Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default new blog about Matty Moroun

http://www.metrotimes.com/blog/newsblawg.asp?perm=719

...makes no sense for public park space to be blocked off like that..

I agree 100 percent hype. Absolutely ludicrous!

Here’s why it became an issue: Thurtell broke the story on his blog, joelontheroad, and this paper began writing about the issue. Folks over at the DetroitYes forum took notice and staged a protest softball game at the park. The city was getting embarrassed, and the corrupt Kwame Kilpatrick — who, like his mom sitting in Congress, has been oh so cozy with Moroun over the years —was no longer sitting in the Mayor’s Office.
    Yep, Urban, it's time for another softball game.

Fresh update from an anonymous forumer, via Joel Thurtell post May 9 headlined More of Matty's hijinks?

http://joelontheroad.com/?p=2318

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Yep, Urban, it's time for another softball game.
    I would be there. Sounds like fun and gets a point across.

funny...

the blue water bridge in port huron [[and point edward ontario) only has some of the cement highway barricades around the main pier by the river but its only to keep someone from driving up to it on the street that heads that way. there is a gap between two of them big enough to drive a train through. i know because there is a set of tracks that goes under the bridge at that point that they....drive a train through...

no security there at all...

Moroun's supporters are Morons...

Without him to secure public parks who will? He can't be blamed for people using public property. He tries to the best of his ability to secure it from the public, but the public seem to keep insisting on going on to public property!

[[How was that, in doing my impression of a Moron supporter?)

8. Default

Who cares about the bridge in Sarnia - Port Huron?

Come to Windsor, you can walk right up to the bridge and touch it... It runs through a university campus and a city park. Two roads pass under it...

Come to Windsor, you can walk right up to the bridge and touch it... It runs through a university campus and a city park. Two roads pass under it...
    i was commenting that the blue water bridge didnt have any Moroun security around it and its doing just fine...

you walk right up to the blue water bridge as well if youre so inclined to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    Fresh update from an anonymous forumer, via Joel Thurtell post May 9 headlined More of Matty's hijinks?

http://joelontheroad.com/?p=2318
    Snooping around the ball field this afternoon....

Attachment 1122

Attachment 1123

Attachment 1124

Attachment 1125

MIRepublic Guest

So, where's Kraig and Bill Shea? I mean, you guys are being insanely unfair to Matty, here, right?
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-10-09 at 10:43 PM.

Remember, it is not only about the land. It is about building in the airspace ABOVE the public park.

Maroun may not need to sink any more foundations, he may merely need to stretch a span across our famous public park on the river.

He cannot build above an active park.

It is on US to keep it active.

Fuck him and his empire.

At some point, the City of Detroit, gave the DIBC permission to put up a buffer zone. I think the permission that was given had a 5 year expiration date that came up last summer [[If anyone has the details and can clarify or correct this, please do so). But the City is horrible when it cames up to keeping up with its paperwork, this is what gives the the DIBC the ability to successfully deal with the City in court. During the City Council discussion, the Law Department and the Building Department were stumbling all over themselves and couldn't get their stories straight.

My theory is is Moroun just wants that park so he can continue to build his secret bridge that he built a section without permission, then claimed he had permission due to the Gateway project. Then he will say, it is half build, lets finish the job. Of course the Canadian government does not want this bridge so hopefully that will kill it. The Canadians are not fans of Moroun.

He will be the naked king of ruins in this town.

Boondoggler extraordinaire.

What a legacy for the little selfish man...

So, where's Kraig and Bill Shea? I mean, you guys are being insanely unfair to Matty, here, right?

Oh, I'm sorry, I was off taking payoffs.

Since you're a bit low on intellectual horsepower, lemme help you out: The legality of the fence issue has nothing to do with the debate on the necessity of a second span and second crossing. I understand that's extremely difficult for you to understand because of your blind hatred for Moroun that further incapacitates your limited ability to differentiate.

Someone tell me again how the Ambassador Bridge causes asthma and cancer [[nevermind dozens and dozens of factories and industrial plants that turn the air over Southwest Detroit a sickly yellow. It's not them - it's trucks at the bridge!)

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post

I hope you read my above comments. Like I've always stated, the public officials need to get checked for allowing situations to get to a point then trying not to claim responsibility for their own actions. The City not only knew about the bufferzone, they allowed it and approved it.

As for you, MIRepublic. Do you actually have any useful comments regarding the issue? Or are you only good at taking shots at people?

.. if another ball game is in the works, let me know..

Bill, I I have lived in SW Detroit for 30 years and I think you do not live there at all. You have not witnessed in your own home, as I have, the increase in grit and and grime since the trucks began to come trough the neighborhood in huge numbers. It is very noticable. Additionally, from my own experience, breathing in the summer has gotten much harder. I am a healthyperson but I had to take a breathing test recently and the therapist could not rule asthma out - that's how much my singer's lung capacity has been compromised. The air just is, whether you want to dismiss me or not, much worse in my experience.

Of course the Bridge does not cause asthma and cancer. Guns don't kill people. In our case, the trucks are causing this. How sad for me that the DIBC wants to double the capacity for trucks. I should move because Maroun wants to be richer and richer and I should just give up because he's withing his rights. And its so easy to sell my house, pretty as it may be, when the neighborhood is belching carcinogens.

As to your question, the Clean Air Task Force reports:

"What are the Health Effects of Diesel Soot? Combustion-related particulate matter is associated with a host of severe impacts such as heart attacks, stroke, cardiovascular death [[Dockery et al, 2002) and lung cancer [[Pope et al, 2002) in adults. In children, fine particles are associated with upper and lower respiratory impacts as well as retardation of lung growth [[Gauderman et al, 2004) and crib death. Carbon soot particles from diesel engines adsorb onto their surfaces other metals and toxic substances produced by diesel engines such as cancer-causing aldehydes [[like formaldehyde) and PAH [[polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.) Occupational health studies link cancers, particularly lung cancer to diesel exhaust exposures. Traffic studies suggest increased rates of respiratory and cardiovascular disease and risk of premature death near busy urban streets or highways."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .. if another ball game is in the works, let me know..
    In order to play softball this Spring, it looks like we will have to break through manny's new fence. Won't that be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    In order to play softball this Spring, it looks like we will have to break through manny's new fence. Won't that be fun.
    I am working on it and will let you all know once I have hashed things out.... I think we may need a bigger statement [[combine softball and a little more activism to boot...) to be made this time... I will let folks know as details come available...

Where are the fence scrappers when you need them?

Waiting.

Grinning.

Winning.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    I am working on it and will let you all know once I have hashed things out.... I think we may need a bigger statement [[combine softball and a little more activism to boot...) to be made this time... I will let folks know as details come available...
    I would suggest getting in contact with Rep. Rashida Tlaib. She led a protest against the fence this past Saturday.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2009905100472

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    I would suggest getting in contact with Rep. Rashida Tlaib. She led a protest against the fence this past Saturday.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2009905100472

Thanks leland,
    I have been in contact with her in previous weeks.
    I am also the on wh started the bridgewatch listserve and facebook group.
    Hope to have more details on this in the next couple of days ...
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...3879536&ref=nf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast