Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Eastern Market [[buying meat)

I'm down at EM almost every Saturday, but I've never bought any meat products. I'm going down tomorrow and need to know where I can get the best quality meat.

I'm looking for turkey and pork among a few other things.

Thanks for any help.

I always get my pork from J&M farms...very good stuff
    I am going down tomorrow as well, keeping my fingers crossed he is there.

edited to add link http://www.jandmfarm.com/

I buy ribs at Ronnie's and corned beef at Wigley's. Both are in the Gratiot Central Market.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neilr View Post
    i buy ribs at ronnie's and corned beef at wigley's. Both are in the gratiot central market.
    +1

. . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I'm down at EM almost every Saturday, but I've never bought any meat products. I'm going down tomorrow and need to know where I can get the best quality meat.

I'm looking for turkey and pork among a few other things.

Thanks for any help.
    You're in luck. I was just in Wigley's earlier today and saw a sale sign for turkey chops if you're interested. I picked up a few oxtails for soup there today too, so if you want some more esoteric cuts of meat- they have it there as well. Super friendly folks behind the counter that aren't shy about trimming down the meat [[and believe me, there's plenty of fat on oxtail) to suit your purposes either. So big thumbs up for Wigley's for a decent meat selection and huge expansive parking lot too.

I like the kebobs at Ronnie's. Pre-seasoned, and a good price.

Any stores there that sell a good quality salmon?

Stromberg2

You can check the store next to the wine shop and vivio's. I have bought shrimp and scallops from them a few times and it was good. They do have salmon.

Now the fish place in Gratiot central.....I'm not sure they even have salmon. They feature a nice selection of river, bottom feeding type fish though...

There are two Wigleys - one in Gratiot Central and the other
    further down Russell across from the Fire Station. I usually buy my meat at that market, but have found the Italian Sausage at R & J in Gratiot to be the best. Ronnie's in GC always has a nice selection of ribs, etc.

I've been to a couple of different places, but Eastern Market is the only place I can find some cuts of meat. If ever you can't find something at a local market, don't give up until you call the shops in Eastern Market. They can get just about anything.

Looking for some lobster tails for new years ...would anyone know of a place in eastern market ..how about the place named a few posted above next to the wine shop and vivios

I usually go to Gratiot Market, but I've never gotton a bad cut of meat anywhere I go down there. I guess there's something to be said about getting it fresh.

I buy my meats from the Gratiot Market when I am in the area. They are fresh without all of the cancer causing additives shot into them. How long had the Gratiot Central Market had been there? It would be nice if more neighborhoods in Detroit have an enclosed central market. It doesnt have to be on the large scale that Gratiots is but have variety of meats and other items. I think that the area of Gratiot/Russell could get more small store along that strip where the candle and incense store is at. A small tea and health food store will do go on that strip as well as a dry goods store that sells toiletries, soap, detergents etc. They still could have the nostalgic old design that the hardware and the candle stick stores had kept

I suggest Kaps. Always have what I want, at a good price.

bartock Guest

Cheech's Chicken in the Central Market. They have turkey sausage and ground turkey, Amish chicken, wings, etc. The chicken breasts are huge. Save yourself a half hour of work by asking whoever is helping you to filet it...give them a few bucks for the effort and you'll never wait in line again.

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com

Check out the web site, maps, descriptions, photos,
    Click on a business and it will highlight a map,
    you could spend hours on the web site and even longer
    if you go down there.

Anybody ever get any seafood from Al's Fish on Russell?

Stromberg2