Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    eastjohn Guest

Default Time for Federal Troops

The violence in Detroit needs to stop now, not tomorrow, not after another blue ribbon committee meets.Bing along with the Governor need to announce a state of emergency in the city of Detroit and demand Federal Troops be brought in.Detroit is an American City. There is no execuse for Detroit to continue with daily murders, fires, bombings, rapes, burning bodies, and entire city blocks destroyed.The time for Federal Troops is NOW!

How many troops do you think we would need?

eastjohn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    How many troops do you think we would need?
    Taking a guess.. probably at least 30,000.

DetroitPole Guest

Okay, did we learn anything from the riots? Troops don't make good police officers. They're trained to be killing machines, not even-handed public servants.

Also, what are the implications? Is this martial law? Suspension of civil liberties? Are people supposed to be stopped, searched, detained at random?

You said "state of emergency." So what does that mean for me, as a law-abiding Detroiter? Am I going to get stopped at checkpoints on my way to work? Will the troops search my home without warrant? Is there a curfew? So I can't go out in the evening? I'm assuming my girlfriend can't cross town to spend time with me then.

Or are you proposing that the troops somehow be integrated into the police force[[again, they are not trained to be police officers)?

I don't disagree that the violence here is absolutely outrageous and we need some drastic measures, but I don't think that "federal troops" are going to do any good.

Show me a plan that addresses these concerns and you can count me in. If we're just ranting, then count me out.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; December-23-10 at 06:01 PM.

The sooner the better. Keep the border safe from marauding Windsorites!

Attachment 8131

eastjohn Guest

The city of Detroit has been lying about the crime rate. The number of arsons is more than double what the city officially reported. 70% of all homicides go unsolved.How long can this mayhem continue? Where is the demand for Federal Troops from the churches of Detroit? Why do Detroiters not demand a safe living environment?

eastjohn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Okay, did we learn anything from the riots? Troops don't make good police officers. They're trained to be killing machines, not even-handed public servants.

Also, what are the implications? Is this martial law? Suspension of civil liberties? Are people supposed to be stopped, searched, detained at random?

You said "state of emergency." So what does that mean for me, as a law-abiding Detroiter? Am I going to get stopped at checkpoints on my way to work? Will the troops search my home without warrant? Is there a curfew? So I can't go out in the evening? I'm assuming my girlfriend can't cross town to spend time with me then.

Or are you proposing that the troops somehow be integrated into the police force[[again, they are not trained to be police officers)?

Please explain this scenario to me before I go and make the assumption that you are not a thoughtful, intelligent person.
    Having armed Troops on the street will at least stop these random shootings and firebombings.Young armed men driving without valid plates and insurance should be pulled over and questioned at the least.The Detroit police department is overwhelmed. Only the Federal troops could give a sense of control to this mess.

Um....the Michigan National Guard would have to be called up first. And that ain't gonna happen.

Young armed men driving without valid plates and insurance should be pulled over and questioned at the least.

Surely you jest.

Aside from the silliness of the idea, it can't happen. Congress would never allow it.

And we don't need to put any more money in Cheney's pockets through supply deals with Halliburton.

eastjohn Guest

Amazing that an American city with 70% of ALL homicides go unsolved does not ask for help.And yes, the small thing, like no auto insurance, expired plates all lead to the bigger things. If Detroit cannot control this violence, send in Federal Troops.

eastjohn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    a 70% unsolved homicide rate would qualify as a serious public health emergency

maybe if we invaded Canada, they could invade us in return and then put some polite Mounties on the streets.

hey, ... it might work.

lilpup Guest

I would love to see Mounties on the streets, Canadian or otherwise.

There already are Mounties on the streets they are called whores...

30,000 federal troops is going to do no one any good. It will only raise tensions in this city.

Instead, Detroiters could demand that Pentagon and Defense Department programs to ensure safety and build schools in Iraq and Afghanistan be cut in order to provide for the people of Detroit, who are after all, American citizens.

Responding to this violence with a warlike mentality will only add to the social distance that allows the victimizer to attack the victim.

I say we need 30,000 federal works program jobs, not troops.

I'm sorry but that is just not going to work. As someone pointed out earlier, the troops are trained to kill bad guys not to pllay peacekeeper by standing around pretending that they're going to do.... exactly what? How is this going to happen? Under what authority are they going to mount armed raids on thugs? They will, of course, have to shoot to kill. Are you suggesting that aircraft be called in to bomb their houses? How about drone strikes on their cars? Mistakes will be made and innocent people will be killed by mistake. Is that acceptable? All of this and more happens in war. Is this what you propose? There's little doubt that the situation in Detroit seems to be out of control, but the citizens of Detroit need to take responsibility for this. The city needs to control itself

eastjohn Guest

Peeps, the jobs wont return until the violence stops. Stopping the violence is the first step in rebuilding Detroit. Does anyone object then to remaking STRESS?

Quote Originally Posted by eastjohn View Post
    a 70% unsolved homicide rate would qualify as a serious public health emergency
    Chicago has an unsolved homicide rate of 65%. Do they need the National Guard too?

The H1N1 outbreak was a public health emergency. Sanitary conditions after Katrina constituted a public health emergency. A high unsolved homicide rate is not a public health emergency.

361 reported murders in a population of 900,000+ is horrible, embarrassing, and scary, but fails the criteria for a public health emergency. An ineffective police force is not grounds for sending in military troops.

The consequences of a military intervention would be absolutely catastrophic. Nevermind the fact that it would spark a bloody street war that would make today look like a walk in paradise. Every front page in America is going to have pictures of National Guard tanks in front of the Renaissance center, or citizens up against walls being searched by Marines. Citizens and soldiers will needlessly die in far greater numbers than anything we're experiencing today. A lot of Detroiters haven't forgotten about 1967. Do you think they're going to welcome the Army with open arms?

There are options besides calling in the National Guard. If the DPD is corrupt an ineffective, the governor can disband the department, send in the State Police or drastically increase its presence. Citizens also have a right to form militias.
    Last edited by detroiturbex; December-23-10 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Excuse me...2/3's of the "troops" were MI-ARNG's, including the battalion I was in. If you think we were killing machines, I've got a bridge to sell you.

The guardsmen would've been quite content with staying home during that mess.

Why do you think the Federal Government is even capable of fixing a single one of Detroit's problems?

There's been decades of Federal oversight of the Detroit Water and Sewer Department and what has happened? The Detroit River got cleaner, but your drinking water didn't, all the while water and sewer rates went through the roof. So who benefited? Kilpatrick's pay-to-players - right under the nose of a Federal Judge.

How long has the Detroit Police Department been operating under the purview of the Federal Department of Justice and who has benefited? Just the Justice Department's person in charge who screwed the citizens of Detroit while getting screwed by the mayor.

As long as we continue to look to Washington DC to solve our problems, nothing will change.

eastjohn Guest

I like the militia idea. Just sitting around accepting the status quo is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by eastjohn View Post
    The city of Detroit has been lying about the crime rate. The number of arsons is more than double what the city officially reported. 70% of all homicides go unsolved.How long can this mayhem continue? Where is the demand for Federal Troops from the churches of Detroit? Why do Detroiters not demand a safe living environment?
    The key word here is Demand.

Detroiters as far as I can tell are not demanding enough. Not just in regard to security but everything else. State and Federal governments need to step in, but forget the National Guard and the Army. Why no talk of more police? Hiring more police via federal funding. Bring back troops from Afghanistan and put money in policing.

Just watching the local Channel 4 News this evening... seems that crime is down in Detroit over the last 6 months due to a number of factors... 1) local/county cooperation... 2) involving the US Attorney's office to give criminals tougher sentences... 3) more involvement with the neighborhoods... reduction in "don't snitch".

This might be my favorite thread of the year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast