Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short rant

Default Short rant

Really wish folks walking or bike riding around the city would wear reflective clothes at night. I drive Vernor, Kercheval, Mack & Jefferson often at night and it's a little scary that instead of sidewalks people use the streets. I would be devastated if I hit someone. They would be dead.

Heh. I saw someone walking down the street during the recent snowstorm in a white coat. Brilliant.

Joggers! Carry ID so we know where to ship the body!!

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Really wish folks walking or bike riding around the city would wear reflective clothes at night. I drive Vernor, Kercheval, Mack & Jefferson often at night and it's a little scary that instead of sidewalks people use the streets. I would be devastated if I hit someone. They would be dead.

You do realize that the sidewalk is NOT the place for a bicycle to be ridden.

CPSC requires bicycles to be equipped with front, rear, wheel and pedal reflectors. State law requires front and rear lights when a bicycle is operated 1 hour before sunset and 1 hour after sunrise.

Vox Guest

True, but maybe you can get those blue bright headlights like I've been seeing around town. Not only would you see them better, perhaps you could warn them off, sort of. Or slow down?

Slow down, pay attention. Never know when you'll need to stop to not hit a kid. People tend to feel more guilty if there was nothing they could do to avoid the crash: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...fe-after-death

I don't agree that cyclists would do better to be on the sidewalk. Studies show that crashes are more likely if a cyclist is on the sidewalk. Same goes for riding against traffic. People don't walk at ~15+mph. Cars in the metro area almost always blow right past the sidewalk so they don't have to double stop to enter traffic.

Suburban cyclists, though, seem to feel safer doing that. They also get in more accidents. http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2010/12/1...shes-2005-2009

Although most cyclists will live longer than most motorists. You will probably die from a heart attack. http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/pha/osr/...ty&CoCode=1749

As always, comments to posts are amusing.

Love my car and don't plan to die too young. My business is gardening and I get more exercise in a day then most Americans get in a year.

But I am really serious, my night vision isn't all that hot. Really really do not wish to hurt someone. People in the street meant for vehicle traffic need to be aware they can die, if hit. It just makes no sense.

So again, it's all about you. If your night vision isn't too hot maybe you shouldn't be driving in the dark. The street is for vehicles, not just cars. And with all the poor-mouthing you've done here, I'd expect you to realize that purchasing reflective clothing is a low priority for the mostly impoverished citizens of your city.

As always, comments to posts are amusing.

Love my car and don't plan to die too young. My business is gardening and I get more exercise in a day then most Americans get in a year.

But I am really serious, my night vision isn't all that hot. Really really do not wish to hurt someone. People in the street meant for vehicle traffic need to be aware they can die, if hit. It just makes no sense.
    True. Though I bet people aren't unaware of the danger.

Fuck robocop, I think Detroit needs roboplows and roboweed trimmers to help maintain the sidewalks.

Mike M whats up? Change your screen name? Plenty of trolls out there. That comment was uncalled for.

On a defensive mode, plenty of forumers, do know me. My husband and I would pretty much do anything, for any one, if worthy. Have fun with that comment. Worthy is quite subjective.

No, life isn't all about me. Just don't want to hit someone who is not using good judgement.

Mike M whats up? Change your screen name? Plenty of trolls out there. That comment was uncalled for.

On a defensive mode, plenty of forumers, do know me. My husband and I would pretty much do anything, for any one, if worthy. Have fun with that comment. Worthy is quite subjective.

No, life isn't all about me. Just don't want to hit someone who is not using good judgement.
    The judgement of the cyclist in the street at night is just as good as your judgement driving at night with poor night vision. They are legally using the street just as you are.

Vox Guest

If you can't see at night, the headlights I mentioned will be a huge help for you to see someone that you may or may not miss. I am replacing mine soon with these, as I'm getting a touch of issues related to aging. See below:

Definition of HID
    High intensity Discharge is light from a plasma discharge rather than a filament. The system involves a ballast to start the light and certain gasses to create the light. Overall the system uses less energy than halogen , while producing 3 times more light.

How HID lights work
    High Intensity Discharge Lights do not have a filament. Instead light is created from an electrical discharge between two electrodes in a micro-environment of xenon gas and metal halide salts. The light is emitted by an electrically energized gas -- a plasma discharge-- formed and sustained between the two electrodes.

The distinctive blue-white light of HID lamps stimulates the reflective paints in road markers and signs creating a safer driving environment. Additionally, the increased light output is designed to illuminate a wider area in front of the vehicle, improving visibility and safety, without disturbing the vision of oncoming drivers.

XENARC® HID lamps have over three times the lumens per watt of traditional halogen light sources and are more efficient at converting electrical energy into light. They produce at least 70% more light than traditional lamps, and use less power while producing less heat. This gives designers new freedom to explore the frontiers of front end design. By creating more compact headlights to fit smaller spaces, better aerodynamics are possible

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ID/default.htm

Thank you for info on new lighting for cars.

Just don't quite get, how people can fault me for not wanting to hit folks in dark clothes walking in streets after dark.

Oh, oh, I get it, its all about me again. I am a hugh shit for not wanting to kill someone for stupid behavior and for that matter driving while old. My bad!

I guess it's a matter of where you live. It's illegal to walk and jog in the street where I live, and it's also illegal to ride a bicycle at night without lights on the front and back. The laws are enforced and people have received tickets. No one ever complains about these laws here because they realize it's for everyone's safety. When I ride down busy avenues at night, I'll notice traffic will see my flashing back light and merge over to the next lane nearly a block back.

So again, it's all about you. If your night vision isn't too hot maybe you shouldn't be driving in the dark. The street is for vehicles, not just cars. And with all the poor-mouthing you've done here, I'd expect you to realize that purchasing reflective clothing is a low priority for the mostly impoverished citizens of your city.
    Last time, I checked, people of all incomes own at least one white piece of clothing that can be seen at night. Bikes also come with reflectors standard. Not every state has a "pedestrians have right-away" laws. At least here in Chicago, they don't apply mid-block. So who obeys the law? We all do....the way it should be.

In Michigan you're supposed to have a white light in front and at least a red reflector in back. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[xm3...me=mcl-257-662

Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it though. DPD/WSUPD are busy.

Have many friends and family who bike to work. If they don't use reflective clothing I will happily buy.

That's me, old fart, driving aimlessly around city streets hoping to kill idiots.

I myself work afternoons for the most part. I can see where you need to share the streets with folks on bikes.But I have seen many a time people walking down the middle of the street as if they were an Automobile. Not even talking about winter. Dead heat of summer.With sidewalks running along side of the street.
    Blame it on lack of Mass Transit, Jobs or whatever.People walking or riding should be aware of those driving,What really gets me mad is when someone thinks that the law saying that pedestrians have the right away, Giving them the right to walk down the middle of the street or to just dart out into traffic is a joke.Dark clothes in the black of night,Or the wearing of light colored clothes during a snow storm.I have seen it all.

While I have reflectors on my bike, I do need to invest in some reflective outerwear. Thanks for the reminder. But drivers, do me a favor. At dusk, or when raining or snowing, turn you lights on. Its not so you can see better, its so we can see you. You are not saving your battery by not turning your lights on. In some states it is against the law to drive with your wipers on and your lights off.

Thank you Downriver, reflective clothes help avoid accidents. Inspired by my own rant, am buying same for joggers, bikers in my family.

Most of my driving is in the city but would like to note that I also drive in GPP alot. Don't mind sharing the road but GPP takes the cake for stupid arrogance. I won't even let my husband drive there. He does this quiet road rage and if I am the passenger I have to listen to him howl.

Ravine Guest

Sumas, I've not been hesitant to snarl at you when I think you're full of it, but I really, really don't see how your expression of concern over the idea of accidentally running someone over can be interpreted as being "all about you."

Ravine, see Mike M post.

When I am full of it, have at me. I am a tough old bird.

Just really do worry about careless behavior. My husband's Aunt crossed a street stupidly with her infant child. The baby died.

Years before my time, but things like that do bother me. I have to see that grave everytime we visit my husband's father's grave. What a stupid waste of life.

Ravine Guest

Jesus!! I saw MikeM's post!! What the hell did you think elicited my grumpy response?

Now, see, here we go...

Bikes are for kids. Keep your Huffy's on the sidewalk, in the park or chained up in front of a microbrewery. The road is for suburban commuter vehicles with big V8 engines and fast food wrappers from delicious corporate restaurants. It will NOT be shared! Now go run along and buy some reflective clothing for your safety, regardless!

Jstone, Huh????

...in the street meant for vehicle traffic...
    I think that's the telling/controversial part of your message.

Sounds like you meant that only cars belong in the street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast