Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit piano bars

Are there any piano bars around the metro area like there used to be, or memories of favorite ones.
    I remember seeing this woman at The Old Place in Grosse Pointe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA7uTlOOsU

You had the Baby Grand on Charlevoix.
    Dex Walters on Houston-Whittier

Baby Grand on Charlevoix, Pinkey's and Little Harry's on Jefferson near Belle Isle, Potchartrain Hotel 1st floor level bar.

Chrck out Dylan's [[formerly Tom's Oyster Bar) on Mack east of Alter. If Marty is behind the keyboard, you are in for treat. Do not forget to feed the tip jar.

The Rhinocerous, was located close to the Soup Kitchen. Earl Van Ryper and, later, Alma Smith held forth. Really hot waitresses and excellent jazz.
    Also Ernie Swan and the Pontch. I believe that was the longest running piano gig in Det - over thirty years as I recall. Baker's started life as a "piano lounge" with Fats Waller protege Pat Flowers at the ivories...1940-56. The Gnome featured Harold & Ray Mckinney for years and years but it was just a restaurant.

Dex Walters was on Morang.

I think it said "Don at the piano" on the wall there.

The Dakota Inn-Rathskeller has a great piano player and the sing along is a lot of fun too!

Default Adams Palms Bar across from DAC 1959-60

Tiny Akins at the Piano bar, Peaches and Mildred tending bar.. Just a corner bar with great entertainment in Black Bottom.

Default Pinky's

Remember Jimmy Jewhurst who played piano for years at Pinky's. He was fun!

Is the old Pinky's edifice still standing?

Pinky's was a great last stop on the trek home from downtown venues back to GP. I have/had two friends, one who would play the piano and the other would sing whenever they were in there together. The regular piano player would just step aside and let them go.

And no, Pinky's is long gone.

Cafe D'Mango's downtown has a piano player on Friday and Saturday nights.

Dylan's on Mack in Grosse Pointe Park... Marty's usually there in his tux holding it down. Cliff Bell's also has some piano-centric nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    Cafe D'Mango's downtown has a piano player on Friday and Saturday nights.
    Does anyone know if D'Mongo's is going to be open tomorrow, New Year's Eve?

9mile&seneca Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBO3wib_aY8 Oh to be able to walk into a nice civilized dimly lit lounge and listen to this while having a Beefeater Mart...

citylover Guest

Great selection the world needs more piano like this

Not quite Detroit but Beau Jack's near 15 & Telegraph. Cool early 70s vibe in there.

Boodles at 11 mile and 75 does the piano bar thing quite well.

The place is a converted Clock and features table-side cooking. If you aren't going to take a cholestrol test anytme soon, I suggest you go for the Steak Diane.