Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fort and Livernois ruins demolished

The ruins off Livernois, south of Fort are almost entirely demolished now. Does anyone have old pictures of the location? About a month ago I saw a body get pulled out of the building in a burnt car. Here are some pictures of it from around that time. Demolition pictures are coming later.

That was the old Sybill Inc. property. They recycled and cleaned a lot of nasty industrial waste, till they went bankrupt. The neighbors were glad they closed down, I guess the pollution was terrible. Hopefully, once the demo is over and remediation is complete, they can market the site for a new industrial use...the direct access to an active terminal rail line switched by two rail companies could really be pushed to lure a new business in. Thanks for the photos.

That's a lot of scrap metal! No one would miss that. I am a bit concerrned about the hazards that are left in the ground...

I've never taken any photos there, but I drive down there a couple of times a year when I visit Fort Wayne. There are a lot of industrial graveyards in that area that need to be torn down and cleared away.

Yikes, this stuff has needed to come down a long time. More crimes could have been committed in that pile of mess than has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    The ruins off Livernois, south of Fort are almost entirely demolished now. Does anyone have old pictures of the location? About a month ago I saw a body get pulled out of the building in a burnt car. Here are some pictures of it from around that time. Demolition pictures are coming later.

I'm glad it was demolished. People coming to town for events at Historic Fort Wayne had to drive by that hideous eyesore.

I've always wondered about this property. I've snapped a few photos from the street last time I passed by there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I'm glad it was demolished. People coming to town for events at Historic Fort Wayne had to drive by that hideous eyesore.
    I used to drive down to look at that abandoned factory, but it was a shame it stood a stone's throw from the eyesore that is Fort Wayne.

This is the end of Rust Belt Detroit.

Upset that I never got to shoot that one, though it looks a little to barren for my tastes...