Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Farrar Street?

Default Farrar Street?

Anyone ever hear of it? Silas Farmer says it was near Monroe, and I know the hotel was near the library ... Could Farrar Street have been renamed Farmer sometime in the early 1900s?

Who is Silas Farmer?

How did he 'say' this?!

Silas Farmer authored History of Detroit and Wayne County and Michigan. Both Farrar and Farmer are mentioned on that page.

On my 1880's map of downtown, Farrar seems to begin [[or end) at Grand River and moving SE, it crosses Gratiot and Monroe then ending [[or beginning) at what is now the intersection of Randolpf and Lafayette. The section between Grand River and Gratiot is now Library Street. The remainder of Farrar seems to now be vacated.

Map of the area 1889: http://img411.imageshack.us/i/99540142.jpg/

This is also interesting...

C.M. Burton's "List of Streets in Detroit, The Names of Which Have Been Changed" [[1891) lists the following

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7112/55453747.jpg

It seems that Bates Street was also changed to Barclay Place at that time.

How long were these streets called "Barclay Place?"

My assumption would be that Barclay Place was named for Commodore Robert Heriot Barclay, commander of the British squadron in the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. "A one-armed Scotish hero... a man of superior skill and unquestioned bravery." [[Landmarks of Detroit, 1898, Ross, Catlin.)
    Last edited by jtf1972; December-26-10 at 03:03 AM.