Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mike Illitch passes on Pistons?

I heard something on the radio today, just caught the end of it, that Illitch has withdrew his bid on the Detroit Pistons because Mrs Davidson won't come down on her 450 million dollar asking price and Mr Illitch also found some discrepencies with the finances of the whole empire. Anyone else hear anything to that effect? If so, please comment.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-17-10 at 03:48 PM.

L Brooks Patterson is happy about that. Does/will he ever shut up?
    http://www.freep.com/article/20101217/COL06/12170357/

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    L Brooks Patterson is happy about that. Does/will he ever shut up?
    http://www.freep.com/article/20101217/COL06/12170357/
    I respect someone who fights for their constituents.

But not when they kick their neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I respect someone who fights for their constituents.

But not when they kick their neighbours.
    I agree with you as well. I have no problem with Patterson trying to keep the Pistons in Oakland County.

Last year, when Fouts was trying to get GM to move their headquarters to their tech center in Warren, I didn't blame him at all. I completely disagreed with him, but he's the mayor of Warren and is trying to move jobs into the city. If anything, I applauded his effort.

I have not seen 1 article that says he "passes" or "withdrew his offer".

Someone please post a link?

lilpup Guest

"stalled" "major impasse" no "withdrew" yet

I'm a little surprised [[though I suppose I shouldn't be) that the Pistons pitched inflated revenue numbers and thought they could get away with it.

Now, for consideration, will the Pistons post better revenue numbers if they move downtown? Or will the benefits come more from the consolidation of services that Ilitch envisions [[dual use arena perhaps with smaller capacity allowing higher ticket prices, existing parking available)?

I hope Ilitch still ends up buying it, even if he ends up partnering with another co-buyer, perhaps the middle-eastern investors..

DetroitPole Guest

The problem is not Patterson or Fouts fighting for their constituents. The problem is that when they fight for something against the City of Detroit, they are "fighting for their constituents" or "we are all one region", yet when Detroit tries to do the same, it is "poaching" [[quote from Patterson) and against the spirit of regionalism. It is hypocrisy at its worst.

Of course, making the argument that in the long run a vital urban center would be in the best interest of their constituents is way over their heads.

I shake my head when suburbanites damn the people of Detroit for the leaders they elect when the suburban politicians are little better, perhaps even more short-sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I'm a little surprised [[though I suppose I shouldn't be) that the Pistons pitched inflated revenue numbers and thought they could get away with it.
    That's why I have a hard time buying it. They both have extremely smart people working this deal and both sides know that. Plus Ilitch has Tom Wilson who knows the Pistons inside and out. Why would KD's side think they could pull a fast one on Ilitch?

It was just like when some people thought that Ilitch was going to take advantage of Karen Davidson. People were acting as if KD had hired H&R Block to take care of her affairs.

Easy come, easy go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    The problem is not Patterson or Fouts fighting for their constituents. The problem is that when they fight for something against the City of Detroit, they are "fighting for their constituents" or "we are all one region", yet when Detroit tries to do the same, it is "poaching" [[quote from Patterson) and against the spirit of regionalism. It is hypocrisy at its worst.

Of course, making the argument that in the long run a vital urban center would be in the best interest of their constituents is way over their heads.

I shake my head when suburbanites damn the people of Detroit for the leaders they elect when the suburban politicians are little better, perhaps even more short-sighted.
    Exactly......besides Patterson has been a loose cannon for years, he does nothing except pander to the ballot box. Sure every politician does that to an extent, IMHO Patterson is only me me me me me.

One thing that Mike Ilitch has going against him in this Pistons/Palace/Entertainments sale is that Mike Ilitch eventually wouldn't have a use for the Palace. So for him that building is an albatross as far as buying the entire package.... while for other interested parties.... that building would be an integral part of the entire package...

Obviously I want all the Detroit sports teams to be great and to that end, a new downtown arena would be very desirable for a number of reasons. I also love Illitch as the Tigers and Wings owner, he's one of the best going in all of sports.

The issue is Mike won't be around that much longer and having him holding three Detroit sports teams is scary. Now the family is stable but things change when the old man passes and having those franchises put up for sale at the same time in separate deals, could be a disaster.

I think what would be best is new money in Detroit and a deal with Illitch in the next few years for a multi-purpose downtown arena. If Illitch does buy the Pistons there is some chatter he may sell the Tigers, this also plays into my thinking because the Tigers are my #1 sports team.

I don't care if Illitch owns it or not, as long as this new stadium gets built downtown and both the Pistons and Wings move into it.

Im at the point where I refuse to drive out to Auburn Hills to see the Pistons anymore and this is probably one of the reasons why the attendance sucks there lately.

I can be at Comerica Park and Ford Field in about 15 minutes, and about 25 minutes for Joe Louis arena by parking downtown and taking the people mover.

The Palace takes me atleast an hour to get their, and then there is usually 15 minutes of traffic just to get out of the place and on to the freeway.

Sure the Palace is a nice facility, but the place is 22 years old and its getting to that point where it will need to be replaced in the next 7-10 years!

The Joe is only 31 years old and needs to go!

They just don't make these sports arenas like they used to. Its amazing we got 96-97 years out of Tiger Stadium
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; December-19-10 at 06:41 AM.

If anyone thinks that once Mike Ilitch passes, that the family business empire is going to crumble [[like the Davison's is currently doing)... I beg to differ.

Unlike Karen Davison.... Marion Ilitch is no trophy wife... she's the power behind the throne. Once Mike passes, I can see her running the entire business empire [[granted gambling and baseball are still a no-no combination).... and being Michigan's most powerful woman for at least another decade.

Plus, unlike Bill Davsion's son, the Ilitch children have been involved in the day to day business activities of their parents companies. Chris Ilitch is involved in Little Caesars, Atanis Ilitch in Ilitch Holdings. Although Denise Ilitch has had some squabbling with her brother Chris, it appears that she also may still be involved with the family business.

But the Ilitch empire likely will still be intact long after Mike is gone...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-19-10 at 05:37 PM.

Gristok,

I agree. Its just a shame that Karen Davidson has run the Pistons into the ground ever since her huspand died.

Neither arena "needs to go" and it isn't that they don't "build them like they used to". Its just that the economic power of professional sports is so much greater than it was in 1970. There are so many arenas like Joe Louis that were built in the 1960's, 70's, and even through the late 80's that were still very serviceable, yet not able to meet revenue opportunities that became available as professional sports became popular entertainment for the upper and buisness classes.

The Palace was the first arena to embrace luxury seating to such a degree, and changed the way future arenas were designed. If the Wings had stayed at Olympia ten more years [[the building was still good, but the location wasn't), and then went in with the Pistons and built an arena equivalent to the Palace downtown, this discussion wouldn't be happening. The Palace could stand for another 50 years if it had been built downtown for both teams.

http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I don't care if Illitch owns it or not, as long as this new stadium gets built downtown and both the Pistons and Wings move into it.

Im at the point where I refuse to drive out to Auburn Hills to see the Pistons anymore and this is probably one of the reasons why the attendance sucks there lately.

I can be at Comerica Park and Ford Field in about 15 minutes, and about 25 minutes for Joe Louis arena by parking downtown and taking the people mover.

The Palace takes me atleast an hour to get their, and then there is usually 15 minutes of traffic just to get out of the place and on to the freeway.

Sure the Palace is a nice facility, but the place is 22 years old and its getting to that point where it will need to be replaced in the next 7-10 years!

The Joe is only 31 years old and needs to go!

They just don't make these sports arenas like they used to. Its amazing we got 96-97 years out of Tiger Stadium

lincoln8740 Guest

uh could it be possible that attendance is down because the team sucks?

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    uh could it be possible that attendance is down because the team sucks?
    Don't try to use common sense like that to prove an ignorant and uneducated post like that wrong. It is blatantly obvious nobody goes because they are not at the corner or Woodward and Congress.

Please pay no attention to the 259 sell out streak they had from 2004 - 2009 while leading the league in attendance. Nobody would EVER go out there to see a pistons game since it is not dead center downtown. Being one of the worst teams in the NBA has nothing to do with it.

/sarcasm

Gristok,

I agree. Its just a shame that Karen Davidson has run the Pistons into the ground ever since her huspand died.

Yeah, what a shame. Bill Davidson loved the Pistons, and would do anything in his power to keep them at or near the top. Seems like the Missus is only interested in keeping her outlandish lifestyle in order [[ They're house is ridicolously large) Don't know why his Son wouldn't take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Yeah, what a shame. Bill Davidson loved the Pistons, and would do anything in his power to keep them at or near the top. Seems like the Missus is only interested in keeping her outlandish lifestyle in order [[ They're house is ridicolously large) Don't know why his Son wouldn't take over.
    We all know it was Bill's baby, but let's not pile on Karen Davidson because the Pistons aren't her passion. Just because she married a guy who had a team that he was passionate about doesn't necessarily mean that she had have the same level of passion as he did. After Bill passed, it was more of an obligation and a burden to her- so I don't see a problem of her selling off the team to someone else who will care for it the way Bill did.

Beyond the Pistons, she still has plenty more assets to keep her lifestyle going. Let's not forget that the Pistons were not the sole income of the Davidsons. Don't you think that Guardian Glass is still providing a steady income for her? Heck, all she would have to do is stop some of the philanthropic gifts [[hoping that they don't) and she could live just fine. The Davidsons were listed as the 68th richest people in the US alone with $3.5 billion dollars in assets.

So before we assume that it's to fund Karen's "outlandish lifestyle" [[maybe outlandish to you because many of us aren't even in that stratosphere), I don't fault her for wanting to sell this asset off. The Pistons were an asset her husband felt strongly about, not her. As far as her "outlandish lifestyle"- let's see you prove some examples of it. The size home they have might be large than 99% of the people in Michigan but y'know what- they can afford it and why should we or anyone else bag on their lifestyle. I have yet to see where she's squandering the Davidson empire and if you do- I'd like to see examples of it.

She would be doing a greater disservice to Bill's memory and to the area by hanging onto it and letting it go sour because of her lack of involvement. She doesn't need this albatross hung around her neck and neither should anyone else who doesn't have the drive and commitment to own a sports & entertainment franchise.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-20-10 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    That's why I have a hard time buying it. They both have extremely smart people working this deal and both sides know that. Plus Ilitch has Tom Wilson who knows the Pistons inside and out. Why would KD's side think they could pull a fast one on Ilitch?

It was just like when some people thought that Ilitch was going to take advantage of Karen Davidson. People were acting as if KD had hired H&R Block to take care of her affairs.
    I think it's just business. Sellers want top dollar and buyers want to lowball. If this deal between Illitch and Davidson are going to go through, it'll probably be hammered out so it's beneficial and economically sensible to BOTH sides. I don't see one side taking advantage of the other here just because I know both sides are stocked with smart savvy business people.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    We all know it was Bill's baby...[[snip)

The Pistons were an asset her husband felt strongly about, not her. [[snip)

She would be doing a greater disservice to Bill's memory and to the area by hanging onto it and letting it go sour because of her lack of involvement. She doesn't need this albatross hung around her neck and neither should anyone else who doesn't have the drive and commitment to own a sports & entertainment franchise.
    I don't fault Karen Davison for what she's doing... but what does come to mind is that if Bill Davison cared so much about the Pistons.... then why didn't he make contingency plans for how they were going to continue on after his demise.... it all seems rather sloppy on his part. At least the Ilitch's are making succession plans... seems that Bill Davison didn't want to let go of his power [[until it was too late).... and the result is what we have today...

Bill Davidson was so stuck on himself that he probably never even thought death was possible. Therefore, making it pointless to make a succession plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't fault Karen Davison for what she's doing... but what does come to mind is that if Bill Davison cared so much about the Pistons.... then why didn't he make contingency plans for how they were going to continue on after his demise.... it all seems rather sloppy on his part. At least the Ilitch's are making succession plans... seems that Bill Davison didn't want to let go of his power [[until it was too late).... and the result is what we have today...
    how is this "sloppy"? It's not like they are spending a decade in probate court warring with various heirs to detrmine ownership of the team. His wife got it and she, like many wives after the passing of a entrepreneurial husband, wishes to sell off one of his businesses she has no intention to run. Had Davidson died 5 years earlier, this transaction likely would have concluded faster. Both the economy and the team were different then. He had the misfortune to die during a depression and while his team is one of the worst in all of professional basketball. Alive or dead the sale in today's market was not going to be smooth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast