Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default wayne state masters programs

what is the quickest,least strenuous masters programs at wayne state university?Especially one that leads to a doctorate degree program?

Retroit Guest

What do you want to do for a living?

they have a number of Master's programs that lead right into ph'd programs. cuts down on the time. friend of mine was telling me about them, so I do not know specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by LaDia View Post
    what is the quickest,least strenuous masters programs at wayne state university?
    Please don't go to Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by LaDia View Post
    what is the quickest,least strenuous masters programs at wayne state university?Especially one that leads to a doctorate degree program?
    You'll fit right in.

Retroit Guest

^ THE David Hall?

This is not the reason to get a Masters.

If I were you, I would talk with some students from programs that you are interested in. Talking with advisers from the program can range from uninformative to military recruiter. I've been burned by that place a couple of times so suggest that you do not buy into the propaganda the programs put out.

Now, what is the quickest way to the Master's? That' not an easy question to answer and borderline absurd. Unless you are going to get a huge fiduciary bump for just have any old Master's, your approach will doom you to roam the halls of that campus looking for a home. Also, some programs are enjoying heavier than average enrollment due to all of the people going back to school. While Wayne is one of the only "bigger" schools in this area that saw a 7% decrease in enrollment this past year, some "hot" programs are employing weeding out tactics ... because they can. Shame, but they have your money so they really don't give a shit.

My wife got her B.A. from Wayne in the mid 90's. She has been to Central and OCC before [[and SVSU after) and swears Wayne sucks terribly. I didn't believe it but since I have went there, left, went back and are leaving again [[between two different departments), I can agree with her. I have met a couple of really good professors at Wayne that have been the only thing that has kept me going. However, after completing what I am completing now, I refuse to give one more penny to that place. Overpriced; if I were your, I would consider throwing my money down a different hole.

lilpup Guest

Punk, what exactly did you not like about Wayne? What made it so bad for you?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Punk, what exactly did you not like about Wayne? What made it so bad for you?

How much time do you have? lol.

Well, I try and address it from a few approaches. First, they nickle and dime the living hell out of you. "Off-site" students should not have to pay the mandatory Rec Center fee. I have a gym membership and would never set foot in that place; I'm sure I'm not the only one. The mandatory Ombudsman fee is way out of line. As if the tuition isn't already through the roof, certain programs sock you with an additional program and/or technology fees.

With the registration fee every semester [[147 per), these "costs" tacked on an additional 1,800 bucks to my loan this year. That's outrageous seeing that the computers are outdated, some push software packages are are overpriced and problematic and instructional spaces and educational resources have severe HVAC issues and are horrifically outdated and smell [[some do not have windows). I can't understand why they continue to throw up new building after new building while not putting some attention to other facilities; not everyone goes to Med or Engineering school.

As a digression, the Palmer entrance breezeway in the Wayne Law School smells honestly like elephant piss. I think circus every week I walk through there.

Dealing with any of the services is like pulling a building permit in the city of Detroit. Everything takes absolutely five fucking times longer than it needs to be. Some are nice, but some of us are on a 1/2 lunch break dealing with a University tuition payment fuck up, so could you move it along a little? I'm not looking for turbo, just put one fucking foot in front of the other a little quicker, eh?

Academically, first I would say poor advising. I went through the whole thing; this is what I want to do, this is what I think I will have to take to get me there, what does your program offer to get me there, what do I need to take in your program to get me there, how am I doing working toward getting there, etc. One department adviser at the undergrad level said "sure thing, you're on target" only to find out at the end of the semester that two out of the 3 departmental courses I took wouldn't apply to my degree. When I talked with her later on in the week to inform her that I had it and I was transferring, she didn't care.

At the grad level, I was assigned an adviser that was on sabbatical for the year. I'm on my third program adviser [[who is absolutely kick ass) at the end of my first year. I've had many instructors that were woefully prepared, insolent, lacked sufficient instructional experience, uninspired and unmotivating, inaccessible and late. This brief listing is the majority of my interactions; there have been a few instructors who would not have one attribute on that list. This is unacceptable for the cost of tuition. I'm not there paying to get a degree, I'm there to learn and become as knowledgable in a field as I can and gain the tools necessary for sustained upward mobility. It's not my problem a department is growing unchecked too fast and it is unacceptable for departments to plug the holes with inexperienced instructors.

I'm not going to get into the intra departmental politics that has bled into the classroom.

It's tacky to support an argument with personal experience, so filed this under F.W.I.W.: I haven't bumped into one person yet that has had a positive, out the door experience at Wayne. Mostly, the feedback resembles the same way people feel about going to the dentist, DVM, or pay their taxes: It's bullshit.

Now, I'm not positing that my experience is true for all and there are no positive experiences. I'm sure that there are more than a few out there who have had them and I think that needs to be acknowledged because there is so much negativity about the University.

I would agree with baseline to an extent. I received my Bachelors from Wayne and had a pretty good experience [[meeting friends, teachers etc). But they do nickle and dime the hell out of you. I have been emailing advisors for three months about the masters program. One never got back to me and the other three just directed me to someone else. My sis when back to MSU for her masters and registered and got right in. They told me because I took a class at Macomb, I have to re register and take one more 5000 class to qualify. It is a huge joke and a damn shame. I even had one of my teachers tell me not to go back for my masters at WSU.

What Wayne State needs to do is combine all those bullshit extra fees into the tuition. Just make it one damn fee and get on with it. Hell, maybe even combine book/lab fees into it as well. Oh, that and put cameras in the parking lots so we can catch the little...or big fuckers stealing and messing with cars.

I appreciate the viewpoints from multiple perspectives...as a couple people gave earlier. That way there's a direct comparison that can be made. For example, for reasons I will not go into on here, I'm familiar with the operations at Wayne State, University of Michigan, and Michigan State. Complaints about fees and tuition are universal for American college students. Including the ways fees are tacked on. At UofM, students pay tuition [[which includes actual instruction, infrastructure maintenance, and health services), a registration fee, a Michigan student assembly fee, a student legal services fee, a school & college government fee, as well as any lab fees [[if youre taking a class with a lab). That's on par...or worse than...the added fees tacked onto Wayne State tuition.

In terms of instruction, Wayne State is not as prestigious as either Michigan State or Michigan...so in many programs they do not attract the best faculty candidates. However, compared to just about every other college & university in Michigan...Wayne State's faculty is superior or on par. For example, I would choose to attend Wayne State over probably any other university or college in Metro Detroit, if overall quality of faculty was my only criteria. Of course, overall quality doesnt mean much in graduate school...where you should focus on the quality within your field of study. And university politics is a widespread problem too...not just at Wayne State. Especially nowadays where new hires have been slowed...a lack of promotions...and even scaling back of departments...there are many disputes over performance, promotions, and support.

Wayne State is notoriously bad for processing things VERY slowly & even mishandling documents. So I agree with complaints there.

Advising is a tough category to assess for me. So much is individually based...and people expect different things from advisors. Certainly, any advisor should be able to accurately give basic help. Like if youre taking classes that you didnt need, nor did you want to take...then that is very bad advising. Unfortunately, sometimes the students themselves dictate the quality of advising received. Some advisors treat students with lower GPAs, lower qualifications, or a lack of interest differently than their "shining stars". For example, if an undergrad like the original poster shows up in their advisor's office & asks for the easiest masters programs, they likely will not get the exact help they may expect, lol. But like I said, this is difficult to assess...and I believe that there are probably many bad advising stories related to Wayne State. But other places have advising problems as well.

Anyways...these are just my viewpoints. Everyone sees things differently. Wayne State is far from perfect...but I find that some people tend to only find the worse in the university as well. And many of the complaints arent exclusive to just Wayne State.
    Last edited by Zug; May-09-09 at 09:22 PM.

Wayne State is notoriously bad for processing things VERY slowly & even mishandling documents. So I agree with complaints there
    Well one time they misplaced a check of mine for $900. So I had to go down there and straighten it out becaujse I couldnt understand the ghetto dialect the girl was speaking on the phone. So when I get there the one girl told her manager..."dis white boy loss hiz check...what we gun do bout it?"

In terms of instruction, Wayne State is not as prestigious as either Michigan State or Michigan
    Dunno about that being 100% true since it depends on the program. My brother transferred from WSU to MSU and thought Wayne's professors were much better prepared and just as respected in the field.

I understand that "things happen everywhere"; I take that into consideration as a given. I think that the reason all of those fees are not in the tuition is that if they did people may get a little sticker shock and not even bother. This way the universities can get attract a student with showing them competitive tuition. Then once the student gets the dog and pony show about just how "awesome" everything is, students start to get their pockets picked.

As far as the comparisons of Wayne, U of M, etc. I really don't think it's truly fair to compare those institutions; they are different tiers of schools overall. Personally, I expect U of M and State to be very expensive. I eventually went to OU and finished up my undergrad there. OU and Wayne are both considered tier 4 schools. The facilities at OU are far superior than Wayne. While OU may be considered a "newer" school, Wayne has had a tremendous amount of money flow through it over it longer existence.

As far as instruction, OU wins hands down. Again, filed under F.W.I.W., the professors I interacted with were far more accessible, engaging, encourage/motivate and extremely prepared and knowledgeable in their fields. Yes, there were some duds; but contrary to Wayne they were by far the minority. Further, I would have to say that even the professors at OCC were better than Wayne's; again relative to my experience. There were some Ph.D students from Wayne that adjunct at OCC that would hint at some of the stuff my experience corroborated.

It may be argued that this foreshadowing perhaps contributed to my bias about Wayne before I even stepped into the door and currently helps shape my opinion about that University. However, building on my previous statement regarding this area, I will included that my mother went to Wayne as well. Also, one must take into consideration that I had been "gunning" to go to Wayne two years before I even got there; I was working my way there. Therefore, one easily can understand that in my case, despite all of the foreshadowing and other "writings on the wall", I took all of that under advisement; checked my bias as best as a full time student could and proceeded any way.

Students who attend a college become de facto spokespersons for the college. Yes, the old word of mouth advertising. Unfortunately for Wayne, prospective students [[friends and family) are advised by me that if the seek a good four year college that they look elsewhere than Wayne. Personally, I gave that place not only first crack, but a second chance [[even in differing departments). As stated earlier, it's not worth it. I advise these people to check places like [[if they are no U of M/State bound) WMU, OU, EMU, Central and the like.

The facilities at OU are far superior than Wayne
    Oakland's library sucks. Wayne State, even with dumpy Purdy Kresge, WSU wins hands down. During my 2 semesters at Oakland I was amazed at how poorly run their library system was.

The actual library building [[and HVAC) is in far better shape than Purdy/Kresge. Now if you want to argue regarding the collection in the library and how the library staff serves their patrons, then I would say that discussion should happen. Regarding collection; I found Kresge at OU to be lacking in the breadth of their collection and had no other choice but to tap Purdy/Kresege for a few research projects while at OU.