Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default [[Why not) Kick out the jams, motherfuckers!

Just because it is!

[[Finally an uncensored version on youtube....)

Has anyone in this forum ever seen them perform in person?

I saw them at the Grande Ballroom, 1971, I think it was. What a concert! Iggy and the Stooges, MC5, I forget who else. Anybody remember who else was there? My ears were buzzing and ringing for days afterwards, and I put cotton in them at the concert. Wow!

scroll to the bottom and click on any venue including the Grande , from there you can find out who played there and the date
    have fun !

http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.com/index.html

Strangely, did see them at a catholic high school dance. They promised not to say mother fucker instead they said mother superior. Needless to say the dance got closed down. I thought it funny then and still think it's funny today

Anyone know what kind of guitar Wayne is playing?

There is an excellent film by Leni Sinclair [the German-born former wife of the MC5 producer John Sinclair] entitled "MC5: Kick Out the Jams". Along with great concert footage, it encompasses the controversy they spawned.

I saw the reformed MC5 in the late 70's a couple of times. Certainly not the same, but Rob and the volume were certainly there. One of those shows was at Royal Oak with Ronnie James Dio and Blackmore's Rainbow. Loudest show I've ever seen by far. I literally had to hold the seat in front of me as my hair was blown back from the volume.

Here are a couple of videos of the MC5 performing at Wayne State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cg0qJ-ieRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM6nasmkg7A

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfan View Post
    Anyone know what kind of guitar Wayne is playing?
    Wayne is playing a mid 60's Epiphone Wilshire guitar.

MC5 was big on attitude and heavy with their sound but pretty much a one trick pony.
    Their political angle and lack of real follow up material boxed them in.
    Of course, Iggy Pop got the most out of the least amount of talent I ever saw.
    How much can you milk such small content?
    At one point, he was more famous for barfing on stage, bleeding all over and falling into the audience.

Thanks for posting this. I saw them several times at the Grande. I don't remember now who else was playing. I also would see them at the Hideout in, maybe, 1967-68. Gret times.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

Just because it is!

Looks like one of the Tyner re-inventions. Sure isn't Davis on bass.

Iggy did fall off the stage that night at the Grande. I was glad he didn't seem to have hurt himself. I'm a folkie, I didn't "get" Iggy.

Forgot about the Hideout, saw them there too.

citylover Guest

Default summer '69

West park Ann Arbor...and yes they did the uncensored version....I was quite young.

Yeah, I saw the MC5 at the Rock N' Roll Revival at the State Fairgrounds in May '69. The Five did plenty of material that wasn't overtly political and is still listened to today. Shakin' Street immediately comes to mind. I heard Back In the USA played regularly at Bookies when that club was current.

RIP Don Van Vliet

very cool, thanks for sharing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyrcUlX7sPg

This ia a video of Rob Tyner back in wat appears to be the late 80s or early 90s. At first I thought he was just fucking around but it dawnd on me that he is really serious and the song is actually pretty good.

Yes, twice. First some field outdoors near GVSU. Then an outdoor fest @ some racetrack outside of GR in '72. It was then called the Clarksville Motor Speedway, now I-96 Speedway, I believe. Event was called Crest One and they were not billed but filled in for some cancellation. While past their heyday, they were really pretty great. Seger and others were also on the bill. Foggy mems.

Wow a post by Citylover. Prompted me. Also have seen Patrick's link b4. Poignant.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Looks like one of the Tyner re-inventions. Sure isn't Davis on bass.
    Not a Tyner band, this is the MC5 minus Michael Davis who left the band due to chemical dependency issues. This was during their time in Europe. Everybody but Rob is pretty much in serious trouble at this point with the drug use.

For being a bunch of "addicts" they sure got it down pretty tight in the video...

I was too young to see their orginal incarnation but I saw the reunion with the 3 surviving members plus special guests at the Majestic a few years back. Good show.

In all honesty, not being a Detroiter, the first time I heard about the MC5 was researching one of my favorite tracks of the 80's, "What time is love" by the KLF. It's one of those tracks that always seem to be ahead of their time. This still rocks dancefloors all over the place. Kind of like the same thing with New Order's "Blue monday", which, hard to believe, is almost 30 years old!!! I always wondered where that sample came from..... Afew years later Youtube was born and my answr was quickly found. Here's the original KLF recording. [[There's a substantial ammount od remixes which don't feature the MC5 sample. It took some time to find a good example...)

Original uncensored version.

Here's the video.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-18-10 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

Just because it is!

There's a local bookstore that has a particularly deep collection of books and media related to the MC5 and the milieu that surrounded them. I did a search of the MC5 on the Book Beat web site and this is what they offer.
    http://www.thebookbeat.com/shop/adva...tion=1&x=9&y=6

As a youngster hangin out in my yard one day, a friend comes flyin up the driveway on his bike all excited. He says man you gotta come and see this. So I jump on my bike and we pedal over to Lincoln Park where these long hairs are jammin in a garage. It was the 5, and they hadn't played a show yet. We hung out in the driveway listening to the sonic wail. Needless to say it had a big effect on me. I started letting my hair grow longer and bothered my parents for a guitar. They started playing some shows at a bar on Fort Street in Lincoln Park which is now Ball and Cue billiards. We were way to young to get in, but it was pretty easy to hear standing outside. Finally got to see them at some outdoor events like Wayne State.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast