed next to the Madison.
    Oh yeah !
    I never looked at the larger image, so I figured it was just a restaurant or something there before Eaton was constructed. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

That image looks more like the demo of the previous 5 story structure that predated the Broderick [[Eaton) Tower. What looks like plaster walls on the 2nd floor kind of gives this away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast