Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Edgewater thread reminded me of Crystal Pools - Anyone else?

Out on Greenfield Rd near 8 Mile RD. Me and my pals from the Grand River/Greenfield area used to hitchhike up Greenfield with our towels and bathing suits.

Anyone else on here remember?

My cousins and I would take the bus from 8 mile and Van dyke to the pool. It's all, fond memories. This would have been around the early 50's.

White building[[s), nw corner 8 & Greenfield?

Northeast corner of 8 and Greenfield. Remember the 30-foot high diving board.

littlebuddy Guest

Was there a swimming pool on Greenfield, between Tireman and Joy, right next to a railroad track in Dearborn I think.

Default Crystal Pools

I sure do remember Crystal Pool, my friend Marion Hurst was Jewish and Jews were not allowed. Her mother took us swimming and said they were french or something and after that introduction to the pool, I swam there for years. I personally am not Jewish. I lived in an apartment on Livernois and loved getting out of the hot apartment and into the wonderful Crystal pool.

I remember the place, but never went swimming there. Didn't this place eventually close because the owners refused to integrate?

Attachment 8203
    DTE aerial

I grew up between Greenfield and Southfield, 7 and 8 Mile [[Immaculate Heart of Mary neighborhood). I spent many many days at Crystal Pool. I recall that one had to purchase a membership card to be allowed entry to the pool. I faintly remember my mother telling that I couldn't go to the pool one warm day because there was a demonstration at the pool protesting the discriminatory membership policy.