Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One thing the world [[or the country) doesn't recognize about Detroit is the conflict between Detroit and her suburbs.

From outside, that conflict seems suicidal and that much more unimaginable.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-25-10 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    One thing the world [[or the country) doesn't recognize about Detroit is the conflict between Detroit and her suburbs.
    That's just a nice way of pointing out the conflicts of race relations in the Detroit metropolitan area, which are among the worst in the country in my experience. I have not experienced the kind of bi-directional hatred between whites and blacks as I've observed and experienced in the Detroit area. Difficulties exist everywhere, but Detroit is different and I've never quite understood why. I have theories but nothing I can fully defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother James View Post
    That's just a nice way of pointing out the conflicts of race relations in the Detroit metropolitan area, which are among the worst in the country in my experience. I have not experienced the kind of bi-directional hatred between whites and blacks as I've observed and experienced in the Detroit area. Difficulties exist everywhere, but Detroit is different and I've never quite understood why. I have theories but nothing I can fully defend.
    Try the following:

The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit
    [[Thomas Sugrue)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=nLm...page&q&f=false

Redevelopment and Race: Planning "A Finer City" in Postwar Detroit
    [[June Manning Thomas)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=WqP...ISBN0691121869

Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism
    [[James Loewen)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=lx4...ed=0CCgQ6wEwAA

Quote Originally Posted by Brother James View Post
    That's just a nice way of pointing out the conflicts of race relations in the Detroit metropolitan area, which are among the worst in the country in my experience.
    I can't disagree. It's just so pointless, counterproductive, suicidal.

Interracial smiles can go a long way toward remedying this. I've seen it work first hand.

We here in the south have been dealing with perception issues a lot longer than the good people of Detroit. Get used to it, they don't go away easily.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Try the following:

The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit
    [[Thomas Sugrue)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=nLm...page&q&f=false

Redevelopment and Race: Planning "A Finer City" in Postwar Detroit
    [[June Manning Thomas)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=WqP...ISBN0691121869

Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism
    [[James Loewen)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=lx4...ed=0CCgQ6wEwAA

Hmm I wonder if "evil white people" play a prominent role in your cited "literature"?

The most interesting story comes from a business exec I met who went to China to speak to a group of well-intentioned high schoolers. He started calling off the names of American cities and of course, they all new LA, DC and NYC. The strange thing is that none of them knew about Chicago, Miami, Houston, Dallas or Atlanta. The second he mentioned the word "Detroit" the class became aglow and 65 hands raised in the air. Detroit = cars/music. Detroit is a brand and can mean many things. Chicago doesn't have that. Miami doesn't either nor does Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    [[snip)
    The one who said the place is an armpit told me about a work colleague who was knifed [[and died) in the D after venturing into a bad part of town at 2am. He was in Detroit on business and probably looking for nightlife in the wrong area.
    [[snip)
    This same scenario would not be unique to Detroit by any means. It could happen if you were in the wrong part of town [[at 2AM!!) in LA, Chicago, New York... et al. Actually such a scenario could happen in most any large city in the world.

So, being at the wrong place at the wrong time is hardly unique to Detroit. No matter where one travels... if you don't do your homework up front about the visiting locations... it can be risky.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    RE Wolverene:

That is pretty interesting stuff, I know databases track web stuff all over the globe.
    I was curious though since I don't know anything about this log viewer photo count related to the picture stuff.
    How would a data farm [[or people trackers) know if a photo image was positive or negative without physically looking at each one? , and how many people view these photos to track it? Is it the title of the photo? I'm ignorant about this.
    Well the databases themselves don't know the subject of the image unless someone assigns it. Take DYES for example. The photos on this website have captions. Searchable terms such as "blight, abandonment, and decay" could return results [[obviously negative) showing links to this site. The same can be said for captions that are "renovation, revitalization, new construction."

Positive and negative photos and can be quantified by assigning positive and negative attributes to certain words. Most photo sharing websites allow you to tag images. Just writing down certain searchable terms in a good or bad list, anyone can accurately figure out the ratio of positive to negative photos within a matter of hours.

I just had to throw this turd into the rancid punchbowl. Check out this discussion on TheLip TV.

"Not a word of English on any street signs". This "security expert/author" [[if you google his images, he comes off as a knife-wielding Chuck Norris/Steven Segal wannabee) clearly has some hallucinatory/delusionary disorder or has a weak grasp of relating the truth without going full tilt off the deep end.

Sovel seems to know what's up, but if you read the comments [[a bad habit to do), you see a whole lot of dumbness from our great land of ours proving it's us vs. the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2