Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default help me with some research for a novel?

hi all and thanks for allowing the chance to chance to join your forums.I'm working on the prelims for a story set in Detroit around 1966 to 1971.I'm sure i'll be back for more help lol but at the present there a few things im looking for. The location of the greyhound bus terminal at the time[[street name), the hospital in that same area[[name and street name) the name of a popular soul food joint around the 20 grand or somewhere in that area.the name of the music store guys were buying their musical equiptment from at the time,and also an old school r&b mom and pop type record shop in that area also.Thanks in advance for any help you guys could me with this.anyone that knew the mucic r&b music scene in that area around those years and would be up for an phone interview, hit me up.

Thanks again

The Greyhound was on Larned, Bates, Randolph, Congress Block.

Detroit Recieving was the closest hospital. It was located NE of Greektown.

Grinnell Brothers was the music store.http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/grinnell

Being born in 1966 I am too young to remember the names of restaraunts or record stores.

ahhhh, thanks so much! awsum!!

Only record stores that pop into mind were definitely after. Hudson's sold reords, but it was no mom and pop. There was a Whites Records in the RenCen but it wasnot yet built, and even later there were Harmony Houses in Trappers Alley and in the Ren Cen.

I do recall a record store being on Woodward near Sander's but have no idea its name or if it was around in 66-71.

There were record stores around. I remember Capital Music on Grand River near Hubbell, where they also sold musical instruments, and there was a record shop on W. Chicago west of Birwood. I didn't hang out downtown so I don't know about record stores down there. Did most of my record shopping at Korvette's and Miracle Mart. I think Receiving was on St.Antoine between Clinton and Macomb. It was the place where all the overnight wounded were taken.

JT - if you can - go to King books and see if they have a copy of the Detroit Guide - edited by Martin Fischhoff. The copy I have is the fourth edition - 1974. First edition was in September, 1970. It will have answers to a lot of your questions. I found my copy at a rummage sale. The popular "soul food" places - Greenleaf Grill, Kirk's Open Pit and Mattire's Bar B-Q. Record/Music stores - The Hudson's store was The Land of Hi-Fi...others - White's, May's Records and Talking Machine Company, Smiley Brothers and Harmonie House. Good luck to you!

I seem to remember a Greyhound station on Washington Blvd and Grand River. Was that the terminal for suburban service?

Oh, good call, I have 1973 and 1975,. Going to check....Greenleaf's -- Linwood and Euclid. That name rang a friendly bell. I worked in the next block and we often went to Greenleaf's for carryout for lunch. I can hear that fingerlickin' and lipsmackin' going on right now. They served everything on a slice of white bread to soak up the yummy sauce.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-18-10 at 03:01 PM.

awww, you guys are GREAT!!! thanks sooo much!

I bought a lot of 45s at a little record store on Shelby, across from Capitol Park in the early-mid 1960s [[triangle formed by Shelby, Griswold and State). The name Capitol Park was misleading, as it was a bus terminal for the Grand River and Second [[maybe Hamilton) lines.

This is a great site to find out stuff about Detroit. I myself am amazed on the things I have learned from here.

If you're concerned about historical accuracy, I don't think Grinnells would be the music store to use. I could be wrong, but from what I remember Grinnells was mainly known for their pianos. If you're looking for a place where people were buying guitars, amps, drums, etc, I don't think that would be the store. Capitol Music was a store like that, Metro Music as well, but neither were close to downtown. They were both a few miles west of the downtown area, Capitol being a little bit closer to the area, on Grand River near Hubbel as someone mentioned. Metro Music is [[or was) on Southfield near Joy Rd, I think they may have been around back then, may still be in business. No idea what music stores were in the downtown area around that time.

Grinnells sold instrument's of all kinds, sheet music, and did rentals for students. I never saw records

There was a Head type Guitar and record Shop called Pick & Strum. I think it opened in 1970 +/- a year or two. It's in the 1973 Metro Guide, but not 1975. Earl Gormaine was an ex-WEXL DJ [[Country station), an expert on folk, country and bluegrass. He had an album of original compositions that he would play for you. Mostly acoustic instruments hung from the ceiling. He also gave lessons. Paraphrased from the Guide. The shop was on Greenfield and 11 1/2 Mile in Southfield, You had to go by it to get to the Raven. I believe it is still there with its red, white and blue paint job, but the shop is long gone. Of course, it was only open 3 or 6 hours a week, so it looked closed long before it actually closed. It would be funny if it was still open!

The 1975 Metro Detroit Guide rated Grinnell's record selection downtown as medium to good, while the outlying stores are not worth the effort.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-20-10 at 06:10 PM.

u r guys are great,cant thank u enuff for all the help,still can't find the detroit guide other than one on amazon from 83,but will keep searching.i live in florida so i imagine online is the only place i'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbowman View Post
    hi all and thanks for allowing the chance to chance to join your forums.I'm working on the prelims for a story set in Detroit around 1966 to 1971.I'm sure i'll be back for more help lol but at the present there a few things im looking for. The location of the greyhound bus terminal at the time[[street name), the hospital in that same area[[name and street name) the name of a popular soul food joint around the 20 grand or somewhere in that area.the name of the music store guys were buying their musical equiptment from at the time,and also an old school r&b mom and pop type record shop in that area also.Thanks in advance for any help you guys could me with this.anyone that knew the mucic r&b music scene in that area around those years and would be up for an phone interview, hit me up.

Thanks again
    Your book sounds amazing. Good luck from one author to another!

MAke sure to include lots of people leaving town in the storyline........ = )

u r guys are great,cant thank u enuff for all the help,still can't find the detroit guide other than one on amazon from 83,but will keep searching.i live in florida so i imagine online is the only place i'll find it.
    biblio, alibris and abebooks have 1974 versions [[may be from the same sellers).

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nadel View Post
    Your book sounds amazing. Good luck from one author to another!
    I second that. This book needs to be written.

JT - there are numerous experts in the field you are researching. If you go to: www.detroitmusichistory.com/About.html you will find a list of names complete with e-mail addresses for Jim Gallert, Lars Bjorn, Charles Latimer and H Fred Reif. Worth a try.

Was wondering what your story is about? I am in the middle of a novel set in Detroit in the sixties as well. I grew up on the northwest side on St. Marys street near six mile. My novel is set in this same area.

Admit to confused. Nice that JT wants to set a story in Detroit. How can this be amazing or needs to be written? No info supplied. Best wishes and all, but really, so drawing a blank!

Take a visit in stride, too afraid? Armchair author comes to mind. We aren't bad, we aren't evil. We won't eat you alive!

Tired of sharing our history and yes, angst too. Detroit is still amazingly vibrant. Understand, also that people want to tap into that core, but do your own damn research.

Much more respect for Tap. He grew up here and knows/lived our realities. Write about what you know.

Receiving Hospital was formerly St. Mary's Hospital. I don't know when the date and ownership changed. You will want to know that.

Grinnell's, at least the one one E. Warren near Outer Drive, also offered music lessons in a back room; sort of a storage room.

I worked at the Greyhound terminal during that timeframe until Greyhound laid 45 of us off after the race riot and during two Christmas seasons 66-68. I know my way around the unloading dock, baggage room and counter, and the downstairs package express if you have questions. Try to write me offline if you can. Maybe we could talk by phone.

Around '67-'71, I took organ lessons at Grinnell's downtown on Woodward. They also had records at the time. While they did sell various instruments, I agree that it was not the hot spot of the the music we're talking about. It was pretty a conservative place.

For soul food, a great one was Bush's Garden [[Gardens?) on Woodward next to the Bonstelle Theatre, north of Erskine.

Thanks again
    I was a regular patron of the Pick and Strum Shop for many years starting in 1963 until the late 70s or so. I knew Earl Gormaine very well, bought and sold several instruments there and also took some banjo lessons from one of his instructors. It was a very interesting place, unlike anything else in the Metro Detroit area. He had instruments that you could not find anywhere else, supplies and equipment that were bought by professional and amateur players who were traveling through the area. Earl was a real character and had a wealth of knowledge about folk music and performers. He played guitar and banjo, but only at a moderate level of ability. His shop was jammed to the roof with stuff and you had to be careful when you negotiated around in it. I have somewhere in my basement a couple of records that he made, playing and singing with various instruments. I don't think there are very many of them around. I moved farther away from his shop in the mid-70s so saw less of him after that. Also, other stores were springing up, such as Elderly Instruments in Lansing that were competition that he did not have before. I think he slowed down quite a bit as he grew older and I was told that he was selling everything and [[I think) was planning on spending time with an off spring who lived in Hawaii. If you would like more details on the store, Earl or anything about him I would be happy to help. Contact me at bscott2820@sbcglobal.net
    Bob Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast