Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do you want on City Council?

That's not a typo in the title. From viewing the threads, it appears, to me at least, that we judge elected officials and candidates based on who they're friends or enemies are, or what kind of demeanor or attitude they have. But, with this upcoming election and everyone's apparent desire for a positive change. I'm thinking that we should put more emphasis on "the what" it is that we want our elected officials to accomplish. If we, as individuals, identify what it is that we want City Council members to do, we have a better chance of identifying those candidates that will accomplish those things. Just a thought.

Retroit Guest

How about trying something different and creative? Let's see...improve city services and reduce "administrative" costs?

Work full time for their full-time paychecks. Too many are absent too often.

Stop walking in and out of council sessions. It is distracting and rude and implies you don't really care about everything that is going on, or that you have more important things to do.

Since you can't really do much about city services [[since you can't order department heads to do anything), wield carefully and skillfully the only weapon that you do have - control over the budget and contracts. Refuse money where it is being wasted and not accoplishing what the citizens want it to accomplish.

Hire competent staff who will be capable of helping you thoroughly analyse the items before you that require your approval.

A room full of Irishmen that will put in a full two hours of hard work and then retire to a local pub to pump their city salaries directly back into the economy.

Improvements would be immediate.

DetroitDad Guest

Locke09 has it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elPBqOvgl5w

I think Bing says it perfectly.

Can anyone tell where he's speaking from based on the widow view?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elPBqOvgl5w

I think Bing says it perfectly.

Can anyone tell where he's speaking from based on the widow view?

Based on the window design & city view, looks like somewhere pretty high up in the Ren Cen.

"What do you want on City Council?"

I'll take two up without.

Just watched the vid, not getting a warm fuzzy, low on style and zero substance [[ok he gets 1% for alluding to shrinking the size of city council) the rest was just a bunch of the respect rhetoric that is always overemphasized in minority politics. Please point me to where i can see some substance from this guy, other than old higlight reels of him on the court.

Blarf Guest

City council should stay the same. It makes for good entertainment. You can't script this kind of stuff.

I'm inclined to say that city council should be a herd of mindless sheep who do whatever Bing tells them. Yes, I know, this contradicts all ideas of democracy and fair representation, but the history of this city is enough to make a person long for a king.

Fortunately enough, we do have a large number of mindless sheep on the council, as it stands right now. Unfortunately, though, their shepherd is one of the most bizarre human beings I have ever seen.

Default Monica Conyers

I think that it is time that this woman went away. She needs some serious help. At least she needs charm school. She is a pill addict taking "Noclassatall" I made that up. [[LOL).

I meant Monica Conyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyinabag View Post
    I think that it is time that this woman went away. She needs some serious help. At least she needs charm school. She is a pill addict taking "Noclassatall" I made that up. [[LOL).
    I to, believe that she is a pill addict because her behavior is not at all that of an unintoxicated person.

To be quite frank, I don't have a clue as to the purpose of the city councel. The only reason they caught my attention this year is due to the majorities wierd antics; bickering like children and wearing tieras. WHAT ON EARTH IS THE JOB DESCRIPTION OF CITY COUNSEL MEMBERS AND WHO REVIEWS THEIR RESUMES?

4real Guest

"On the city council, hmmm, how about pressure on the council from more people
    who usually don't voice their opinion and less from the usual suspects, special interest local lobbyists.

I wonder how the petition drive is going for the Council by district ballot initiative.

I know they got a few siggy's at the poll exits, I wonder how many more they need so it
    ends up on the November ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    I know they got a few siggy's at the poll exits, I wonder how many more they need so it ends up on the November ballot.
    May not be needed to end up on the ballot. Detroit voters overwhelmingly approved changes to the city charter by a charter commission to be elected in November. The charter commission could possibly change the council to be elected by district.

I want committed intelligent people. The Mon-ster has already told us it is a part time job so lets make it one regarding pay. Lets take the extra money and put their offices in their respective districts with full time staff. Better yet, why not utilize empty police mini stations for district offices. I wonder, do we pay rent on all those not being utilized?

I want representation that is color blind. I live in a diverse community and we seem able to agree on what constitutes decent service without racial overtones. I have been in front of counsel on several occaisions in the past 15 years. I have been treated poorly by these elected officials. Heckled, would be a kind word to describe how I was treated. My last presentation, I was jeered at: I was reading a letter from Preservation Wayne's director which supported a community sponsored request. We had many community people in chambers, in support, I didn't look like them either, but was asked by the community to be, one of many speakers, to advance our cause. I took exception to the rudeness and was personally invited to move out of the city by our esteemed representatives. All I said was, I am a taxpayer. They need to all, just go! Texas sounds like a great place for them. Join KK.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I want committed intelligent people. The Mon-ster has already told us it is a part time job so lets make it one regarding pay. Lets take the extra money and put their offices in their respective districts with full time staff. Better yet, why not utilize empty police mini stations for district offices. I wonder, do we pay rent on all those not being utilized?

I want representation that is color blind. I live in a diverse community and we seem able to agree on what constitutes decent service without racial overtones. I have been in front of counsel on several occaisions in the past 15 years. I have been treated poorly by these elected officials. Heckled, would be a kind word to describe how I was treated. My last presentation, I was jeered at: I was reading a letter from Preservation Wayne's director which supported a community sponsored request. We had many community people in chambers, in support, I didn't look like them either, but was asked by the community to be, one of many speakers, to advance our cause. I took exception to the rudeness and was personally invited to move out of the city by our esteemed representatives. All I said was, I am a taxpayer. They need to all, just go! Texas sounds like a great place for them. Join KK.

Nah, Texas doesn't deserve to have all of them and KK. Move them all out of the country.

Although, I personally have had no problems or encounters on my visits to Texas nor has my friend whom have relocated their from Michigan. I have read a few articles of instances in which Texas police officers have harrashed or shot African Americans for no cause, so it may be a perfect place to ship those on City Counsel whom don't behave civilized.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Although, I personally have had no problems or encounters on my visits to Texas nor has my friend whom have relocated their from Michigan. I have read a few articles of instances in which Texas police officers have harrashed or shot African Americans for no cause, so it may be a perfect place to ship those on City Counsel whom don't behave civilized.

If that's you're logic, which is screwed up, you might as well let them stay in Detroit. The DPD have been known to shoot and harass everyone without cause.

What do we want? What about WHO do we NOT want? I think we all have the standard answer of we want what's best for the citizens of the City. But if you dig a little deeper, could there be someone out there, ANYWHERE, who fits the criteria for being on the council who still posseses the passion, the integrity, the grit, the know-how for running a big city? If so, step up to the plate...we need you.

I would like to see chili fries with sour cream on city council

How about people who give a damn about the City.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilgirl33 View Post
    What do we want? What about WHO do we NOT want? I think we all have the standard answer of we want what's best for the citizens of the City. But if you dig a little deeper, could there be someone out there, ANYWHERE, who fits the criteria for being on the council who still posseses the passion, the integrity, the grit, the know-how for running a big city? If so, step up to the plate...we need you.

The reason I said what and not who is because we need to first define what it is that we want. Whether your'e looking to buy a car, invest in a home, choose a college, etc., you're going to establish what you can live with and what may be non-negotiable. If you need a pick-up truck you're going to purchase a pick-up truck, you're not going buy a small sedan because a convertible is what you do NOT want.

kraig,

Your question was a good one.

You might also want to ask: "What do you want in voters?", because some don't even seem to know the purpose of City Council. If they don't understand the real role Council plays, and the power it does and does not have, how will they know what qualities they should seek in a Council person. They'll elect the person who promises to keep the streetlights on, rather than the person who talks about ensuring that the budget is aligned with priorities. The first sounds better, but Council can't do anything but pester department heads. The second sounds vague, but it is actually the thing that Council can do to ensure proper focus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast