Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Christmas Tree Burn 2011

The annual Christmas Tree Burn, will be Jan 8 2011 @ 8:30pm.
    It's at the foot of Alter rd.
    Last year we had about 200 trees.
    About 250 people showed up.
    Bring your tree!
    There was even a band there last year!

lilpup Guest

such a waste of good mulch

Is this Detroit's answer to that annual Nevada fire festival? What's that event called, X-man fire or some such name? This Christmas tree bonfire is held in the park at the foot of Alter Rd. ? How do the tight asses in city hall go with it? What happened to the Positively Fourth Street Festival? No more. I remember the beat up cars as art with nature gas line flaming in them around '02.

such a waste of good mulch

Yeah, get a couple of shredders from the city or a tree company.

Leave the matches at home.

A: I think you are referring to the Burning Man Festival, in the Nevada desert. Quite a sight!
    I, too, believe that producing mulch might be a better way to dispose of the trees. When I grew up, the trees were used by youngsters to make "forts", before being picked up by municipal trash services. They were likely simply dumped into landfills.

If people were really concerned about the impact of a Christmas tree, they wouldn't put one up to begin with.

I haven't for years but that's because my old dog thought he was getting indoor privileges.

On the other hand, I think it's great when anybody comes up with a way to get people together. Enjoy the burn. Sounds like a great tradition to build on.

Mulch isnt nearly as much fun as fire, also the shredder would probably drown out the band playing.

Ive never been but its sounds fun. I heard the Goatyard Boatyard Tugboat party was cancelled this year so Im looking for another good excuse to "pull a cork" with some friends. Burnin shit is always a good time too, what could be more fun than 200 Christmas trees, a bunch of booze and a pack of matches.

If people were really concerned about the impact of a Christmas tree, they wouldn't put one up to begin with.
    I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    What is the "impact of a Christmas tree"? I'm almost afraid to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Local MI tree farmer making a living in some unsustainable burg in the thumb ? Or maybe its the local yocal who sold it and doubled his money ?
    We should all be using fake wal*mart trees made in china by 9 years olds........

With that said I used a fake Christmas tree for the first time this year mainly so our 4 year old daughter and us could have the tree up from thanksgiving to the near year instead of getting it Christmas weekend and having it 10 days. We got it free from my mother in law.
    The tree burning thing is kind of weird to me and I cant say I have ever heard of such a thing in my 31 years, lot of fascination with fire over there kinda seems like.

I'd have a real tree if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Bring your tree!
    Thanks pgn, should be a fun night!

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I'd have a real tree if I could.
    Im sure your tree would burn.

Sure it would too, Then I would have to buy one next year, So I guess mine still is ineligible for the party. Bout ready to toss this keyboard into the fire. It might be time.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Bring your tree!
    Hey P,
    Thanks for sharing this, Miss D and I had a great time! Thanks for the beer too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHmDZmMjz94
    Russix

I guess this is one fire we don't have to worry about the Detroit Fire Department not showing up for.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; January-09-11 at 03:41 PM.

Russix-you are welcome.glad you attended.
    I can't believe DFD showed up!

18. Default

Was that DFD for sure, not another municipality?

That was so much fun! Does this happen on the first non-New Years Saturday every year? Maybe next year I can borrow a truck and collect some of the trees illegally dumped around the East Side before heading over.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by claireianthelibrarian View Post
    Was that DFD for sure, not another municipality?

That was so much fun! Does this happen on the first non-New Years Saturday every year? Maybe next year I can borrow a truck and collect some of the trees illegally dumped around the East Side before heading over.
    I for one am glad DFD showed. That tells me that the city may have some hope.

If one were to listen to the unlawful behavior listed on this board, you'd think that Detroit was filled with hipster doochnozzles with no sensibility for the rule of law, or any burning ordinances that may be on the books.

Try burning these in your front yard, guys. You can look for a better excuse for a party elsewhere.

uh... is this a non-residential area where the mass-burning will take place?

The DFD showed up , but,DFD was already there.they are a couple retirees, that put the fire on.
    There is no way, anything can catch on fire.
    It's a huge field. Usually GPPP shows up, but this year they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Mulch isnt nearly as much fun as fire, also the shredder would probably drown out the band playing.

Ive never been but its sounds fun. I heard the Goatyard Boatyard Tugboat party was cancelled this year so Im looking for another good excuse to "pull a cork" with some friends. Burnin shit is always a good time too, what could be more fun than 200 Christmas trees, a bunch of booze and a pack of matches.
    Cool. We'll do this at your place then next year?

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Depends how fast it is traveling.

The Statue of Liberty.

The tree burn has been a tradition for years. Had a tree to donate to the cause but delivery there didn't work out. Have never attended but approve of pagan ceremonies that give people a passive outlet for repressed emotions. Also highly recommend the illegal fireworks display at Ballduck Park, that, I do attend.

Second thought, planning on putting in a fire pit in my yard. Got the spec on legalities for safety purposes. Good wine, good friends, safe fire, sounds good to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast