Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Going Downtown - need best deli sandwich location

I've been to both the old and new eph's. Looking for something else, any suggestions. I really love corn beef. Thanks

Try either Mudgie's in Corktown or Russell Street Deli in Eastern Market.

hygrade deli, mich Ave & 25th

Hygrade IS closest to the Sy Ginsberg manufacturing plant, and totally old-school.

I also heard that Leo's in Eastern Market was pretty good, too.

Not in city proper but my favorite is Star Deli. 12 mile & Telegraph. Been going for years and nobody has topped them.

Russel St. Eastern Market. Hands down. Best patrami, best corned beef, best veggie options

Though star does have the best tuna. I dont even like tuna and I get it there every time

Foran's on Woodward near Congress. They still have sandwiches that were sold at the former Eph's.

who has the best roast turkey sandwiches..

Hygrade for corned beef.Star for pastrami.Get either with swiss,coleslaw and russian dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Not in city proper but my favorite is Star Deli. 12 mile & Telegraph. Been going for years and nobody has topped them.
    I also found a great deli, but it's in Pontiac. Tne Bronx Deli on Telegraph and Voorheis is outstanding !! Best Corned Beef sandwich out !!

Another great deli is the Bread Basket Deli at 10 1/2 Mile & Greenfield. You could dislocate your jaw on one of their sandwiches....

9mile&seneca Guest

I just finished the new book "Save the Deli" by David Sax. There's a whole chapter on Detroit. Apparently our Rye bread is better than any other city.

Louie's on Mack east of Russel is my favorite ,they also serve a great breakfast.

Mudgie's for sure. I miss working downtown.

The Midtown Deli on John R by the DMC is good, too.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Drove by Russell deli and it was packed and no easy parking due to eastern market traffic. Sarah I went to Mudgies and yes it was excellent.

Lunchtime Global wasn't mentioned but it's good. It's only open 'til three though. There's a 20% off coupon on their website. First National Building, Congress entrance. They open early to bake their own bread.

http://www.lunchtimedetroit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    +1, mudgie's is the best... AND they are moving from corktown to downtown.

Yesterday I had a reuben at the Hygrade Deli at Michigan Avenue & 25th Street. It was excellent and reasonable in price. Their soups are also great and only 2.00 dollars for a cup or 2.50 for a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    Lunchtime Global wasn't mentioned but it's good. It's only open 'til three though. There's a 20% off coupon on their website. First National Building, Congress entrance. They open early to bake their own bread.

http://www.lunchtimedetroit.com/

I love Lunchtime Global but I wouldn't call them a deli.

Hygrade Deli old school goodness

Louie's makes a great sandwich, but Mudgies is still my favorite. Louie's wins for breakfast though.

Where exactly is Mudgies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Where exactly is Mudgies?
    Currently it is in Corktown. But in Feb it will be located downtown next to Vicenti's, which is off of Library st.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast