Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Car Service - Metro Airport

can anyone suggest an affordable car service [[dependable, clean, etc) from airport to troy - and not Metro Cars.

Yikes.

I took a cab from Metro to my apartment in New Center and it was $50. The cab TO Metro from New Center was $30.

I suggest that you call a cab as soon as you land.

Doesn't Metro Cars have something approaching a monopoly to the airport? Troy is a good distance from the airport so anything you find is going to be very expensive.

Myself, I would take the bus to the closest possible point to my destination then a cab from there, but I'm odd.

<sigh>

Yeah, if we looked closely enough, I'm sure there is a tie-in between Metro Cars and corruption at the city and county levels...at least with the previous owner. It was sold in 2009 to a group in Taylor.

The airport has been one way connected individuals have profited very nicely indeed.

The duty-free store is at least partly owned and/or managed by individuals associated with Wendell Anthony.

There was an old Detroit News article that described how McNamara, when he was in his waning years, worked closely with the Kilpatricks and Cheekssss to get a better grasp on moving the inner-city electorate their way.

I'm sure I have it around here somewhere.

As far as the question...if you're there after I drop my girlfriend off in the early morning, you can hitch a ride. I'll be the pouting fool in the white Saab sedan.

Depending on your timing, you can bus it to Dearborn, then hop the train out to Troy for under $15. Otherwise be prepared to shell out $66 bucks with MetroCab. I'll be at the airport tomorrow working for a bit between 1-3 then heading in the Dearborn direction if you need some assistance.

SMART Bus Route 125 [[smartbus.org) goes from downtown Detroit to the airport. Of course, if you're in Troy, you'd have to get downtown. I live in downtown/midtown/new center, and regularly take 125. Yes, it takes about 80 minutes, but it's $2.00 and it drops you off right at the terminal. I can connect with 125 using DDOT 53 [[Woodward).IMHO, at the least, "real cities" have shared van services to the airport. I do find it surprising that the downtown hotels don't share an airport shuttle service, again, like most cities have.

Metro Cars from DTW to Dearborn [[Michigan and Telegraph) was 40 bucks! We had no choice, though, since our flight was cancelled and it was 2 am and the taxis were few and far between. We tried hitching a ride with the bus going to the Hyatt but they wouldn't make a detour!

Since they charge by the CAR, and not the passenger...it would be nice to create a little flashmob for one. You can fit at least four individuals in one of those sedans.

Tell your driver to use his damn turn signals...had one float into my lane on the way out this morning. Professional drivers, indeed!

I'm wondering if Tweeting when needing a ride from/to the airport might be a solution, in part.

A public transit bus, either DDOT or SMART, could easily and efficiently transport passangers from the airport to Downtown on a non-stop route down I-94. If there was frequent timing, 15-20min intervals, I think it would sufficient enough until a passanger rail could be built. Similar service should be offered to Ann Arbor and Dearborn. It would cost very little, yet would be a major improvement over what we currently have- the painfully slow hour and a half ride on a local bus winding through the city and the suburbs and finally to the airport. It is honestly a disgrace and probably a joke to much of the world. Complete opposite of the first impressions that are made when entring the city through our impressive and modern airport.

The airport authority clearly doesn't want convenient express bus service. After all, bus riders don't pay to park, and cab and metro car proprietors may lose money. As casscorridor says, our airport's lack of even quality bus service is an absolute disgrace and is a blight on our entire region. Heck, we don't even have shared passenger vans like pretty much every other city. By the way, I've brought this up to Smart officials, and they give the typical kiss-off bureaucratic response.

Quote Originally Posted by tompage View Post
    The airport authority clearly doesn't want convenient express bus service. After all, bus riders don't pay to park, and cab and metro car proprietors may lose money. As casscorridor says, our airport's lack of even quality bus service is an absolute disgrace and is a blight on our entire region. Heck, we don't even have shared passenger vans like pretty much every other city. By the way, I've brought this up to Smart officials, and they give the typical kiss-off bureaucratic response.
    There are two reasons SMART doesn't have express service to the airport. First of all, the Airport Authority has never totally warmed up to the idea. I'm not sure what can ever be done about that. Second of all, SMART just barely has enough money to run the services it runs, so in order to add an Airport Express bus, you'd have to eliminate some other service. What service would you eliminate? And that's really the core problem. Basically, we as a region are not willing to pay for anything but very minimal, watered-down transit, so that's what we have.

thanks to everyone who responsed to this post - appreciate the help and offer to help [[russix) - you are all the best - have a great holiday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Metro Cars from DTW to Dearborn [[Michigan and Telegraph) was 40 bucks! We had no choice, though, since our flight was cancelled and it was 2 am and the taxis were few and far between. We tried hitching a ride with the bus going to the Hyatt but they wouldn't make a detour!
    Isn't that a discount? I thought the flat rate for Metro Cars was $55? That's how much I paid the last time I used one...