Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Buena Sala Apartments [Update: Destroyed by Fire on Sat. AND immediately razed]

I noticed on e-bay that someone is trying to sell the Buena Sala Apartments at 13100 La Salle Blvd for $7,600 free and clear. The architecture is amazing. The ad says many apartment buildings around it look near fully occupied. I don't know if it's a great rental area like the ad says, but I'm curious.as to what's the story behind why it got closed down?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETROIT-MICHIGAN...item41556f375c

http://detroityes.com/webisodes/2006...tRuins/016.htm

I pass by this place all the time!

It looks like the owner's space is the lower left...with two great balconies...and they built the rest to pay for their lifestyle!

That neighborhood can be rough...but there is good density and some truly solid people who've held on through some really tough times.

I'd say if you have the resources, it might be doable. Make a shuttle down to Wayne State, and you will have tenants waiting in a line to sign.

The windows are all gone, and you can bet it'll need all new wiring and plumbing. I don't have a clue how the roof is.

Good luck.

There must be an architectural twin across Linwood and south a half mile. That one doesn't have the side balconies...

After looking it up on googlemaps, I realized I have gone by this one, too...but it is NOT the building I thought it was.

This one is in a slightly worse neighborhood.
    Last edited by Gannon; December-25-10 at 06:35 PM.

Found it!

Go to Lawton and Elmhurst. Same architect, no doubt.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,143.72,,0,5

TheBuena-Sala

Many of the tenants' names sound Jewish.

Is it odd that this is the second Detroit apartment building for sale on E-Bay over that last several months? Does anyone know if they're legit? Is there anything happening from a legal or taxation perspective that could be prompting these sales?

yeah, I'd like to know how these ebay sales shake out in the end. Anyone bought property on ebay before?

Default Laredo

The building at Elmhurst and Lawton is the Laredo Apartments. I don't know the name of the architect of either, but both are among a number of Moorish/Spanish/Art Deco buildings on the Near Northwest Side.

It was a large Jewish community back in the day.....
    Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Many of the tenants' names sound Jewish.

I've driven by this building many times... area is sorta 'iffy', as there are many abandoned properties and empty lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

TheBuena-Sala

Include in that shuttle ride a trip to a decent grocery store and dry cleaners as there are neither in that area. Such is repeated thruought the city, but particularily in that area...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I pass by this place all the time!

It looks like the owner's space is the lower left...with two great balconies...and they built the rest to pay for their lifestyle!

That neighborhood can be rough...but there is good density and some truly solid people who've held on through some really tough times.

I'd say if you have the resources, it might be doable. Make a shuttle down to Wayne State, and you will have tenants waiting in a line to sign.

The windows are all gone, and you can bet it'll need all new wiring and plumbing. I don't have a clue how the roof is.

Good luck.

That Atlas market on Davison isn't THAT bad...and it is a four-block walk from the building in question.

The one I mentioned further south is in an oasis-free zone, though, for sure.

I drove Buddy down to the store on Joy Road just west of Dexter, and that one didn't look great from the outside...but they were damn busy. He seemed happy with them. I wouldn't have walked to it from is house, just north of Chicago off Linwood, though.

Don't know about the dry-cleaners...that one is out of my basic requirements for living. I can only wear natural fibers, and the suits don't get enough daily use for anything but the occasional visit to 'em.

I always wondered why apartment landlords didn't have some collective vehicle that the tenants could rent...not unlike a personal cabbie on-call. Heck, do it right...you've got ten built-in clients...and just like a corner bar, those regulars can pay the bills!

But then again...I wouldn't be your average land'lord'. Most just want to take their profits with as little expense and effort possible. It's the American way, right?! LOL

The American way gave us the Detroit we have today.

What a beautiful building, nothing better than elaborate brick construction.
    Sadly from the pictures we see there is no roof, mostly no windows and unmaintained masonry, looks to haven been empty for quite some times and in summary there is nothing left.

Same seller [[Member id bboy5900) as the last ebay listing and same quitclaim deed.

When they tear building like that down around here they save alot of the bricks, palletize them and resell them, do they do that in Detroit or does it all get junked ?

Doggey Gannon, it can't be said you are just a distant 'observer'! For sho' you're in the trenches if you're interacting with Davison and Dexter etc. I grew up near there and try to avoid Dexter, Tuxedo and Linwood when all possible, now.

My dad used to call it 'hang-mans gap' back in the 80's, buy it was once beautiful and the architecture bears that out. I was once thinking of living on Fullerton which has some of the most distinct, spacious brick beautifully appointed two family flats you can find in that area.

I had a lovely exchange with the manager at Atlas about 5 years re. pricing, and quality of their products. He basically told me to hit the road which was fine with me. The matter of fact 'your a captive audience to take it' attitude was a bit much. I voted with me feet.

If I have to shop in the city for groceries I do so closer to WSU, even though the prices are higher. And yeah I need a dry cleaner for some of my clothes. There's one down on Davison near Woodrow Wilson [[Detroit Repretory area), but I've never used it.

Yes, a collective apartment shuttle would be great! It could help people get around and not feel so trapped and limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That Atlas market on Davison isn't THAT bad...and it is a four-block walk from the building in question.

The one I mentioned further south is in an oasis-free zone, though, for sure.

I drove Buddy down to the store on Joy Road just west of Dexter, and that one didn't look great from the outside...but they were damn busy. He seemed happy with them. I wouldn't have walked to it from is house, just north of Chicago off Linwood, though.

Don't know about the dry-cleaners...that one is out of my basic requirements for living. I can only wear natural fibers, and the suits don't get enough daily use for anything but the occasional visit to 'em.

I always wondered why apartment landlords didn't have some collective vehicle that the tenants could rent...not unlike a personal cabbie on-call. Heck, do it right...you've got ten built-in clients...and just like a corner bar, those regulars can pay the bills!

But then again...I wouldn't be your average land'lord'. Most just want to take their profits with as little expense and effort possible. It's the American way, right?! LOL

The American way gave us the Detroit we have today.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-26-10 at 11:12 AM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Sadly from the pictures we see there is no roof, mostly no windows and unmaintained masonry, looks to haven been empty for quite some times and in summary there is nothing left.

Same seller [[Member id bboy5900) as the last ebay listing and same quitclaim deed.

When they tear building like that down around here they save alot of the bricks, palletize them and resell them, do they do that in Detroit or does it all get junked ?
    The only negative comment the seller has is from a buyer talking about buying property. All of the "positive comments" are generic, canned comments regarding products and services, which this ID does not appear to sell. A quit claim deed means absolutely nothing.

This seller seems a bit iffy, and tacky at best. They have a recent negative on December 12 regarding a supposed fraudulent property sale. That'd be a flag for me... especially with so much money involved. Stupid avatar does not suggest good business not that an avatar mean that much, but still...

Nothing left? Just because there's no heating system [[with the rads taken) doesn't mean nothing's left. And, I don't see a picture of no roof. There may be a leak, but I suspect it's still there. The masonry looks fine. I don't see any caving in of brickwork like I saw with the Book Cadillac before rehab and the vendor even states that the building is structurally sound in the ad.

A couple other positives I noticed were in the areas where the plaster walls were removed, I saw armoured cable running through the walls to the electrical and light boxes, not knob and tube wiring. It's grounded. The wiring may pass, which may otherwise have been a big expense. Another thing I noticed was the telephone dialer intercom in the lobby, which seems to me that it wasn't empty for a very long time.

I think it's worth saving. If I had access to the kind of money needed for rehabbing and carrying costs, I'd do it myself and get it rented or sold off as condos.

Default Similar construction at 943 Alter rd south of Jeff

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Love that building.

Ive often wondered about the risk and success of buying property from ebay. There is a CHurch in Ohio that gets relisted every couple of months by a seller from Cali. Really makes me wonder. Many others i see relisted and relisted over and over. Is it a real sale or are there really that many people that back out/flake on the sale?

P.S. its nothing new to see apartments and houses in detroit over at least the last few years. I have seen no significant increase of Detroit properties. Its just being discussed more here than usual

Personally, I'd contact the city to find out who owns the property then contact them directly from there. Buying property like this over ebay seems so shady.

As for the building itself, obviously an incredible building. Hopefully it sees a second life. It will take well over a million to repair this building.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Nothing left? Just because there's no heating system [[with the rads taken) doesn't mean nothing's left. And, I don't see a picture of no roof. There may be a leak, but I suspect it's still there. The masonry looks fine. I don't see any caving in of brickwork like I saw with the Book Cadillac before rehab and the vendor even states that the building is structurally sound in the ad.

A couple other positives I noticed were in the areas where the plaster walls were removed, I saw armoured cable running through the walls to the electrical and light boxes, not knob and tube wiring. It's grounded. The wiring may pass, which may otherwise have been a big expense. Another thing I noticed was the telephone dialer intercom in the lobby, which seems to me that it wasn't empty for a very long time.

I think it's worth saving. If I had access to the kind of money needed for rehabbing and carrying costs, I'd do it myself and get it rented or sold off as condos.
    You are aware that the condo market died a couple of years ago- right? Even in the best suburban areas they're selling at huge discounts.

I don't think you would have investors lining up around the block to finance your plan.

It's definitely beautiful 1920's construction. To recreate that building today would probablly be impossible, I don't think you could find the artisans to do that type of work. In it's current state and location I can't see any value there what so ever, unless somebody could dream up some elaborate tax dodge. If that building were offered to me for free, I would absolutely not accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You are aware that the condo market died a couple of years ago- right? Even in the best suburban areas they're selling at huge discounts.

I don't think you would have investors lining up around the block to finance your plan.
    I'd finance this in a heartbeat. If you rent the units at $500.00 a month, this building pays the $9,088.00 purchase price, repair and renovation costs, within a few years. The scariest thing with this is dealing with the City of Detroit's beauracracy. If a developer has the patience and capital to deal with that, they'll be fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast