Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ken Cockel Jr. will not run for Mayor

Ken will not run because of the simple fact that if he loses, he will be out of a job. He dos not have the heart to risk it all. He is putting together his statement right now and mark these words, it will go something like this...

"In the best interest of the citizens of Detroit, and after consulting with my family and advisors, I have decided I can best help the City of Detroit by continuing to serve on the City Council and thereby I will not seek the office of Mayor....blah blah..blah..."

Kudos to Bing for selecting Hendrix to work on the turnaround team. "Keep your friends close and your enemies [[competitor in this case) closer."

Quote Originally Posted by RobTruth View Post
    Ken will not run because of the simple fact that if he loses, he will be out of a job. He dos not have the heart to risk it all. He is putting together his statement right now and mark these words, it will go something like this...

"In the best interest of the citizens of Detroit, and after consulting with my family and advisors, I have decided I can best help the City of Detroit by continuing to serve on the City Council and thereby I will not seek the office of Mayor....blah blah..blah..."

Kudos to Bing for selecting Hendrix to work on the turnaround team. "Keep your friends close and your enemies [[competitor in this case) closer."
    Wow, beating up on the guy after he lost.

I agree with you that he should not run for mayor because he doesn't show that mayoral aura. I'm was in favor of him finishing off Kilpatrick's term which is why I voted for him but a 4yr term, no. I was not going to vote for him in the fall. The Cobo deal and Conyers besting him made him look weak and a mayor is suppose to show strength in a city that needs a strong leader.

History just isn't on his side on this so I think its a good decision. Detroit voters pigeon-hold their council people, they don't see them as mayors and that history has held up over time. Any chance Cockrel had of breaking that mold went the way of the Cobo deal. However Cockrel can likely stay a council person as long as he chooses.

Stosh Guest

Monica!!! Here's your chance to really be someody!
    I hope she takes the bait and runs with it. She's just that narcissistic, I think.

What is the word for that from abnormal psychology class... delusions of grandeur?

Or this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Monica!!! Here's your chance to really be someody!
    I hope she takes the bait and runs with it. She's just that narcissistic, I think.

What is the word for that from abnormal psychology class... delusions of grandeur?

Or this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania

Don't encourage her. If her name is on the ballot, in this city, she could mess around and win. Remember, Dave Bing ain't no spring chicken.

Retroit Guest

"Egomaniacal", Stosh?

I wouldn't rule out Ken Cockrel's chances in the fall. A lot will depend on how well Bing does, and, really, how good a job could anyone do? Between now and the election, Ken will be able to make the same complaints about Bing that Bing made about him.

I would be glad for Cockrel to run for council in the fall if Bing is building momentum toward a good or even excellent 2010 - 2013 term.

Cockrel may get another chance. He is young and Bing claimed he would serve only one term. Perhaps a few more years in council could season Cockrel to succeed Bing.

If Bing is effective or even successful as mayor, it is his responsibility as a leader to groom at least three people to compete for his succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    "Egomaniacal", Stosh?

I wouldn't rule out Ken Cockrel's chances in the fall. A lot will depend on how well Bing does, and, really, how good a job could anyone do? Between now and the election, Ken will be able to make the same complaints about Bing that Bing made about him.

Isn't the deadline to turn in petitions this Tuesday May 12, 2009? If so, Cockrel has to make up his mind as to which office he'll run for, pull the petitions, and get them filled out and turned in by then. If he was assuming that he was going to win the special election, he may have already pulled peitions for the Mayoral election and gotten a number of signatures for it. If he can't get enough signatures for council in time he may not have a choice but to run for mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Don't encourage her. If her name is on the ballot, in this city, she could mess around and win. Remember, Dave Bing ain't no spring chicken.

In a mayoral primary that could include up 20+ names I think it unlikely Monica would ever finish in the top 5 let alone the top two. Remember the Detroit electorate [[while re-electing Kwame) did get rid of Bates on the council and the clerk Curry.
    I think this would be a great way to get ride of her.

Bing said the Cobo deal is going to be one of his top priorities. If he gets that done I think he'll be tough to beat. My hunch is that L Brooks has told Bing that he's willing to have a second go at it. If not why would Bing mention it as a top priority and set himself up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post
    In a mayoral primary that could include up 20+ names I think it unlikely Monica would ever finish in the top 5 let alone the top two. Remember the Detroit electorate [[while re-electing Kwame) did get rid of Bates on the council and the clerk Curry.
    I think this would be a great way to get ride of her.
    Ah yes, 2005. Damn, it has been that long. Yes, Detroiters did remove both Bates and Currie which shows that you can act a fool all you want. We will remember everything on election day.

As for ex-mayor Kilpatrick. Most Detroiters had decided on Hendrix then out of nowhere, a group of voters nicknamed "the street vote" which was at an undisclosed location was bought out in the open on election day. Detroiters like myself did not want Kipatrick returning but that damn street vote changed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Ah yes, 2005. Damn, it has been that long. Yes, Detroiters did remove both Bates and Currie which shows that you can act a fool all you want. We will remember everything on election day.

As for ex-mayor Kilpatrick. Most Detroiters had decided on Hendrix then out of nowhere, a group of voters nicknamed "the street vote" which was at an undisclosed location was bought out in the open on election day. Detroiters like myself did not want Kipatrick returning but that damn street vote changed everything.
    Yeah, the streets talked and I've never forgiven them for it. It's also ironic that they didn't start talking until the power went out.

But also remember that Kilpatrick got a big boost late in the campaign from the business community that raised money for him and assured us that he was the best thing for Detroit since the invention of windshield wipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Yeah, the streets talked and I've never forgiven them for it. It's also ironic that they didn't start talking until the power went out.

But also remember that Kilpatrick got a big boost late in the campaign from the business community that raised money for him and assured us that he was the best thing for Detroit since the invention of windshield wipers.
    Ah, yes the business community which included the Mayor-elect felt that Hendrix didn't have what it took to keep putting money in their pockets. How times have changed.