Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi Faygoredpop,

Thank you very much for research. Sometimes, I don’t understand very well. But I try to progress.
    I will write that I understand.
    You found a William Murphy who could be the number 18. But He moved in Indiana and his birth date is not the same that this number 18. It is perhaps a new clue [[a new William Murphy).

Cordially and more soon.

Mary

Regarding William J. Murphy # 18, it appears to me that we have probably combined information about two different men with the same first and last names who were born three days apart.

Unless we find conflicting information, we will assume that William J. Murphy #18 is the man who was born on 16 April 1895 and died on 10 Dec 1959, since the birth date in the Nationwide Gravesite Locator matches that given on the draft registration card and the Nationwide Gravesite Locator tells us that he was a WW I veteran. The fact that he is buried in this National Cemetery for veterans [map] in an adjacent state does not necessarily mean that he ever lived in that state.

We will also want to investigate to see if there is more information about a William Murphy who [[according to the Social Security Death Index) was born on 19 April 1895 and died in Nov 1970. I will identify him as William Murphy #19 on the summary page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

En ce qui concerne William J. Murphy # 18, il me semble que nous avons probablement information combinée de deux hommes différents avec les mêmes noms et prénoms qui sont nés trois jours.

A moins que l'on trouve des informations, nous supposerons que William J. Murphy # 18 est l'homme qui est né le 16 avril 1895 et décédé le 10 décembre 1959, depuis la date de naissance dans la tombe Nationwide Locator matches donné que sur le projet de carte d'enregistrement et la tombe Nationwide Locator nous dit qu'il était un ancien combattant de la Première Guerre mondiale. Le fait qu'il est enterré dans ce cimetière national des anciens combattants [carte], dans un Etat voisin ne signifie pas nécessairement qu'il a toujours vécu dans cet État.

Nous voulons aussi étudier pour voir si il n'y a plus d'informations sur un William Murphy, qui [[en fonction de la Social Security Death Index) est né le 19 avril 1895 et est décédé en novembre 1970. Je l'identifier comme William Murphy # 19 sur la page de résumé.

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for updating the summary page of the William Murphy[[s).
    I believe that we have to wait to have more information for this Murphy. Don’t you believe ?
    Thank you again for your help.

Cordially.

Mary

Hi Lferg and every body,

I received a message of Raphls Connors [[Murphy Family Genealogy Forum)

Contact the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Google the name to find its website. Download an information request form. Complete the form and send it with the requisite payment to the address specified.

What do I do ?

Thank you for your answers.

More soon.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Mikeg has already sent a form for William Murphy #1, and possibly WM #18. Let's hope a descendant of a William Murphy in Detroit sees your post on Genforum and can offer more information.

I believe that we have to wait to have more information for this Murphy. Don’t you believe ?
    I am still waiting for a reply to the second inquiry I sent about the military records of William Murphy # 1. All of my requests have all been sent to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO. I would like to see the results for # 1 before we submit a SF-180 for # 18.

Since we know that # 18 is buried in a Department of Veterans Affairs [[VA) military cemetery, it is possible that a 1959 document might have still been at the VA when the 1973 National Archives fire happened. Hopefully the 1959 document would contain his Army Division number. Submitting an SF-180 might tell us if they can find that and any other information about # 18. We must learn his Army Division number and then we could determine [[from other sources, if necessary) whether his Army Division was in France in late 1918.

Je suis toujours en attente d'une réponse Ã[ la deuxième enquête, j'ai envoyé sur les dossiers militaires de William Murphy # 1. Toutes mes demandes ont été envoyées Ã[ la National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO. Je voudrais voir les résultats de # 1 avant de nous soumettre un SF-180 pour le # 18.

Puisque nous savons que le # 18 est enterré dans un département des Affaires des anciens combattants [[VA) cimetière militaire, il est possible que le document de 1959 pourrait avoir toujours été Ã[ la VA de 1973 lorsque les Archives nationales d'incendie s'est produit. Il faut espérer que le document devrait contenir 1959 sa division de l'armée nombre. Soumettre un SF-180 pourrait-il nous dire si elles peuvent trouver et que d'autres informations sur le # 18. Nous devons tirer les leçons de son nombre et la division de l'armée, alors nous pourrions déterminer [[provenant d'autres sources, si nécessaire), si sa division de l'armée a été en France Ã[ la fin 1918.
    Last edited by Mikeg; May-08-09 at 08:30 AM.

Mike and Lferg,

Thank you for answers.
    I posted a answer to Raphl. I tried to explain that you have done. And I gave this address of this forum.
    Cordially.

Mary

bump - still waiting for a reply from St. Louis, MO

Mike,

Thank you very much for your help , your tenacity and your "waiting".

All the best and cordially to everyone.

Mary

Just wanted to bump the thread .

I too just wanted to bump the thread.

Thank you very much Lferg and Faygoredpop.
    I hope to read, soon, a new message concerning William Murphy.
    But even if there are not new message, I am happy to read you.
    All the best.
    Mary

Just wanted to bump the thread again

Wanted to bump the thread again. Any news on William Murphy #1 from the inquiry?

Sorry, I've not gotten any more feedback from the National Personnel Records Center in response to the "Questionnaire About Military Service" [[Form 13075) I submitted for William Murphy # 1. It is hard to say if that is a good or a bad thing, but rather than wait any longer, I think I will submit a Standard Form 180 for William Murphy #18 and get the process started on him.

Hi,
    Thank very much to DTCtyGrl and Mike.
    You have not forgotten my grandfather "William Murphy".
    More soon.
    Best wishes.
    Mary

I received this response today from the National Personnel Records Center informing me that their search for the military personnel files of William Murphy [[#1) was unsuccessful. They conclude that his file was destroyed in the 12 July 1973 fire.

However, they informed me that they were able to find his Final Pay Voucher and that a photocopy may be ordered for a $20.00 reproduction fee. But after reading their enclosed "Final Pay Voucher Fact Sheet", it appears that this document would not contain any information that would be useful for our search.

I have updated the Summary Page with this new information. Rather than expending any more effort on William Murphy #1 at this time, I will submit a SF-180 for William J. Murphy #18 as soon as I can.

----------------------------------------

J'ai reçu cette réponse aujourd'hui de la National Personnel Records Center m'informant que la recherche de fichiers du personnel militaire de William Murphy [[# 1) a échoué. Ils concluent que son dossier a été détruit dans les 12 Juillet 1973 le feu.

Toutefois, ils m'ont informé qu'ils étaient en mesure de trouver son dernier salaire et que les chèques d'une photocopie mai être commandés 20,00 $US pour une taxe de reproduction. Après la lecture de leur joint "Final salariale Bon Fact Sheet", il semble que ce document ne contient aucune information qui serait utile pour notre recherche.

Voici le résumé, mis Ã[ jour la page. Plutôt que de dépenser plus d'efforts sur William Murphy # 1 Ã[ ce moment-lÃ[, je vais présenter un SF-180 pour William J. Murphy # 18 dès que je le peux.

Curiosity got the better of me so I ordered William Murphy # 1's Final Pay Voucher. It came today and while it doesn't shed any new light on his overseas locations, it does confirm that he was assigned to the 107th Engineers of the US Army's 32nd Infantry Division. It also indicates that:

• his hometown was Larium, Michigan when he joined the Army on 20 September 1917
    • his final rank was Corporal
    • he returned to the US on 18 May 1919
    • his pay for the period 1-27 May 1919 was $95.28
    • he was mustered out of the Army at Camp Custer [[near Battle Creek, Michigan) on 27 May 1919
    • he was also given $28.20 travel pay to return home.

I will submit a SF-180 for William J. Murphy #18 as soon as I can find a block of free time

------------------------------

Curiosité obtenu le meilleur de moi pour que je classés William Murphy # 1's Final Pay Bon. Il est venu aujourd'hui et il ne doit pas jeter une nouvelle lumière sur ses emplacements Ã[ l'étranger, mais il confirme qu'il a été affecté Ã[ la 107e ingénieurs de l'armée américaine, la 32ème Division d'infanterie. Il indique également que:

• Sa ville natale a été Larium, au Michigan, où il rejoint l'armée le 20 Septembre 1917
    • De son classement final est le Caporal
    • Il est retourné aux États-Unis le 18 Mai 1919
    • Son salaire pour la période du 1-27 Mai 1919 était de $95,28
    • il a été libéré de l'armée Ã[ Camp Custer [[près de Battle Creek, Michigan) le 27 Mai 1919
    • Il a également été donnée Voyage payer $28,20 de rentrer chez eux.

Je vais présenter un SF-180 pour William J. Murphy # 18 dès que je peux trouver un bloc de temps libre

Dear Mike,
    Thank you very much for your wonderful work.
    I think " William Murphy" number one could be, perhaps, my grandfather. But we can not know if he was at Limoges in November 1918.
    Thank you very much one more time.
    Best wishes.
    Mary

I found this site on Google which offers information about William's [[#1) division.

http://www.32nd-division.org/history/ww1/32-ww1a.html
    Last edited by Lferg; September-05-09 at 11:09 AM.

Thank you very much Lferg for your message and the link of 32nd division.
    Two minutes ago, I went on this site, but I found nothing about William Murphy [[#1).
    How can I find this William Murphy on this site?
    Thank you very much once again.
    Best wishes.
    Mary

Any more word on the William Murphy research?

I contacted the New Albany National Cemetery to see what additional information they might have about William J. Murphy #18. The only useful information they could provide was the fact that he served in the "Ordnance Department" of the U.S. Army.

Adding that fact to the other information we have collected about him, I filled out his SF-180 Request form and mailed it today to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. I have also updated the Summary Page.

Each American Expeditionary Force [[AEF) Infantry Division sent to France during World War One consisted of two Infantry Brigades plus some non-combat support groups that were attached to the Brigades. The US Army Ordnance Department attached 20 soldiers to each Infantry Brigade. The total number of officers and men in each Infantry Division was about 16,700 [source].

Ordnance Department soldiers were also attached to other types of US Army units during World War One:

• 49 soldiers per Field Artillery Brigade
    • 571 soldiers in the AEF Army Air Service

Since Ordnance Dept. soldiers were non-combatants, it is possible they had more opportunities than combat soldiers to fraternize with the local French population over an extended period of time.

I will report back when I get a response from the National Personnel Records Center.

------------------------------------------

J'ai communiqué avec le New Albany cimetière national de consulter les renseignements supplémentaires qu'ils pourraient avoir sur William J. Murphy # 18. La seule information utile qu'ils pourraient apporter, c'est le fait qu'il a servi dans le «Ordnance Department» de l'armée américaine.

Ajout de ce fait aux autres informations que nous avons recueillis sur lui, j'ai rempli son SF-180 Formulaire de demande et envoyée aujourd'hui Ã[ la National Personnel Records Center, Ã[ St. Louis, MO. J'ai aussi modifié la page sommaire.

Chaque American Expeditionary Force [[AEF) Division d'infanterie envoyée en France pendant la Première Guerre mondiale se composait de deux brigades d'infanterie et quelques non-combattantes de groupes de soutien qui étaient attachés aux brigades. L'US Army Ordnance Department 20 soldats attachés Ã[ chaque brigade d'infanterie. Le nombre total des officiers et des hommes dans chaque division d'infanterie était d'environ 16700 [source].

Ordnance Department soldats ont également été reliés Ã[ d'autres types d'unités de l'armée américaine pendant la Première Guerre mondiale:

• 49 soldats par brigade d'artillerie de campagne
    • 571 soldats en service AEF Armée de l'Air

Depuis Ordnance Dept soldats étaient des non-combattants, il est possible qu'ils avaient plus de possibilités que de soldats de combat Ã[ fraterniser avec la population locale française, sur une période de temps prolongée.

Je serai de retour déclaration lorsque je obtenir une réponse auprès de la National Personnel Records Center.

Default William Murphy number 18

Hi Mike,
    I am very happy to read you.
    I hope that we will have news of William Murphy number 18, at soon.
    Thank you very much.
    Best wishes.
    Mary

I have received a form letter response from the Military Personnel Records section of the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO regarding the "SF-180" I submitted for William J. Murphy #18.

As with William Murphy #1, they indicate that his military personnel records were either damaged or destroyed in the July 1973 fire and they asked me to fill out and return this "NA Form 13075", which I have done.

Now we will have to sit back and wait again. In the meantime, I have found our William J. Murphy #18 in an on-line family tree and I have e-mailed the owner of that family tree to see if he has any more information about him, but I have not yet received a response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

J'ai reçu une lettre type de réponse de la National Personnel Records Center, Ã[ St. Louis, MO ce qui concerne la "SF-180" J'ai soumis pour William J. Murphy # 18.

Comme avec William Murphy # 1, ils indiquent que ses dossiers du personnel militaire ont été endommagés ou détruits dans l'incendie de 1973 Juillet et on m'a demandé de remplir et de retourner ce "NA Formulaire 13075", que j'ai fait.

Maintenant, il nous faudra s'asseoir et d'attendre Ã[ nouveau. En attendant, j'ai trouvé nos William J. Murphy # 18 dans un arbre généalogique en ligne et je l'ai envoyé par courriel le propriétaire de cet arbre pour voir s'il a des informations plus sur lui, mais je n'ai pas encore reçu une réponse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast