Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Crain's List of Things to Come in 2011...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...hings-to-watch

Making the list of things we hope to come:

• New sports arena downtown
    • Light rail
    • Quicken's world headquarters
    • Vanguard's $500mm build-out of DMC
    • Henry Ford's $500mm build-out in New Center
    • Completed wharf on Detroit River
    • New rail tunnel to Canada
    • Second bridge to Canada
    • Detroit Pistons in Detroit

I'm hoping for all of these and more, but if just these projects happen [[and 1,000 other smaller developments), well, I'd be tickled...

Not bad. Here's my list of things that I hope to see in 2011.
    • DPD's response time coming in line with national averages;
    • DPD's closure rate coming in line with national averages;
    • EMS response time coming in line with national averages;
    • Detroit's tax burden being cut so that it's in line with national averages;
    • An end to DFD's rotating closure of fire houses;
    • An implemented plan to deal with arson in Detroit;
    • An implemented plan to deal with lead and other hazardous materials in Detroit's neighborhoods.

Quite frankly, I would trade everything on the Crain's list for anything on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Quite frankly, I would trade everything on the Crain's list for anything on this list.
    Hear, hear. I'd also like to see an implemented plan to deal [[wage war) on scrappers.

Oh, that's a good one, Zozo. I'll add that to my wish list as well.

My Wish List for 2011
    A city government that is not corrupt.
    Police Officers that show up.
    Fire Fighters that show up.
    An EMS truck that shows up.
    A DDOT bus that shows up.
    Street lights that work.
    A school system that cares about education.
    A city that outsiders aren't afraid to visit.
    A city that the residents aren't afraid to live in.

More Brothers killing brothers
    More crime
    More city services cut
    More city corruption
    More middle class black folks moving out of the ghettoes
    More poor blacks stuck in the ghettoes
    Slow regional business growth

Same ole same ole!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    My Wish List for 2011
    A city government that is not corrupt.
    Police Officers that show up.
    Fire Fighters that show up.
    An EMS truck that shows up.
    A DDOT bus that shows up.
    Street lights that work.
    A school system that cares about education.
    A city that outsiders aren't afraid to visit.
    A city that the residents aren't afraid to live in.
    As Woody Allen once observed, "90% of success is just showing up."

I, of course, added the emphasis above to Eastside's comments.

Here is my wish list for Detroit 2011:

• Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by tiorted View Post
    Here is my wish list for Detroit 2011:

• Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs
    • Jobs

That's how many jobs you will need in 2011...

Bill to confine all new development to incorporated municipalities is passed in Lansing.

Insurance rates for the City of Detroit [and other inner cities] are leveled with their metropolitan averages.

Treaty between Canada and US allows free unstopped passage of citizens of the two countries.

Council on Metropolitan Union is convened with delegates from over 100 communities.

Tigers win the World Series. Lions win the superbowl. Pistons win the NBA finals. Charles Pugh get in touch with reality. Dave Bing resigns. Kwame gets his "All Kwame, all of the time reality show.

NorthEndere Guest

• DPD's closure rate coming in line with national averages;
    You have an April post on your very own blog with a Free Press story that states that closure rates are already up to the national average. My hope is that they go even higher. I'd also like to see the striking drop in homicides [[25%) to continue into the next year. Personally, I'd like to see zero homicides, but a 100 less would be heartening. Even if folks still believe the numbers are being fudged [[I don't), or talk about population decline having an effect [[crime is falling at a rate faster than even the most pessimistic population estimates) violent crime is still down considerably. I think one of Bing's biggest accomplishments have been putting in place halfway competent leadership at DPD, and I say this begrudgingly never having been a fan of the guy. The DPD used to never regularly report crime numbers, and now they've been doing it regularly every quarter. I'm also impressed with the seamless transition that took place after Evans was ousted. That could have easily been a disaster.

Here's to hoping to bringing this institution from barely-adequate-to-adequate to halfway respectable.

Oh, BTW, what I'm looking forward to are DPS test scores. I want to see if Bobb will leave a positive legacy and that will be one of those big factors to look at. I also want to see citizens put hard pressure on Bing to change his almost-hostile outlook of DDOT; it's a system that he's played a party in setting up to fail.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; December-27-10 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    You have an April post on your very own blog with a Free Press story that states that closure rates are already up to the national average.
    You must be thinking of a different post or a different blog. DPD's closure rate [[the percent of cases where an arrest is made and the case is sent to the Prosecutor) is still well below national averages.

I wrote 4 police related posts in April of this year. None of them were about DPD's closure rate.

When Chief Evans announced that DPD's response time had dropped from 34 mins. to 24 mins., I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...-response.html

When Chief Evans announced that Detroit's homicide rate had dropped 25% in the first quarter of 2010, I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...uarter-of.html

When I noticed a significant increase in the amount of traffic enforcement in the Warrendale neighborhood, I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...p-traffic.html

When Chief Evans announced that he had managed to do all of this while saving taxpayers more than $1 million in police overtime, I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...ions-save.html

I covered a lot of good news about the police department in April. However, it's closure rate wasn't one of them.

NorthEndere Guest

You must be thinking of a different post or a different blog. DPD's closure rate [[the percent of cases where an arrest is made and the case is sent to the Prosecutor) is still well below national averages.
    From "Homicides Down 25% in First Quarter of 2010" dated April 13:

In addition to reducing the number of homicides, Mr. Evans said that his Homicide Unit continues to perform exceptionally well, closing 65% of the number of new cases it recorded in the first quarter. Homicide closures at the Detroit Police Department are based on obtaining a warrant and making an arrest.

I wrote 4 police related posts in April of this year. None of them were about DPD's closure rate.

When Chief Evans announced that DPD's response time had dropped from 34 mins. to 24 mins., I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...-response.html

When Chief Evans announced that Detroit's homicide rate had dropped 25% in the first quarter of 2010, I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...uarter-of.html

When I noticed a significant increase in the amount of traffic enforcement in the Warrendale neighborhood, I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...p-traffic.html

When Chief Evans announced that he had managed to do all of this while saving taxpayers more than $1 million in police overtime, I wrote about that @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...ions-save.html

I covered a lot of good news about the police department in April. However, it's closure rate wasn't one of them.
    Those are the reasons why I thought that Chief Evans was more effective in reducing crime in Detroit. If businessman Bing untie the hands of the police and let them do it their way many of the neighborhoods would see a reduction in crime.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    Yeah, the homicide unit boosted its closure rate. DPD's closure rate [[as in homicide + everything else) is still below average.

Thanks for reading my blog though.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Those are the reasons why I thought that Chief Evans was more effective in reducing crime in Detroit. If businessman Bing untie the hands of the police and let them do it their way many of the neighborhoods would see a reduction in crime.
    Congrats! You just became the 1 millionth person to make such an argument.

Unfortunately, Mayor Bing doesn't seem to be listening.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Tigers win the World Series. Lions win the superbowl. Pistons win the NBA finals. Charles Pugh get in touch with reality. Dave Bing resigns. Kwame gets his "All Kwame, all of the time reality show.
    You do realize that if Dave Bing were to resign... that Charles Pugh would be acting mayor, don't you??

And that the city would have to schedule another midterm mayoral race that the city can't afford....

I never believed anything Evans had to say or claim.
    I have no proof, just my gut. I thought he was a braggert and a self promoter ala Kwame. Evans hooking up with that female cop lowered my opinion even more. He was all about himself. As for the figures, anything can be manipulated .

Sounds like you are going to have to move to Sterling Heights if you want those sort of things.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    I never believed anything Evans had to say or claim.
    I have no proof, just my gut. I thought he was a braggert and a self promoter ala Kwame. Evans hooking up with that female cop lowered my opinion even more. He was all about himself. As for the figures, anything can be manipulated .
    Chief Evans did do a decent about self-promotion. In fact, I suspect that, more than anything, that was the real reason why he was replaced as chief.

However, in the immortal words of Dizzy Dean, "It ain't bragging if you can do it."

And Chief Evans did it.

When he talked about the fact that DPD had more than doubled it drug seizures, he showed everyone the drugs, guns, and cash that his officers had seized.

When he talked about improving 9-1-1 response times, he invited everyone into the 9-1-1 call center so they could see things happen for themselves.

Was there some showmanship involved? Absolutely.

But Chief Evans got the job done.

Chief Goodbee has, to his credit, kept things from reverting back to the way things were in the pre-Evans days. However, he hasn't moved the ball forward very much.

The one thing that he does do is praise Mayor Bing and Saul Green at every chance he can get, which is something that Chief Evans never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Sounds like you are going to have to move to Sterling Heights if you want those sort of things.
    Well, that may explain why so many of Mayor Bing's appointees live in the suburbs.

Fnemecek, I think you need to run for office if you haven't already. It's people like you that the powers that be need to to listen to these days...