Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Christmas Liquor Sales

Now that alcohol will be available at noon on Christmas Day, I'm curious to know how many DYes members might be making Christmas Day purchases. Personally, I'm not going to do it. It would eliminate one of my Christmas Eve morning traditions of which these 3 are standing line at Honeybaked for ham, standing in line at Calder's for egg nog, and standing line at Merchant Fine Wine for my Christmas spirits.

I guess it depends on if we run out of necessities like vodka [[for Bloody Marys) or cheap champagne [[for mimosas.) If we don't need to go out, we won't. Although we may need some wine later in the day...hmmm.

DetroitPole Guest

The way I look at it: Can't we just not shop one day out of the entire year?

I realize not everyone celebrates Christmas, but doesn't everyone deserve a day off? Aside from the essential services, such as police, fire, and healthcare, what can't wait?

And in 2010 America how many people even get holiday pay when they're forced to work on Christmas? I won't be spending Christmas with my brother, who I never see, who celebrates Christmas, who doesn't get holiday pay, because he has to work a dead-end job. What gives? This is the new America.

Rather than focus on the nomenclature of keeping "Christ in Christmas", I wish Christians would focus on battling this amoral materialism that has consumed Christmas and really our entire value system as Americans. In fact I wish all Americans would do that.

At least we can get all our Made in China Christmas decorations in September now, and buy booze on Christmas. It is truly the dawning of a new era.

I won't be buying booze or anything else on Christmas. Drinking, hell yes, but I can buy that stuff ahead of time.

This is one of those old "blue laws" that was way past needing to be abolished.And now the State can make $160 per license needed to sell liquor on Sunday after 7:00 am and on Christmas.For the people who like to tailgate before games and those restaurants that want to sell bloody mary cocktails on sunday morning it is a win-win situation.Not that the old law stopped people from being able to purchase alcohol on sunday morning and after 9:00 on Christmas eve to 7:00am the day after christmas but now they don't have to pay the extra"juice" for the luxury of doing so.The State of Michigan should have done this LONG ago,IMHO.

eastjohn Guest

Dont drink anymore. Switched to weed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    1) Freedom is precious.

2) Avoid following any sentence that contains the word 'just'

It was a silly law.

Our family always celebrates Christmas Eve, so the law won't affect us... but what if you're having a gathering of folks on Christmas Day, and you're low on Rum for your Egg Nog??

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post

I realize not everyone celebrates Christmas, but doesn't everyone deserve a day off? Aside from the essential services, such as police, fire, and healthcare, what can't wait?

And in 2010 America how many people even get holiday pay when they're forced to work on Christmas? I won't be spending Christmas with my brother, who I never see, who celebrates Christmas, who doesn't get holiday pay, because he has to work a dead-end job. What gives? This is the new America.

Rather than focus on the nomenclature of keeping "Christ in Christmas", I wish Christians would focus on battling this amoral materialism that has consumed Christmas and really our entire value system as Americans. In fact I wish all Americans would do that.

At least we can get all our Made in China Christmas decorations in September now, and buy booze on Christmas. It is truly the dawning of a new era.

I won't be buying booze or anything else on Christmas. Drinking, hell yes, but I can buy that stuff ahead of time.

I work for AAA - when someone calls in on Xmas day because their car broke down and they need a tow, should I tell them "Sorry, we're closed, DetroitPole is trying to save you from "amoral consumerism"?"

Live YOUR life, and let everyone else live theirs.

I'm just glad I don't have to go out of my way to stock up for beer and liquor the night before Christmas. It was an outdated law that should have been off the books decades ago.

Interestingly yesterday, I drove from Dearborn to the fam's gathering near Pontiac. I passed a number of liquor stores all of which were closed.

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Interestingly yesterday, I drove from Dearborn to the fam's gathering near Pontiac. I passed a number of liquor stores all of which were closed.
    LOL you must have not had to actually drive through Pontiac. I think I only saw one that wasn't open. There definitely wasnt a shortage of business either.

Quote Originally Posted by eastjohn View Post
    Dont drink anymore. Switched to weed.

Are the marijuana dispenseries open on Christmas?

If a store wants to be open on Christmas Day and they sell liquor, then they should be able to sell it the second that door opens. This is the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Are the marijuana dispensaries open on Christmas?
    If they want to be, they should be.