Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wolverine Automobile Club

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...1&vsid=1&vgp=0

Had never heard of it. Looks like a fancy place to drive your brand new shiny Model T up to hang out with other motorers.

Hello BoD:

If that postcard is after 1912, then the WAC headquarters was in the Tuller Hotel at Adams Ave. and Park St. If it was before 1912, the headquarters were at the Griswold House Hotel - location unknown to me.

WAc was formed on June 30, 1910 and quickly absorbed the Detroit Motor Club. Later it merged with the DAC.

Below are images from Scarbough's Motoring Guide prepared with the aid of the WAC.
    http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...seq=51;num=xlv

Wonder where I can get a club emblem? Or a burgee for my car?

They sat around and talked about the latest Chalmers and Marmom speedsters while smoking opium.

Great post, Packman. Stuff like that is what makes this web site a gem!

Ray1936: Thanks for the kind words.

A little more research shows that by 1913 the DAC purchased a site [[unknown location) from the WAC and planned to built a clubhouse there. This maybe the site of the DAC today as the current building was completed in 1915 - little time to find another site. Coincidentally, Hugh Chalmers [[see post 3) was the first president of the DAC. Chalmers was nominated by Henry B. Joy, President of Packard Motor Car Co.

Anyway, the WAC seemed to have taken up residence about 1913 in the Springfield Building at 125 Woodward - across the street from the Ponchartrain Hotel. This carried on until at least 1919. Maybe this is when they merged with the DAC?

Finally, in post #2 I menttioned that the location of the WAC from 1910 to 1912 was at the Griswold House. This was also known at the Hotel Griswold located at Grand River Ave. and Griswold St.

Hope this all helps.